Parabola equation with focus and directrix

In summary, the equation of the parabola given the focus (2,3) and the directrix y=-1 is y= (1/8)x^2- (1/2)x+ 3/2, with a vertex of (2,1). This was found using the basic definition of a parabola and equating the distances from any point on the parabola to the focus and directrix. The vertex was determined to be on the vertical line through the focus, and the equation was simplified to the standard form.
aisha
Hi, I need to determine the equation of a parabola given the focus (2,3) and the directrix y=-1

I sketched out a parabola opening up wards with a vertex of (1,1)

I made two distance equations one for any point on the parabola to the focus, and one distance from the directrix to any point on the parabola.

I equated the two equations

sqrt((x+2)^2 + (y+3)^2)) = sqrt((y+1)^2))

I took the square root of both sides and then tried to expand and simplify
I got [tex] x^2 - \frac {1} {4}x + \frac {9} {8} = y [/tex]

there probably are mistakes since this is my first time doing this.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get the vertex to be (1,1)??

A parabola is defined as the set of points such that the distance from each point (x,y) to the focus is the same as the distance from (x,y) to the directrix.
The distance from (1,1) to (2,3) is [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]. The distance from (1,1) to
y= -1 is 2. Those are not the same. (1,1) is not even ON the parabola.

Since, in this problem, the directrix is a horizontal line, the axis of the parabola is vertical. The vertex must be on the vertical line through the focus: x= 2. And, since the two distances must be the same, it must be exactly half way between the two:
y= (3+(-1))/2= 1. The vertex is at (2,3).
If you know that the standard formula of a parabola with vertex (a,b) and focus (a,c) is y= (1/4(b-c))(x-a)2+ b, you can just write down the formula.

I would consider it more interesting to do as you did- use the basic definition rather than memorizing a formula.

Let (x,y) be any point on the parabola. Then the distance from (x,y) to (2,3) is
[tex]\sqrt{(x-2)^2+ (y-3)^2}[/tex] (NOT (x+2) and (y+3)!). The distance from
(x,y) to the line y= -1 is [tex]\sqrt{(y+1)^2}= |y+1|[/tex]. The condition that (x,y)be on the parabola is [tex]\sqrt{(x-2)^2+ (y-3)^2}= |y+1|[/tex].
Squaring both sides (NOT taking the square root, as you wrote!)
(x-2)2+ (y-3)2= (y+1)2

x2- 4x+ 4+ y2- 6y+ 9= y2+ 2y+ 1

This is a parabola because the two "y2" terms cancel out.

x2- 4x+ 12= 8y so

y= (1/8)x2- (1/2)x+ 3/2

The vertex is at (2,3).

You mean (2,1) :smile:

Related to Parabola equation with focus and directrix

1. What is a parabola equation with focus and directrix?

A parabola equation with focus and directrix is a mathematical representation of a parabola, a U-shaped curve, using two key points: the focus and the directrix. The focus is a fixed point inside the parabola, while the directrix is a fixed line outside the parabola. The distance from any point on the parabola to the focus is equal to the distance from that point to the directrix.

2. How do you find the focus and directrix of a parabola?

The focus and directrix of a parabola can be found using the standard form of the parabola equation: y = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h,k) is the vertex of the parabola and a is the distance from the vertex to the focus and from the vertex to the directrix. The focus is located at (h, k+a), and the directrix is a horizontal line with the equation y = k-a.

3. What is the significance of the focus and directrix in a parabola equation?

The focus and directrix play a crucial role in determining the shape and position of a parabola. They are used to calculate the vertex, axis of symmetry, and other key points on the parabola. The focus and directrix also help determine the direction and orientation of the parabola's opening.

4. How is the distance between the focus and directrix related to the length of the parabola's axis?

The distance between the focus and directrix is equal to the length of the parabola's axis, which is also known as the latus rectum. This means that the parabola's axis is always perpendicular to the directrix and passes through the focus, with its length equal to the distance between these two points.

5. Can a parabola have multiple focuses and directrices?

No, a parabola can only have one focus and one directrix. This is because the focus and directrix are uniquely determined by the shape and position of the parabola. In other words, changing the focus or directrix would result in a different parabola.