Oxygen vacancies in the structure?

In summary, oxygen vacancies in the crystal structure of TiO2 are normally occupied by oxygen atoms or ions but in some cases, there may be missing oxygen atoms or ions. These vacancies weaken the bonding or cohesion at the site and can act as nucleation sites for cavitation. However, they are not macroscopic gaps.
rwooduk
Please could someone explain to me what is meant by the follow sentence:

"Intrinsic oxygen vacancies in the TiO2 structure might also play important roles as nucleation sites for cavitation."

I understand the nucleation bit but what are "oxygen vacancies in the structure"?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sites in the crystal structure of TiO2 which are usually occupied by O but where an O atom (or ion) is missing.

Likes rwooduk
DrDu said:
Sites in the crystal structure of TiO2 which are usually occupied by O but where an O atom (or ion) is missing.

Ahh I see many thanks! Yes that makes sense as very small crevices in impurities in a liquid is a source of nucleation of cavities when ultrasound is applied. Although I am kind of suprised that this "hole" would be big enough for there to exist a macroscopic gap. Still slightly confused, but I think you are correct. Thanks again!

The vacancy weakens the bonding or cohesion at this site. So it might well be that it acts as a nucleation site, though it certainly isn't a macroscopic gap.

Likes rwooduk

Related to Oxygen vacancies in the structure?

1) What are oxygen vacancies in a structure?

Oxygen vacancies refer to the absence of oxygen atoms in the crystal lattice structure of a material. This can occur due to a variety of factors such as defects in the material, chemical reactions, or thermal processes.

2) How do oxygen vacancies affect the properties of a material?

Oxygen vacancies can have a significant impact on the properties of a material. They can affect its electronic, magnetic, and optical properties, as well as its mechanical and thermal behavior. The presence of oxygen vacancies can also alter the material's reactivity and chemical stability.

3) How are oxygen vacancies detected and measured?

There are various techniques used to detect and measure oxygen vacancies in a material. These include scanning electron microscopy, X-ray diffraction, electron energy loss spectroscopy, and positron annihilation spectroscopy. Each technique has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific characteristics of the material being studied.

4) Can oxygen vacancies be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, oxygen vacancies can be controlled and manipulated through various methods such as annealing, doping, and chemical treatments. These processes can either increase or decrease the number of oxygen vacancies in a material, thereby altering its properties. This control over oxygen vacancies has significant implications for the design and optimization of materials for specific applications.

5) What are the potential applications of oxygen vacancies in materials?

Oxygen vacancies have a wide range of potential applications in various fields such as electronics, energy storage, catalysis, and sensors. For example, they can be used to enhance the conductivity of materials or to improve their catalytic activity. Further research is being conducted to explore the full potential of oxygen vacancies in different materials and their impact on the development of new technologies.