Parallel Axis Theorem / Bending Stress

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation but had difficulty understanding why the stresses were so low. They found that if the load is applied along both the x and y-axis, then the stresses are twice as high. They then determined the dimensions of a beam using the parallel axis theorem and found that the beam is too thin and needs to be increased in size by 1.25".
ksukhin

Homework Statement

find bending stress in x and y dir

Homework Equations

I = bh^3/12 + ad^2
Stress = Mc/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I = bh^3/12 + ad^2
Stress = Mc/I

see attached calculations

Diagram.jpg
Diagram.jpg
Solution.jpg

My prof gave us a question where we have a motor (20" tall) sitting on a frame with a load of F=3300lb. I have to find the bending stress in x and y direction. I have attached my solution but one part differs from my profs.

When looking at Iy my prof does not use Parallel Axis Theorem but I do, and we get completely different answers. Why? Why are my stresses so low?

Diagram: https://ibb.co/gUs2Hx
Solution: https://ibb.co/fegOPc

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,018
  • Solution.jpg
    Solution.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,655
Physics news on Phys.org
There are some errors here. And missing info on loading. Is the 3300 pound applied at the top of the motor along the x-axis in case 1 and then along the y-axis in case 2? Or are the loads applied along both axes at the same time?
Now when applied along the x-axis in case 1, it makes a big difference whether the walls of the frame act independently or as a joined pair. If independently, each wall takes half the load and the parallel axis theorem does not apply. Your Ix about the y-axis will be quite small without the extra term. If however as I suspect the side walls are tied together, then you use the parallel axis theorem and on determining bending stress, use full load not half load, and your Ix must be doubled since there are 2 sided and your 'c ' distance is quite wrong...what should it be?
Now for the other axis Iy about the x-axis is determined without any distance to the parallel x axis, because the centroid of the walls and frame coincide.

PhanthomJay said:
There are some errors here. And missing info on loading. Is the 3300 pound applied at the top of the motor along the x-axis in case 1 and then along the y-axis in case 2? Or are the loads applied along both axes at the same time?
2 separate cases, first along X axis and then along Y axis starting from the centre line.

PhanthomJay said:
Now when applied along the x-axis in case 1, it makes a big difference whether the walls of the frame act independently or as a joined pair. If independently, each wall takes half the load and the parallel axis theorem does not apply.
So can i think of this case as a cantilever beam with a load at the end?

PhanthomJay said:
If however as I suspect the side walls are tied together, then you use the parallel axis theorem and on determining bending stress, use full load not half load, and your Ix must be doubled since there are 2 sided
So M = (3300)(35)= 115500 lb-in
Ix = 2 [bh3/12 + Ad2] = 2(270.11) = 540.22 in4

PhanthomJay said:
and your 'c ' distance is quite wrong...what should it be?
from my understanding, C is the distance from the Neutral Axis to the highest stress point. Since the cross section is a rectangle, half would be in tension and half in compression starting at the midpoint. Since the height is 1.25" i took the half of that value as my distance c.

Do I have to take into the 5.75" from the centreline aswell? c would then be 5.75+(1.25/2)=6.375in >>>which is the same as my distance d above
Substituting my new values σ=Mc/I = (115500)(6.375)/540.22 = 1363 psi = 9.4 MPa, still relatively smaller than in other direction.

PhanthomJay said:
Now for the other axis Iy about the x-axis is determined without any distance to the parallel x axis, because the centroid of the walls and frame coincide.
Thank you, I had a feeling that was why but wasn't sure.
But in this case, since I took half the load and analyses only 1 side of the frame, there is no need to double it like in the above case?

2 separate cases, first along X axis and then along Y axis starting from the centre line.
ok , good.
So can i think of this case as a cantilever beam with a load at the end?
yes
So M = (3300)(35)= 115500 lb-in
Ix = 2 [bh3/12 + Ad2] = 2(270.11) = 540.22 in4
yes
from my understanding, C is the distance from the Neutral Axis to the highest stress point. Since the cross section is a rectangle, half would be in tension and half in compression starting at the midpoint. Since the height is 1.25" i took the half of that value as my distance c.
that would be correct if the walls acted independently, but if acting together as a combined section, that would be incorrect. I think they act together, but perhaps not as well as a boxed section that is all one piece, but close enough it seems.
Do I have to take into the 5.75" from the centreline aswell? c would then be 5.75+(1.25/2)=6.375in >>>which is the same as my distance d above
edit: not quite since 'c' is the distance to the extreme outside edge
Substituting my new values σ=Mc/I = (115500)(6.375)/540.22 = 1363 psi = 9.4 MPa, still relatively smaller than in other direction.
right again! (After correcting c value)
Thank you, I had a feeling that was why but wasn't sure.
But in this case, since I took half the load and analyses only 1 side of the frame, there is no need to double it like in the above case?
well you get the same answer either way, but technically if you are asked about the Iy of the combined section, it's 2(bh^3/12). Good work.

Last edited:
PhanthomJay said:
edit: not quite since 'c' is the distance to the extreme outside edge

So does that mean my C distance would be 5.75+1.25 = 7" - which is up to the furthest point on the wall thickness.

How would my cross section look as far as tension/compression? Initially I thought that half the wall thickness would be in tension and half in compression.
Since I'm looking at the walls as one piece does this midpoint happen at the center line now? Say anything above the center line is tension and below is compression? - I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around this because of the gap in between the walls. No material there to carry the stress.

ksukhin said:
So does that mean my C distance would be 5.75+1.25 = 7" - which is up to the furthest point on the wall thickness.
That is correct.
How would my cross section look as far as tension/compression? Initially I thought that half the wall thickness would be in tension and half in compression.
Since I'm looking at the walls as one piece does this midpoint happen at the center line now?
yes, the centroid of the box frame, which is the neutral axis, the centerline y-y axis.
Say anything above the center line is tension and below is compression?
yes, where material exists
I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around this because of the gap in between the walls. No material there to carry the stress.
tension stresses exist in one wall and compressive stresses in the other. Max tension or compression stresses occur at 7 inches left or right from the centerline. There are no stresses in the gap.

Likes ksukhin
Thank you for explaining everything!

Related to Parallel Axis Theorem / Bending Stress

1. What is the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is a formula used in mechanics to calculate the moment of inertia of an object about an axis that is parallel to its center of mass. It states that the moment of inertia of an object is equal to the moment of inertia of the object about its center of mass plus the product of its mass and the square of the distance between the two parallel axes.

2. How is the Parallel Axis Theorem applied in engineering?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is commonly used in engineering to determine the bending stress in a beam or other structural member. By calculating the moment of inertia of the beam about a parallel axis, engineers can determine the maximum bending stress that the beam can withstand without breaking or deforming.

3. What factors affect the bending stress in a beam?

The bending stress in a beam is affected by various factors such as the material properties of the beam, its cross-sectional shape, the magnitude and direction of the applied load, and the location and orientation of the neutral axis. These factors determine the moment of inertia and the maximum allowable bending stress for a given beam.

4. How is the bending stress related to the moment of inertia?

The bending stress in a beam is directly proportional to the moment of inertia. This means that as the moment of inertia increases, the bending stress also increases. Therefore, a beam with a larger moment of inertia can withstand a greater bending stress, making it stronger and more resistant to bending forces.

5. Can the Parallel Axis Theorem be applied to all shapes and sizes of beams?

Yes, the Parallel Axis Theorem can be applied to any shape and size of beam as long as the beam is symmetrical and its cross-sectional area can be divided into smaller, simpler shapes. By summing the moments of inertia of each individual shape, the overall moment of inertia of the beam can be calculated and used to determine the bending stress.