Oxygen-Free Oven: Effects on Objects & Chemicals

In summary, if an oxygen free oven is created by flowing a gas other than oxygen through it and heating it up, objects placed inside will not be able to burn or oxidise due to the lack of oxygen. Instead, they will get superheated beyond their auto ignition point. This technique has real world applications in material processing, such as heat treating titanium or cooking in a controlled environment. Foods cooked in an oxygen free oven may not brown, but they will still cook through the denaturing of proteins. Alternatively, alcohol can also be used to denature proteins and cook foods without the risk of burning. This could potentially be used as a beginner's oven for those learning to cook.
Yaaaldi
Say for instance you created an oxygen free oven, by flowing a gas other than oxygen through it and then heating up that gas. What would happen to things placed inside the oven? Objects won't be able to burn or oxidise because of the lack of oxygen, but what would happen to them?

Will objects just get superheated beyond their auto ignition point? Does doing something like this have a real world application?

What would happen to normally combustible materials such as gasoline or paper in such an oven and how would it affect the chemical bonds in these substances?

This question just popped into my head purely out of curiosity.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yaaaldi said:
Say for instance you created an oxygen free oven, by flowing a gas other than oxygen through it and then heating up that gas. What would happen to things placed inside the oven? Objects won't be able to burn or oxidise because of the lack of oxygen, but what would happen to them?

Will objects just get superheated beyond their auto ignition point? Does doing something like this have a real world application?

What would happen to normally combustible materials such as gasoline or paper in such an oven and how would it affect the chemical bonds in these substances?

This question just popped into my head purely out of curiosity.

Thanks

This is routinely done for material processing in a vast range of applications. Often things need to be heated in a vacuum oven for instance, or perhaps under flowing nitrogen. Your analysis of the reasons why is basically correct ... you want to replace/remove the reactive gases (mostly O2 and water), so that the chemical processes of oxidation/combustion/etc. cannot occur, or do so a a greatly reduced rate. Alternatively, you may want to add a different reactive gas, for example hydrogen, to carry out a specific chemical process (e.g. reduction of a metal oxide surface to metal hydroxide) in a controlled environment at elevated temperature.

HTH!

Interesting. I wonder if my pizza cooked in a vacuum oven would turn-out differently.
I would assume so. Perhaps no "browning"?

pallidin said:
Interesting. I wonder if my pizza cooked in a vacuum oven would turn-out differently. I would assume so. Perhaps no "browning"?
Materials scientists are now all looking at the test furnace and thinking - hmm...

On the B-1B empennage, we used vacuum furnaces or argon filled furnaces for heat treating titanium which oxidizes when its temperature is above 600 degrees F. When welding titanium 6Al-4V we did it in a glove box which was filled with Argon. Argon filled chambers are also used for Superplastic Forming and Diffusion Bonding of titanium.

Well, would it even brown/cook it then? Or just get it super hot?
Cause wouldn't the food become uncooked again once you took it out? Or at least be NOT cooked? :confused:

GreatEscapist said:
Well, would it even brown/cook it then? Or just get it super hot?
It would cook - cooking is mostly a matter of heat denaturing proteins.

Browning is trickier, most browning is burning (ie combined with oxygen) my guess is that cheese would just melt and eventually turn to powder as the moisture evaporates - but wouldn't turn brown.

mgb_phys said:
It would cook - cooking is mostly a matter of heat denaturing proteins.

I was going to bring up , that you can cook an egg by cracking it an then dropping into alcohol , the alcohol denatures the proteins in the egg and it will turn it opaque just like cooking it on a pan.

Last edited:
cragar said:
I was going to bring up , that you can cook an egg by cracking it an then dropping into alcohol , the alcohol denatures the proteins in the egg and it will turn it opaque just like cooking it on a pan.
That's awesome. I'm going to do that.
Well, I think that someone should do this. Make it a real oven, for beginner cooks, so they don't burn their food.

Related to Oxygen-Free Oven: Effects on Objects & Chemicals

What is an oxygen-free oven?

An oxygen-free oven is a specialized laboratory equipment that is used to create an environment that is devoid of oxygen. It is typically used for experiments that require a controlled atmosphere, such as testing the effects of oxygen on objects and chemicals.

How does an oxygen-free oven work?

An oxygen-free oven works by removing oxygen from the atmosphere inside the oven through a process called purging. This is usually done by flushing the oven with an inert gas, such as nitrogen or argon, which displaces the oxygen. The oven is then sealed and maintained at a low oxygen level.

What are the effects of an oxygen-free environment on objects and chemicals?

An oxygen-free environment can have various effects on objects and chemicals depending on the experiment being conducted. Some common effects include preventing oxidation, preserving samples, and promoting certain chemical reactions that require an oxygen-free environment.

What types of experiments can be conducted in an oxygen-free oven?

An oxygen-free oven is commonly used for experiments in materials science, chemistry, and biochemistry. Some examples of experiments that can be conducted in an oxygen-free environment include oxidation studies, polymer synthesis, and protein crystallization.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using an oxygen-free oven?

Yes, there are some safety precautions that should be taken when using an oxygen-free oven. It is important to properly seal the oven to prevent oxygen from entering, as well as following any specific guidelines for handling the inert gas used for purging. It is also important to monitor the oxygen levels in the oven to ensure they remain at the desired level.