Parallel Circuit Voltage Calculation: Solving for Voltages using Ohm's Law

In summary: If all it's Ok, I think that this exercise is solved, thanks for your help with this problem.In summary, the student attempted to solve a circuit problem by using voltage and current information. However, he was not successful because the problem was not clear or complete.
saulwizard1

Homework Statement

Solve the next circuit to find the voltages

Homework Equations

I=V/R
GT=(1/R1)+(1/Rn)
V=V1=V2=V3

The Attempt at a Solution

My background is that I know that in a parallel circuit, the voltage for each component is the same and electric current it's equal to the sum of the electric currents of each one of the resistances by separate. My first and only attempt was to multiply the 5A by 3 ohms.

Attachments

• 15-5.jpg
    15-5.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem statement is not clear or complete. What do you mean by "Solve the next circuit"? Solve for what? Please make an effort to provide clear problem statements that can be readily understood by the Homework Helpers.

What was your motivation for multiplying 5A by 3 Ohms? What about the 1A source and the other resistor?

Hint: You are given a current through one of the resistors. Does that give you any useful voltage information?

Likes amrmohammed
gneill said:
Your problem statement is not clear or complete. What do you mean by "Solve the next circuit"? Solve for what? Please make an effort to provide clear problem statements that can be readily understood by the Homework Helpers.

What was your motivation for multiplying 5A by 3 Ohms? What about the 1A source and the other resistor?

Hint: You are given a current through one of the resistors. Does that give you any useful voltage information?

According what I understand, the 2.4A would help me to get the voltage using Voltage=(current)(resistance), or in what way can it help me?

saulwizard1 said:
According what I understand, the 2.4A would help me to get the voltage using Voltage=(current)(resistance), or in what way can it help me?
Review your own Attempt at a solution content, the answer's there!

Likes amrmohammed
gneill said:
Review your own Attempt at a solution content, the answer's there!
I made a procedure and I get that the voltage=4.8V and the current for the resistance of 3 Ohms it´s equal to 1.6A, am I right?

saulwizard1 said:
I made a procedure and I get that the voltage=4.8V and the current for the resistance of 3 Ohms it´s equal to 1.6A, am I right?
Looks good.

Likes amrmohammed
gneill said:
Looks good.
If all it's Ok, I think that this exercise is solved, thanks for your help with this problem.

Related to Parallel Circuit Voltage Calculation: Solving for Voltages using Ohm's Law

1. What is a parallel circuit?

A parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which there are multiple pathways for the flow of electric current. This means that the components in a parallel circuit are connected in such a way that the current has more than one path to follow.

2. How do you calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit, you can use the formula: 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of each component. Once you have calculated the total resistance, you can use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the total current in the circuit.

3. What happens to the current in a parallel circuit if one component fails?

In a parallel circuit, if one component fails, the current will continue to flow through the other branches of the circuit. This is because each branch has its own pathway for the current to follow, so the failure of one component does not affect the others.

4. How do you calculate the voltage across each component in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the voltage across each component in a parallel circuit, you can use the formula: V1 = (I * R1) / (R1 + R2 + R3 + ...), where V1 is the voltage across the first component, I is the total current in the circuit, and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of each component. This formula can be used to calculate the voltage across each component in the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of parallel circuits?

Parallel circuits are commonly used in household wiring, where multiple appliances can be connected to the same electrical outlet without affecting each other. They are also used in electronic devices such as computers and televisions, where different components need to receive the same voltage but have different resistance values. Parallel circuits are also used in the power grid to distribute electricity to different areas and buildings.