Parallel capacitor, electrostatic energy

In summary, the stored electrostatic energy in an isolated charged parallel-capacitor will increase if the separation between the plates is increased. This is because the electrostatic energy is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. The formula for electrostatic energy is PE = -qe⌂x. To increase the energy, work must be done to bring the plates further apart.
dinhjeffrey

Homework Statement

if the separation between the plates of an isolated charged parallel-capactior is increased, why does the stored electrostatic energy increase?

Homework Equations

C=eA/d
e= permitivity of space

The Attempt at a Solution

i do not know the equation of electrostatic energy, is it E = (1/4πεo)Q/r2?
if so, then if distance increase, the radius in this here equation would increase therefore the electrostatic energy should be lowered?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi dinhjeffrey! :smile:
dinhjeffrey said:
if the separation between the plates of an isolated charged parallel capacitor is increased, why does the stored electrostatic energy increase?

hint: what do we have to do to increase energy? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi dinhjeffrey! :smile:

hint: what do we have to do to increase energy? :wink:

wait which formula is for electrostatic energy again? i get all the electric formulas mixed up ><

does the formula matter?

what do we have to do to increase energy? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
does the formula matter?

what do we have to do to increase energy? :wink:

umm do we increase temperature? i am really bad at physics ><

First you have to know what electrostatic energy is, look that one up in wikipedia for instance (use all the resources at your disposal, search the net, look through your books, then ask questions).
How does the electrostatic energy change when the distance between the plates in a parallel plate capacitor is changed?
Can you find the answers to these questions?

ojs said:
First you have to know what electrostatic energy is, look that one up in wikipedia for instance (use all the resources at your disposal, search the net, look through your books, then ask questions).
How does the electrostatic energy change when the distance between the plates in a parallel plate capacitor is changed?
Can you find the answers to these questions?

yeah i was confused when i googled it because i thought electrostatic energy isn't the same as electric potential energy.
oh okay i think i get it. is it because PE=-qe⌂x, so if you increase distance, PE(electrostatic energy) increase too?

Correct! You solved your problem :-)

why not just use change in energy = work done ? :rolleyes:

do we have to do work to bring the plates nearer, or further apart? :smile:

Related to Parallel capacitor, electrostatic energy

1. What is a parallel capacitor?

A parallel capacitor is a type of electronic component that stores electrostatic energy and consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, also known as a dielectric. It is called a parallel capacitor because the plates are aligned parallel to each other.

2. How does a parallel capacitor store electrostatic energy?

A parallel capacitor stores electrostatic energy by creating an electric field between the two plates. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other plate becomes negatively charged. This separation of charges creates an electric field that stores energy.

3. What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of a parallel capacitor?

The formula for calculating the capacitance of a parallel capacitor is C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance in farads (F), ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

4. What is the significance of the dielectric material in a parallel capacitor?

The dielectric material in a parallel capacitor is significant because it determines the amount of electrostatic energy that can be stored. Different materials have different permittivity values, which affect the capacitance of the capacitor. A higher permittivity means a higher capacitance and vice versa.

5. How is a parallel capacitor different from a series capacitor?

A parallel capacitor is different from a series capacitor in that the plates are aligned parallel to each other, while in a series capacitor, the plates are aligned in a series. This results in different capacitance values and different uses in electronic circuits. Additionally, a parallel capacitor can store more energy than a series capacitor due to its larger capacitance value.