Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Page locks up if i take too long to post

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
i suspect there is some timer which causes pending posts to "freeze". despite the notification of an auto-save in the lower-right, often when i hit "submit", the site stops responding, and re-loading the page causes everything to disappear.

the net effect is to discourage me from making any post which is well-thought-out, as several such post attempts have ended in failure.

i understand that the site is fairly new, and some technical glitches may take some time to iron out, but i was hoping someone might look into this, and if anyone has some suggestions, i'm all ears.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
i suspect there is some timer which causes pending posts to "freeze". despite the notification of an auto-save in the lower-right, often when i hit "submit", the site stops responding, and re-loading the page causes everything to disappear.

the net effect is to discourage me from making any post which is well-thought-out, as several such post attempts have ended in failure.

i understand that the site is fairly new, and some technical glitches may take some time to iron out, but i was hoping someone might look into this, and if anyone has some suggestions, i'm all ears.
Hmmm... Note sure it is the site, I see nothing like that, at least not when attached to the tubez by a fast link...

CB

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
it's happened to me several times, and no other site i've been visiting has been giving me any problems. it could be due to any number of things: my browser, available bandwidth of the host server, scripts running i can't see...i wouldn't even bring it up if it except for losing several posts that i spent rather a long time on.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
You may consider Lazarus extension for Firefox, which saves forms and recovers them.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Are you using the quick reply feature when this happens?

The more I think about it this could be due to the quick reply add-on we are using. Normally the quick reply doesn't have all of the abilities you see on MHB. There has been another problem reported relating to problems deleting posts, which is also part of the editpost.php file. This could be altered by the add-on we are using as well. Maybe we should try reverting back to the standard quick reply settings and see if the problem goes away.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

The more I think about it this could be due to the quick reply add-on we are using. Normally the quick reply doesn't have all of the abilities you see on MHB. There has been another problem reported relating to problems deleting posts, which is also part of the editpost.php file. This could be altered by the add-on we are using as well. Maybe we should try reverting back to the standard quick reply settings and see if the problem goes away.
I have seen this problem as well. Definitely recommend looking into it.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Still would like to hear info about browsers from those who have experienced this problem. Do you guys notice the "auto-save" feature and when the page locks up are you able to access the saved information?

Jan 31, 2012

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
What "quick reply feature" are you talking about? I see two buttons "reply" and "reply with quote". I have had lock up happen with both.

Added- well, there is the "reply to thread" below the thread. But would I then have quote "by hand"?

Last edited:

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
By default when you click "Reply to thread" or "Reply with quote" you are using the "Quick reply" feature. Click on one of these and look at the top left hand corner of the blue strip just above the text box where you normally type. You'll see the label "Quick Reply". From here you can click the option "Go advanced" (below the text box) and a new page will load with some more features. I am hoping no one has this issue when replying with "Go advanced". I suggest if you are making a longer post to try it out.

Also, when making a quick reply I periodically see a yellow box pop up that says "Auto-saved". Chris says that this function is working properly. To those of you that have lost your posts, have you tried recovering it this way? Maybe Chris can weigh in on this and how it works more.

Moo

Feb 12, 2012
I'm angry, everytime I open MHB for the first time of the day (on 2 computers, one with chrome, one with IE), it freezes for 1 minute ! It freezes everything, I can't do anything more than just wait ! Sometimes there's the message saying that it's loading the latex font or something. And I'm not even on a page with latex ! Isn't it possible to fix it asap ?

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
After trying to reply to a thread using "Reply With Quote" and losing what I had typed, I tried to use "Reply to Thread" and it still locked up on me! And it doesn't appear to have anything to do with a long post- it has happened to me after I typed two lines.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Guys I promise we will get this resolved and I do apologize for this. I know it's annoying and thank you for your help.

I am trying to reproduce the problem by leaving a reply box open for a while but just can't get any issues to occur. I'm on a Macbook Pro laptop with Firefox 10. Can someone who has this problem please tell me something and describe what it means to "lock up"? When you hit "Post" does the server time out and you see a no connection error or do you see an error message with a specific error code, or something else?

EDIT: I have disabled the auto-save feature. I'm praying this does something. It was set to save every minute so perhaps while some script was running this problem popped up.

Last edited:

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Pointing out again that I disabled the auto-save feature. I'm really hoping this helps the problem. Someone who has experienced the issue please chime in! Thank you in advance.