Pair production -- Seeking clarification of the explanation

In summary, the conversation revolves around fact checking a statement about particles interacting in a vacuum. The speaker is seeking a source for this concept and mentions their interest in metaphysics and how it relates to scientific discoveries. The conversation ends with a reminder about the importance of valid references for discussions on this site.
Quixotic Larry
How did you find PF?: a web search on an item I am fact-checking.

I have very little background in physics specifically. I do have a thirst for knowledge. I seek treasures in many places, when I find one I attempt to correlate and ingrate it with other tidbits I have found. I have more of a background in metaphysics than physics however both interest me.

I am fact checking something recently shared with me about how particles interact in a vacuum. Simply stated it says that two particles in a vacuum will seek out, find and merge with each other. Later they separate, with each retaining a portion of the other. Should it be that this is valid, a location of the actual work with the concept would be a treasure to me. If it were a fallacy, this would be nice to know also

Thank you

• Skeptical
Likes Vanadium 50 and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Quixotic Larry said:
I am fact checking something recently shared with me
Please give a reference. We don't discuss unsourced random comments.

Quixotic Larry said:
Simply stated it says that two particles in a vacuum will seek out, find and merge with each other. Later they separate, with each retaining a portion of the other.
Are you sure they weren't talking about people, rather than particles?

• Haha
Likes mattt, phinds and DrChinese
PeroK said:
Are you sure they weren't talking about people, rather than particles?

PeterDonis said:
Please give a reference. We don't discuss unsourced random comments.
Thank you for your comment, I would have listed a source however I did not catch it. I was working on my computer with the TV on in the room. It came through the TV and I did not catch much else. I made a quick note to work with later; I did not think it would be so allusive. Being here is a product of a couple of hours attempting to find the source in addition to the rest of the concept. I think it was supposed to relate to quantum physics or astrophysics. All I have found even close is Albert Einstein’s comment concerning particles mimicking each other regardless of distance between them; he labeled this entanglement as “spooky action at a distance.”

Your reply/question is ‘right on’ concerning people, this metaphysical/spiritual view of the way of things seems to work as a tool for explaining aspects of human relationships. However when the comments about ‘the actions of particles in a vacuum’ were spoken, I thought how interesting it would be if it were so, and may help to explain the relationship metaphor/concept better supporting or refuting it. It is priceless to me when folk stories or something relating to energy or spiritual matters collides with science, the amazing scientific discovery either supporting or refuting the non-scientific yet accepted concept.

Being on this site is a product of a couple of hours attempting to find the source and the rest of the concept. I think it was supposed to relate to quantum physics or astrophysics.

If my not being either an apprentice or master physicists means I am not welcome or allowed here to ask a question or comment please tell me so I do not vex anyone. If I am causing a problem here and a better place for a novice to interact is there...please tell me.

Thank You

Quixotic Larry said:
I would have listed a source however I did not catch it.
Then we do not have a valid basis for discussion.

Quixotic Larry said:
If my not being either an apprentice or master physicists means I am not welcome or allowed here to ask a question or comment
Nobody has said any such thing. I am simply reminding you of the rules you signed up to when you joined this site, which include rules about valid references. We cannot have a useful discussion based on your possibly garbled report of some random thing you heard that you can't even find a reference for. We need to have whatever source you are asking about at first hand, not a second hand report. That way we know we are commenting on what the source actually said, and we can also assess the source directly for validity.

Thread closed.

1. What is pair production and how does it occur?

Pair production is a phenomenon in which a high-energy photon interacts with the electric field of a nucleus, producing an electron and a positron. This process can occur spontaneously in a vacuum or in the presence of a strong electric field.

2. What is the role of energy in pair production?

The energy of the photon is converted into the mass of the electron and positron pair. According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, mass and energy are equivalent, so a high-energy photon can produce particles with mass.

3. What is the significance of pair production in particle physics?

Pair production is an important phenomenon in particle physics as it allows for the creation of matter from pure energy. This process is also used in experiments to study the properties of particles and their interactions.

4. Can pair production occur in any environment?

Pair production can occur in any environment as long as there is enough energy to produce the electron-positron pair. However, it is more likely to occur in a vacuum or in the presence of a strong electric field.

5. Are there any real-life applications of pair production?

Pair production has several real-life applications, including in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET). It is also used in particle accelerators to produce high-energy particles for research and industrial purposes.