P divides all the coefficients of the terms with degree <8

In summary, this conversation discusses the proof that at $h(x)$, the prime $p$ does not divide the coefficient of $x^8$, but it does divide all the coefficients of the terms with degree $<8$. The proof involves showing that $p$ divides $c_7$ and using a similar argument for $c_5$ and $c_6$. Additionally, it is noted that lower numbered $c_i$ will also be divisible by $p$ due to the properties of the coefficients $a_i$ and $b_i$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

$f(x)=\sum_{i=0}^{7}{a_ix^i}, g(x)=\sum_{i=0}^{5}{b_ix^i}$, $a_i, b_i$ are integer coefficients.
The prime $p$ divides $a_0, a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4$ but it does not divide $a_5, a_6, a_7$. $p$ divides also $b_0, b_1, b_2$, but it does not divide $b_3, b_4, b_5$.
$h(x)=f(x)g(x)$
Show that at $h(x)$ $p$ does not divide the coefficient of $x^8$, but it does divide all the coefficients of the terms with degree $<8$.

We suppose that $p \mid c_8$.
$p \mid b_1 \Rightarrow p \mid a_7 b_1$
$p \mid b_2 \Rightarrow p \mid a_6 b_2$
$p \mid a_3 \Rightarrow p \mid a_3 b_5$
$p \mid a_4 \Rightarrow p \mid a_4 b_4$

$c_8=a_7b_1+a_6b_2+a_5b_3+a_4b_4+a_3b_5 \Rightarrow a_5 b_3=c_8-a_7b_1-a_6 b_2-a_4 b_4-a_3b_5$

$p \mid c_8-a_7b_1-a_6 b_2-a_4 b_4-a_3b_5 \Rightarrow p \mid a_5 b_3$
Since $p$ is a prime $p \mid a_5$ or $p \mid b_3$. Both are not true, so $p \nmid c_8$.

To show that $p$ divides all the coefficients of the terms with degree $<8$, what am I supposed to do? Do I have to calculate all the coefficients and find that $p$ divides them? Or is there an other way to show this?

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

$f(x)=\sum_{i=0}^{7}{a_ix^i}, g(x)=\sum_{i=0}^{5}{b_ix^i}$, $a_i, b_i$ are integer coefficients.
The prime $p$ divides $a_0, a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4$ but it does not divide $a_5, a_6, a_7$. $p$ divides also $b_0, b_1, b_2$, but it does not divide $b_3, b_4, b_5$.
$h(x)=f(x)g(x)$
Show that at $h(x)$ $p$ does not divide the coefficient of $x^8$, but it does divide all the coefficients of the terms with degree $<8$.

We suppose that $p \mid c_8$.
$p \mid b_1 \Rightarrow p \mid a_7 b_1$
$p \mid b_2 \Rightarrow p \mid a_6 b_2$
$p \mid a_3 \Rightarrow p \mid a_3 b_5$
$p \mid a_4 \Rightarrow p \mid a_4 b_4$

$c_8=a_7b_1+a_6b_2+a_5b_3+a_4b_4+a_3b_5 \Rightarrow a_5 b_3=c_8-a_7b_1-a_6 b_2-a_4 b_4-a_3b_5$

$p \mid c_8-a_7b_1-a_6 b_2-a_4 b_4-a_3b_5 \Rightarrow p \mid a_5 b_3$
Since $p$ is a prime $p \mid a_5$ or $p \mid b_3$. Both are not true, so $p \nmid c_8$.

To show that $p$ divides all the coefficients of the terms with degree $<8$, what am I supposed to do? Do I have to calculate all the coefficients and find that $p$ divides them? Or is there an other way to show this?

Hii! ;)

I suggest to verify $c_7$ and make an argument for the others.

I like Serena said:
Hii! ;)

I suggest to verify $c_7$ and make an argument for the others.

$c_7=a_7b_0+a_6b_1+a_5b_2+a_4b_3+a_3b_4+a_2b_5$

$p \mid b_0 \Rightarrow p \mid a_7 b_0$
$p \mid b_1 \Rightarrow p \mid a_6 b_1$
$p \mid b_2 \Rightarrow p \mid a_5 b_2$
$p \mid a_2 \Rightarrow p \mid a_2 b_5$
$p \mid a_3 \Rightarrow p \mid a_3 b_4$
$p \mid a_4 \Rightarrow p \mid a_4 b_3$

So $p \mid c_7$

What can I say for the others?

Note that:

$\displaystyle c_k = \sum_{i = 0}^k a_ib_{k-i}$

We will take $b_j = 0$ for $j > 5$.

If $k \leq 4$, then every term is divisible by $p$ since $p$ divides all the "$a$'s".

This leaves just 3 coefficients to check: $c_5,c_6,c_7$. We could manually compute them, but that seems like...ugh...work.

But notice that as the "$a$'s" count up, the "$b$'s" count down. So if the b terms take care of the a terms that aren't covered, every term in the sum will be divisible by $p$. And the LOWEST $k$ for which this happens is when the i in:

$a_ib_{k-i}$ is greater than 4, and the k-i in said term is greater than 2, that is:

$k = i + (k-i) \geq 5 + 3 = 8$.

Since 5,6 and 7 are all less than 8, $c_5,c_6,c_7$ are all divisible by $p$.

Last edited:
mathmari said:
$c_7=a_7b_0+a_6b_1+a_5b_2+a_4b_3+a_3b_4+a_2b_5$

$p \mid b_0 \Rightarrow p \mid a_7 b_0$
$p \mid b_1 \Rightarrow p \mid a_6 b_1$
$p \mid b_2 \Rightarrow p \mid a_5 b_2$
$p \mid a_2 \Rightarrow p \mid a_2 b_5$
$p \mid a_3 \Rightarrow p \mid a_3 b_4$
$p \mid a_4 \Rightarrow p \mid a_4 b_3$

So $p \mid c_7$

What can I say for the others?

As Deveno also remarked, we have low numbered $b_i$ that are divisible by $p$ or we have low numbered $a_i$ that are divisible by $p$.
For $c_7$ we have the worst case that still pans out.
So lower numbered $c_i$ will also be divisible by $p$.

Related to P divides all the coefficients of the terms with degree <8

1. What does "P divides all the coefficients of the terms with degree <8" mean?

When we say that "P divides all the coefficients of the terms with degree <8", it means that the polynomial P is a factor of every coefficient in the terms with a degree less than 8. In other words, when we divide each coefficient by P, the result is a whole number.

2. How can we determine if P divides all the coefficients of the terms with degree <8?

We can determine if P divides all the coefficients of the terms with degree <8 by using the division algorithm. We divide each coefficient by P, and if the remainder is 0, then P is a factor of that coefficient. If the remainder is non-zero, then P is not a factor of that coefficient.

3. What are the implications of P dividing all the coefficients of the terms with degree <8?

If P divides all the coefficients of the terms with degree <8, it means that P is a common factor of all the terms in the polynomial. This can be useful for simplifying the polynomial and finding its roots.

4. Can P divide all the coefficients of the terms with degree <8 if P is not a factor of the polynomial?

No, P cannot divide all the coefficients of the terms with degree <8 if P is not a factor of the polynomial. In order for P to divide a coefficient, it must be a factor of that coefficient. Therefore, if P is not a factor of the polynomial, it cannot divide all the coefficients.

5. How does "P divides all the coefficients of the terms with degree <8" relate to the degree of a polynomial?

The statement "P divides all the coefficients of the terms with degree <8" does not directly relate to the degree of a polynomial. However, if we have a polynomial of degree n and P divides all the coefficients of the terms with degree <8, we can conclude that the polynomial must have at least n-8 factors. This is because each time P divides a coefficient, it reduces the degree of the polynomial by 1.