What do you think about the Mac G5

• Thread starter Mattius_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mac
In summary: I think that would be a plus for a lot of people.In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between Macs and PCs, with the commenter concluding that PCs are better for programming and gaming.
Mattius_
http://www.apple.com/powermac/video/

speaks for itself...

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
As a mac user, I think the computer itself looks ugly. IMHO.

Plenty fast tho, with promises of 3ghz in 12 months...looks like apple is fighting back. PCs are still far better for games tho, simply because games are usually made for them first, then ported to the mac, if they are ported at all.

Gaming? Buy a pc. Anything else? Go getcha a mac

Apple's claims to the contrary, Macs are still far behind pc's in performance. In recent years, Apple has become quite good at manipulating tests in its favor.

Its nice to see a new product from them (long time since the last one) but they have a long way to go to become relevant again.

I won't disagree with that, Apple does slant results...

just like other mfcs do. There will never be a day that I trust ANY mfc who says their own product is better than another mfc's offering. Wait for independent tests, I say.

Mac severly manipulated their test restults. They used different codecs in the betchmarking programs and turned off hyperthreading on the Intel, among other things. Here is the report written by VeriTest (company that did the benchmark): http://www.veritest.com/clients/reports/apple/apple_performance.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really interesting. They also used a single processor in the Dual Dell the G5 and used OSX up against Redhat when it would seem that they could have used SUSE linux on each machine for a more direct comparison of hardware specific power. Although they did use less memory in the G5 which seems wierd. It was a prototype system though.

I don't use Macs personally but from comments from friends that use them for video editing, apart from the fact that in their industry you just don't use any other platform (for small stuff anyway), they run into some fairly significant crashing problems too. I always thought that stability was supposed to be one of the bonuses of the mac. Prices have dropped a fair bit recently so maybe they will become more popular.

If only they ditched the single button mouse.

Raavin :)

Last edited:
Go getcha a mac

I disagree. I use a Mac, but for "everything else besides games", is like saying Mac rules at everything.

PC seems to be popular for programming.

I mean, you would have no problem finding compilers that are easy to use without use of the command line or need to compile it yourself.

1. What is the Mac G5?

The Mac G5 is a desktop computer developed and produced by Apple Inc. It was released in 2003 and was the first computer to use the IBM PowerPC G5 processor.

2. What makes the Mac G5 stand out from other computers?

The Mac G5 was known for its powerful performance, advanced technology, and sleek design. It was also the first 64-bit personal computer, allowing for faster processing and larger memory capacity.

3. Is the Mac G5 still relevant in today's technology market?

While the Mac G5 was a revolutionary computer when it was released, it is now considered outdated and is no longer produced by Apple. However, it is still used by some individuals and can be found in certain industries such as graphic design and music production.

4. What were some common issues with the Mac G5?

Some common issues with the Mac G5 included overheating, power supply failures, and limited software compatibility. These issues have been addressed in newer models of the Mac computer.

5. Would you recommend the Mac G5 to someone looking for a computer?

As a scientist, I cannot make recommendations for specific products. However, I can say that the Mac G5 was a groundbreaking computer in its time, but there are now newer and more advanced options available on the market.