Parallel-ish Theories Terminology

In summary, the conversation discusses the overlap between different theories and their explanations in the field of science. The term for this overlapping area is still up for debate, with suggestions such as converging, subsumes, and approximate being considered. This concept is important in the history of science and can be seen in examples such as Newtonian physics vs. relativity and pre-Darwinian vs. post-Darwinian classification. Ultimately, there may not be a perfect word for this relationship, but there are several to choose from depending on the context.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What is it called went to different theories (or kinds of theories, apparently) overlap in their explanations over major parts of their explanatory field and you want to talk about the area of overlap in the phenomena they explain?

Classic examples:
  • Newtonian physics vs. relativity, similar explanatory power until special circumstances are examined, like observing behaviors adjacent to big masses.
  • Pre-Darwinan classification, vs. Post-Darwinian classification (almost identical classification of know species, based on entirely different underlying concepts), both predicted more similar things should be grouped together.
These kinds of transitions are important in the history of science.
I am interested in what would be the best term for the overlapping groups of observation, rather then the part of their explanatory field where things diverge.

My question is kind of thesaurus-istic:

if A and B are two different theoretical explanations and
A is newer and
it also covers a larger field of observations (or a large explanatory range)
if A explains the observations of B plus some other stuff, which word would be best name that relationship or or the area of explanatory overlap?
What if the relationship was among many different theoretical approaches?

Does A incorporates B?
Does A subsumes B?
Does A explains B?
Does A encompass B?
Does A absorb B?
Does A assimilate B?
Does A include B?
Does A embraces B?
Does A consolidates B?
Does A covers B?
Does A deals with B?

Some of these come from my computer thesaurus.
There may not be a perfect word, but several choices, preferred for different reasons, thus no obvious answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
BillTre said:
I am interested in what would be the best term for the overlapping groups of observation, rather then the part of their explanatory field where things diverge.
I have indeed heard of converging theories, points of view, or explanations. But converging was the verb.

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
if A and B are two different theoretical explanations and
A is newer and
it also covers a larger field of observations (or a large explanatory range)
if A explains the observations of B plus some other stuff, which word would be best name that relationship or or the area of explanatory overlap?
What if the relationship was among many different theoretical approaches?
In physics, if you consider, e.g., relativity and Newton's laws, you may say that Newton's laws are a special case of SR, or you may say SR covers a broader range of velocities, and it reduces to Newton's laws when ##v \ll c##. I don't know if this terminology will be appropriate for the example you gave in biology.

Likes BillTre
Wrichik Basu said:
In physics, if you consider, e.g., relativity and Newton's laws, you may say that Newton's laws are a special case of SR, or you may say SR covers a broader range of velocities, and it reduces to Newton's laws when ##v \ll c##. I don't know if this terminology will be appropriate for the example you gave in biology.
You might also say that Newton's laws approximate special relativity (under the appropriate conditions).

Likes Wrichik Basu and BillTre
I'd go with subsumes.

Likes BillTre

1. What is the difference between parallel theories and parallel-ish theories?

Parallel theories refer to scientific theories that are completely independent of each other and do not intersect or overlap in any way. On the other hand, parallel-ish theories are theories that may have some overlapping concepts or ideas, but are still distinct from each other.

2. Can you provide an example of a parallel-ish theory?

An example of a parallel-ish theory is string theory, which is a theory that attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature. It has some overlapping concepts with quantum mechanics and general relativity, but is still a distinct theory on its own.

3. How do parallel-ish theories impact the scientific community?

Parallel-ish theories can lead to healthy debates and discussions within the scientific community, as they provide different perspectives and approaches to understanding a particular phenomenon. They also encourage scientists to think critically and consider alternative explanations.

4. Are parallel-ish theories considered less valid than parallel theories?

No, both parallel and parallel-ish theories are equally valid in the scientific community. While parallel theories may have more evidence and support, parallel-ish theories can still contribute valuable insights and advancements in scientific understanding.

5. How do scientists determine which theory is more accurate in a parallel-ish scenario?

In a parallel-ish scenario, scientists use evidence and experimentation to determine which theory best explains the observed phenomenon. They may also look for areas of overlap and try to reconcile the two theories to create a more comprehensive understanding.