Packet generators - are these possible?

• Thread starter rcgldr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generators
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a hack where a program can generate and output packets with false IP addresses, potentially causing disruptions in online games. This method, known as IP address spoofing, has been used for legitimate purposes such as testing servers. However, it can also be used maliciously to interfere with network traffic and deceive users.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
I know that there are packet sniffers, but I'm wondering if a computer is not behind a router (such as cable modem or dsl with external ip setups (usually for multiple external ip's, one for each computer), if a program made to generate and output packets could directly generate a packet with a false ip (maybe the ISP would prevent this). In one of the games I play, there was a recent one time incident where somehow players were being affected in a strange non game like behaviour, and since the game hasn't been updated in over a year, it seems unlikely that this would be a game bug, so my next guess is somehow packets between players were somehow getting deliberately corrupted. There may be other explanations, such as packets without a fake ip creating some sort of false collision detection on the other players games to create the bizarre reactions I saw (I wasn't affected, just witnessed the effects on two other players).

I'm not trying to create such a thing, I only want to know if it's possible without explaining how it could be done (I don't want to contribute to the creation of a game hack).

Technology news on Phys.org
Yes, I've heard of hacks where a network stream is intercepted and packets are injected into the mix that look similar to the other traffic but may not the correct hash codes.

In one case brought up by my instructor of communications, he told us of an example where crooks had intercepted an interbank network and slowly injected badly coded money transfers. The idea was to flood the bank with transfers that had to be reviewed in the hopes that the reviewer would eventually conclude there's something wrong with stream today and that the bad transfers are actually okay to approve.

Here's something on packet injections:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_injection

rcgldr said:
... program made to generate and output packets could directly generate a packet with a false ip ...

That sounds like a description of "IP address spoofing" ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_spoofing

My question was about a potential type of hack against a particular game, where the goal could be just interfering with game play and making it appear that the source of the interference was from another source via the spoofed ip. Reading the wiki article, it appears that it is possible and some cases has a legitimate use, such as testing a server (although some or most of this testing could be done on a local network versus the internet).

I can confirm that it is possible to create and generate packets with false IP addresses. This process is commonly known as IP spoofing and can be done using various tools and programs. However, this practice is highly unethical and can result in serious consequences, such as network disruptions and security breaches.

In the case of the game you mentioned, it is possible that the strange behavior was caused by packet manipulation or collision detection. However, there could also be other explanations, such as server issues or bugs in the game itself. It is important to investigate all possible causes before jumping to conclusions.

I would strongly advise against attempting to create or use packet generators for malicious purposes. Not only is it unethical, but it can also have serious consequences for both the network and the individuals involved. Instead, I would recommend seeking the help of a network security expert to investigate the issue and find a solution.

Related to Packet generators - are these possible?

1. What are packet generators and what do they do?

Packet generators are software or hardware tools that are used to create and send network packets. These packets can be used for testing, monitoring, or analyzing network performance and security.

2. Are packet generators difficult to use?

The complexity of using a packet generator depends on the specific tool and its features. Some packet generators may require advanced technical knowledge, while others may have a user-friendly interface that can be easily navigated by anyone.

3. Can packet generators be used for malicious purposes?

Unfortunately, yes. Packet generators can be used to launch denial-of-service (DoS) attacks, flood a network with unwanted traffic, or even steal sensitive information. It is important to use packet generators responsibly and ethically.

4. Are there any free packet generators available?

Yes, there are several free and open-source packet generators available for download online. However, these may not have as many features or be as reliable as paid versions.

5. Is it necessary to have a deep understanding of networking to use a packet generator?

Having a basic understanding of networking concepts and protocols can be helpful when using a packet generator, but it is not always necessary. Some packet generators have built-in templates and wizards that can guide users through the process without requiring extensive networking knowledge.