Pair production differential cross section

In summary, according to the second link, a quadruply differential cross section could be used to calculate the probability of a particle scattering in a particular direction. However, because there is no closed form for this cross section, all calculations would be numerical.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
In one of my classes, I should give a talk about pair production cross section in front of the class and so I'm now searching for resources. But I can't find a place where the differential cross section for pair production process is given. Anyone knows somewhere I can find it and , preferably, its derivation?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Pair production of what, by what?
There are many pairs, and many collision processes that can lead to pairs.

mfb said:
Pair production of what, by what?
There are many pairs, and many collision processes that can lead to pairs.
Sorry, I meant electron-positron pair production by photons passing by nuclei.

Google "electron positron pair production cross section" gives many relevant hits like this or that, for example.

mfb said:
Google "electron positron pair production cross section" gives many relevant hits like this or that, for example.
The first link is actually a numerical calculation of total cross section for different materials. But I wanted to find a closed form for the differential cross section.
The second link seems to give that but I don't know what a quadruply differential cross section is!
Based on your hint, I searched myself and found this, which gives closed forms for the total cross section in different energy regions. But actually I just know that using differential cross section, its possible to calculate the probability that a particle scatters in a particular direction but I don't know how the total cross section can be useful!
Is it that there is no closed form for the differential cross section for this process and all the calculations are numerical?

I think you mixed first and second link.
Shyan said:
The second link seems to give that but I don't know what a quadruply differential cross section is!
It is the differential cross-section you are interested in, in terms of energy and direction of the produced particles.

mfb said:
It is the differential cross-section you are interested in, in terms of energy and direction of the produced particles.
I got it. Thanks!

Related to Pair production differential cross section

1. What is pair production differential cross section?

Pair production differential cross section is a measure of the likelihood of a high-energy photon interacting with a target particle to produce a pair of particles (typically an electron and a positron). It is an important quantity in particle physics that helps us understand the fundamental interactions between particles and the behavior of matter at the subatomic level.

2. How is pair production differential cross section calculated?

The calculation of pair production differential cross section involves complex mathematical equations that take into account the energy and momentum of the incoming photon, the properties of the target particle, and the kinematics of the produced particles. These calculations are typically performed using quantum field theory and can be quite challenging.

3. What is the significance of pair production differential cross section?

Pair production differential cross section is an important tool for understanding the fundamental forces and interactions between particles. It is used in experimental studies to verify theoretical predictions and to test the validity of different models of particle interactions. It also helps us understand the properties of matter and the behavior of particles at high energies.

4. How does pair production differential cross section vary with energy?

As the energy of the incoming photon increases, the pair production differential cross section also increases. This is because higher energy photons have a greater chance of interacting with the target particle and producing a pair of particles. However, at very high energies, the cross section may reach a plateau or even decrease due to other factors such as the properties of the target particle and the kinematics of the produced particles.

5. Can pair production differential cross section be experimentally measured?

Yes, pair production differential cross section can be measured in particle accelerators and other high-energy experiments. Scientists can use detectors to measure the energy and momentum of the produced particles and then use this information to calculate the cross section. These measurements can help validate theoretical predictions and provide insights into the behavior of matter at the subatomic level.