Parallel electric plate question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the final velocity of an alpha particle and an electron released from positive and negative plates, respectively, with specific voltage and distance between the plates. The conversation also provides hints and steps on how to approach the problem using equations and concepts such as electric field, force, acceleration, and conservation of energy.
silvercyanide88
1. If an alpha particle (q=+2e, m = 6.64*10^-27kg) is released from the positive plate (Vab=120V and the distance separating the plates is 12cm), with what velocity will it hit the negative plate?

2. An electron is fired from a negative plate toward a hole in a positive plate. It then passes between two parallel plates that are 3cm long and 2cm apart with a voltage of 550Volts across them. If the accelerating voltage across the two original plates is 900 volts what is the final velocity of the eletron?

Ooooh my head spins. I haven't the slightest clue where to start. Could someone give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
-1- What is the magnitude of the electric field in that region? What is the equation for the force on a charged particle due to an E field? What equation relates force and acceleration. What equation relates acceleration and velocity?

-2- Draw the geometry, and draw the E field lines. Use the equations from -1-.

Quick Hint:[itex]q\Delta V = [/itex]Change in Kinetic Energy

Last edited:
Okay, so I got the first one... but the 2nd one boggles my mind. Could you give me a more... obvious hint? I tried doing vectors but that confused me even more...

silvercyanide88 said:
Okay, so I got the first one... but the 2nd one boggles my mind. Could you give me a more... obvious hint? I tried doing vectors but that confused me even more...

Using conservation of energy, you should be able to calculate the speed of the electron when it comes out of the original plates (this is the same as question 1).

Now let's pretend that the electron is moving along the x direction (with a v_x given by the speed you found just above) when it enters the second pair of plates (which are horizontally aligned so that the electric field between them is vertical).

the steps are:

a) figure out the E field between those two plates.
b) Figure out the electric force on the electron (which is a vertical force)
c) Find the vertical acceleration of the electron
d) using the velocity along the x direction, figure out how long it takes ti get across the plates

and then there is a last step that should be clear.

Patrick

Ah, yes. Thank you so much.

Related to Parallel electric plate question

1. What is a parallel electric plate question?

A parallel electric plate question involves two conducting plates that are parallel to each other and have equal and opposite charges. The plates create an electric field between them which can be used to calculate the force and potential difference between the plates.

2. How do you calculate the electric field between the plates?

The electric field between the plates can be calculated by dividing the potential difference (V) between the plates by the distance (d) between them. This can be represented by the formula E = V/d.

3. What is the purpose of a parallel electric plate experiment?

A parallel electric plate experiment is used to demonstrate the properties and effects of an electric field. It can also be used to measure the charge on the plates and to study the behavior of charged particles in an electric field.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect the electric field?

The electric field between the plates is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases and vice versa.

5. Can a parallel electric plate experiment be used to measure the permittivity of a material?

Yes, a parallel electric plate experiment can be used to measure the permittivity of a material. By inserting a dielectric material between the plates, the capacitance of the system changes and can be used to calculate the permittivity of the material.