Parallel Fortran Programming Help Wanted

In summary, it takes more than just a compiler to parallelize your code. You need a program that is capable of being parallelized and the algorithm on which the code is based must be capable of being parallelized.
alabdullah
Hi mates
please are there anybody help me to make parallel program
best regards

Technology news on Phys.org
alabdullah said:
Hi mates
please are there anybody help me to make parallel program
best regards
What tools do you have to make a parallel program? Do you have a Fortran compiler which is capable of generating parallel code? Do you have a computer with parallel processors on which to run your code?

I use FORTRAN 90 and GFORTRAN on cluster
I did a program and got good result but it is so slow
can you help me to make it faster
Sorry I'm not professional in FORTRAN to know which compiler is good
regards

Likes NascentOxygen
Is this a homework assignment?

In general, it takes more than just a compiler to parallelize your code. The algorithm on which the code is based must be capable of being parallelized.

gfortran supposrts OpenMP; dedicate a good hour of your time to google and find a handful of pages on OpenMP, tutorials and examples so that you understand what it takes to parallelized parts of your porgram, if at all possible.

If you know which do-loop in your program is the most time-consuming and if it can be parallelized, you will see that it only takes no more than 10 extra lines of code to parallelize.

Likes FactChecker
I know which loop need parallel but it included some subroutine , and I don't know how to use openMP.

Most home-made programs do not need parallelization, they need optimization. First try to speed up your program by optimization before going parallel.

I tried it but it still slow

Learning parallel programming is not something we can teach you here. There are some tutorials online on how to use OpenMP or MPI. There are also some good books on the subject. I learned OpenMP with B. Chapman et al., Using OpenMP (MIT Press, 2008).

A warning, it takes a while to get used to parallel programming.
I understand the basics but don't ask me to parallelize a simulation (for example) because I'll be stuck.
This was after a semesters worth of lectures and hands-on sessions.

OpenMP is the easiest way if you're not that familiar with the concepts while MPI is generally more powerful. (Luckily there are some new functions in MPI3 that can help you avoid deadlock at the cost of some performance.)

Here are some common errors you can encounter with full-blown parallel computing
https://wiki.csiro.au/display/ASC/Frequent+parallel+programming+errors

There's also the BSP library which introduce an entire paradigm to model algorithms with a reasonably good book by Rob Bisseling. I'm more familiar with this idea than OpenMP or MPI but again, I'm a novice at best. The advantage for this approach is that the cost model is very simple.

Can you expand on the algorithm you want to parallelize, maybe parallelizing it is hard or next to impossible even.

Thank you sir for your replay
may I send you my program to see it and give me some feed back about it,please

If it is impossible to post here (proprietary reasons or otherwise) I guess you can.
By posting it here we could get more eyes on it that might see something that is a serious bottleneck.
I can't guarantee I come up with anything.

Also what you could try is checking out optimization when compiling, https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.6/g77/Optimize-Options.html
Using such optimization flags leads to a serious increase in performance.
I have some data on an example I used to test the effectiveness of the flags for C-code, I'll try to dig it up tomorrow.

Thank you so much sir

Your description of the problem loop 'calls a subroutine' to me: screams for inlining and localization of data. the -finline-functions compiler option will force inlining.

Next, if - then - else branch prediction failure can take a big negative performance bite when prefetching the correct code and data. Especially with several if - then clauses inside one loop. Even worse: Each if branch calling a different subroutine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_predictor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline_expansion

Consider this before trying parallelization. There is less to learn.

Likes JorisL
hi mates
If I have main loop ,but there are many small loops
if I want to make it parallel.
what I must do?

It all depends on what the loops do.
Ideally you would parallelize the main loop.

This does require that the iterations don't use results from a previous iteration. Otherwise you'll need to see if you can make it so.
Can you give a sketch of the algorithm in pseudo code we don't have enough to go by.

Related to Parallel Fortran Programming Help Wanted

1. What is parallel Fortran programming?

Parallel Fortran programming is a method of writing computer programs using the Fortran programming language that allows for multiple tasks to be executed simultaneously. This can improve the performance of the program, especially for complex calculations and simulations.

2. Why is parallel Fortran programming important?

Parallel Fortran programming is important because it allows for faster execution of programs, which is crucial for scientific and engineering applications that require large amounts of data and complex computations. It also allows for better utilization of resources, such as multiple processors or cores, to improve overall efficiency.

3. What are some common techniques used in parallel Fortran programming?

Some common techniques used in parallel Fortran programming include message passing, shared memory, and hybrid programming. Message passing involves passing data between different processors, shared memory allows for multiple processors to access the same memory space, and hybrid programming combines both techniques to optimize performance.

4. What are the challenges of parallel Fortran programming?

Some challenges of parallel Fortran programming include dealing with synchronization and communication between different processors, managing shared resources, and ensuring that the program is free of errors and bugs. It also requires a good understanding of parallel computing concepts and efficient algorithms to fully utilize the benefits of parallel programming.

5. Where can I find help with parallel Fortran programming?

There are several resources available for help with parallel Fortran programming, including online tutorials, forums, and documentation from Fortran compiler vendors. You can also reach out to experienced Fortran programmers or consider taking a course or workshop on parallel programming to improve your skills.