Paper folding and mathematics?

In summary, paper folding has the ability to solve square roots, cube roots, and fourth-degree polynomial equations. However, it is still unknown if paper folding can also solve fifth or higher degree polynomial roots. Roger Alperin's work in 2000 suggested that paper folding can indeed find roots for all 5th degree polynomials, but this remains a topic of debate.
ebola_virus
I was reading on wikipedia when i stumbled through this article on paper folding which said:

Paper folds can be constructed to solve square roots and cube roots; fourth-degree polynomial equations can also be solved by paper folds. The full scope of paper-folding-constructible algebraic numbers (e.g. whether it encompasses fifth or higher degree polynomial roots) remains unknown.

fascinated, i started looking for what they meant by this; are they really saying you can solve z^5 = 1 just by paper fodling? then again, i couldn't find any resources on this notion. could anyone care to explain? thanks again

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If I remember correctly, paper folding can do anything that a straightedge and compass can do. (and more, of course) (Well, I mean it can find any point and any line that can be found with straightedge and compass. Of course, I can't draw a circle with paper folding)

I can solve z^5 = 1 with a straightedge and compass, so I can solve that with paper folding too. :-p

What they're saying is that it is unknown if paper folding can find roots for all 5-th degree polynomials.

ebola_virus said:
I was reading on wikipedia when i stumbled through this article on paper folding which said:
Paper folds can be constructed to solve square roots and cube roots; fourth-degree polynomial equations can also be solved by paper folds. The full scope of paper-folding-constructible algebraic numbers (e.g. whether it encompasses fifth or higher degree polynomial roots) remains unknown.

Although I haven't read the papers too extensively, I actually thought that this was settled by Roger Alperin's work back in 2000 published in the New York Journal of Mathematics.

Related to Paper folding and mathematics?

1. What is the connection between paper folding and mathematics?

Paper folding is a mathematical concept known as "origami," which involves the folding of paper to create intricate and geometrically precise shapes. The principles of geometry, symmetry, and measurement are all applied in the process of paper folding, making it a fascinating intersection of mathematics and art.

2. How can paper folding be used to teach mathematics?

Paper folding is a hands-on approach to learning mathematics, as it allows students to physically manipulate and visualize geometric concepts. It can also be used to teach concepts such as fractions, symmetry, and spatial reasoning. In addition, paper folding can also improve fine motor skills and attention to detail.

3. What are some applications of paper folding in real life?

Paper folding has numerous practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and design. For example, origami techniques are used to create efficient and sturdy structures, such as space telescopes and airbags. It is also used in packaging design, as well as fashion and art.

4. Can paper folding help improve problem-solving skills?

Yes, paper folding is a great way to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It requires spatial reasoning, pattern recognition, and logical thinking to create complex shapes and designs. Through trial and error, students can also learn to approach problems from different angles and find creative solutions.

5. Are there any mathematical principles that can be learned through paper folding?

Absolutely! Paper folding can teach concepts such as symmetry, angles, fractions, and geometry. It can also introduce students to more advanced concepts like topology and graph theory. By exploring different folds and patterns, students can discover mathematical principles and develop a deeper understanding of these concepts.