Parabolas and Other confusing equations

• Thread starter DarlingAly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the person is trying to find the x and y intercepts for each of the three parabolas. They don't understand how to do it and need help.
DarlingAly
So here's the deal. I have three equations for three parabolas. I need to find the x and y inercepts, and a simplified radical to go with it.

Here are the equations.
Parabola one: y=(x-5)^2+6, Vertex: (5,6)
Parabola two: y=2(x-1)^2-4, Vertex: (1, -4)
Parabola three: y=-1(x+3)^2+8, Vertex: (-3, 8)

Does anyone know how to set this problem up and what equations I should use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to find the x and y intercepts of each of the three parabolas? The x-intercept is when y = 0 and the y-intercept is when x = 0, so just plug away.

Snazzy said:
Are you trying to find the x and y intercepts of each of the three parabolas? The x-intercept is when y = 0 and the y-intercept is when x = 0, so just plug away.

Yes I'm trying to find the x and y intercepts of each of the three parabolas. But I don't really understand your method. Are you saying just to get each x an y alone and solve?

Yes.

Hmm, okay thanks

Being on the x & y intercepts refers to being on the x & y axis, respectively. If you want to be on the x-axis, what must the y-value be? Same goes for the y-int value.

that makes no sense, and it doesn't answer my question. I know what x and y intercepts are. I know that if I want to be on the x-axis the y value has to be 0 and so forth.

I want to know an equation I can use to calculate them from those three equations.
Do I use the quadratic formula? or another quation?

Parabola one: y=(x-5)^2+6, Vertex: (5,6)

Show me the steps you would take to find the x-int for this problem.

There is no x intercept. It's above the x-axis and it goes up.
but if i didn't, I would probably do the quadratic formula

In this case, in order to use the quadratic equation, you would need the values for a, b, and c. To get that, you would need to expand (x-5)2. That's absolutely possible. However, it is even easier in this case, because plugging in 0 for y would give you:

0 = (x-5)2 + 6 => -6 = (x-5)2

Do you see how you can solve for x very simply? In fact, if you had the equation in the form ax2 + bx + c and not in the vertex form in which they were given, one way of solving for the roots (x-intercepts), you may remember, is completing the square, which is what you did.

Moreover, the quadratic formula itself was figured out by completing the square for the general form ax2 + bx + c, just using all letters instead of numbers.

Ah I see.
Thanks. That was much more helpful than any of the other answers I got.

DarlingAly said:
Ah I see.
Thanks. That was much more helpful than any of the other answers I got.
LOL ... wow, you need to read a little more into what others have suggested to you. Effort goes a long way, extends further than just solving a parabolic equation.

rocomath, I think you were extremely helpful. Thank you for your input.

Related to Parabolas and Other confusing equations

1. What is a parabola and how is it different from other equations?

A parabola is a U-shaped curve that is graphed by plotting points that satisfy a specific equation. It is different from other equations because it has a specific form, y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. This form allows us to easily identify and graph parabolas.

2. How do I find the vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola is the point where the curve changes direction. To find the vertex, you can use the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the constants in the parabola's equation. Simply plug in the values for a and b and solve for x. Then, substitute this value back into the equation to find the corresponding y-value.

3. Can a parabola have more than one x-intercept?

Yes, a parabola can have two x-intercepts, one x-intercept, or no x-intercepts at all. The number of x-intercepts depends on the location of the vertex and the steepness of the curve. If the parabola opens up, it will have no x-intercepts. If it opens down, it will have two x-intercepts. And if the vertex lies on the x-axis, it will have one x-intercept.

4. What is the axis of symmetry of a parabola?

The axis of symmetry of a parabola is a vertical line that divides the parabola into two equal halves. It passes through the vertex of the parabola and is perpendicular to the directrix. The equation for the axis of symmetry is x = -b/2a, where a and b are the constants in the parabola's equation.

5. How do I solve equations that are not in the standard form of a parabola?

If the equation is not in the standard form of a parabola, you can use the completing the square method to rewrite it in the standard form. This involves adding or subtracting a constant to both sides of the equation to create a perfect square trinomial. Then, you can easily identify the values of a, b, and c and graph the parabola. You can also use the quadratic formula to solve for the roots of the equation, which will give you the x-intercepts of the parabola.