Oxidation of cyclohexanol to hexane-1,6 dioic acid?

In summary, the question is whether it is possible to use concentrated nitric acid instead of sulfuric acid for the oxidation of cyclohexanol to hexane-1,6-dioic acid. The conversation also discusses the reaction process and the use of concentrated sulfuric acid instead of nitric acid, as described in a book.
somecelxis

Homework Statement

is it possible to use conc HNO3 instead of H2SO4 to allow the reaction of oxidation of cyclohexanol to haxane-1.6 dioic acid to occur?

how can the reaction occur? cyclohexanol is seconary alcohol , it should be oxidised to ketone am i right? but it's oxidised to carboxylic acid...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i was told that cyclohexanol is dehydrated to cyclohexene first , then it only oxidised to haxane-1,6 dioic acid... but it's not stated in the book... is the statement above correct? [/B]

Attachments

• fa7e4bcbf52442008083aaae8145bb4d_A.jpeg
    fa7e4bcbf52442008083aaae8145bb4d_A.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 1,643
Physics news on Phys.org
somecelxis said:
is it possible to use conc HNO3 instead of H2SO4 to allow the reaction of oxidation of cyclohexanol

That's the way it is done. It is on the image you posted. I guess you meant something else.

Borek said:
That's the way it is done. It is on the image you posted. I guess you meant something else.
In my book, the oxidation process is carried out using the conc h2s04 ... For alcohol.. This is the first time I saw it with conc hno3...

Related to Oxidation of cyclohexanol to hexane-1,6 dioic acid?

1. What is the purpose of oxidizing cyclohexanol to hexane-1,6 dioic acid?

The purpose of this reaction is to convert cyclohexanol, a primary alcohol, into hexane-1,6 dioic acid, a dicarboxylic acid. This process is known as alcohol oxidation and is often used in organic synthesis to create new compounds with different properties.

2. What is the chemical equation for the oxidation of cyclohexanol to hexane-1,6 dioic acid?

The chemical equation is:
C6H12O + 3O2 --> C6H10O4 + 3H2O
This reaction involves the oxidation of the alcohol functional group (-OH) to a carboxylic acid functional group (-COOH).

3. What are the reagents and conditions necessary for this oxidation reaction?

The reagents needed for this reaction are a strong oxidizing agent, such as potassium permanganate or chromic acid, and a solvent such as water or an organic solvent. The reaction is typically carried out at high temperatures and in the presence of a catalyst, such as sulfuric acid or phosphoric acid.

4. What are some potential byproducts or side reactions that may occur during this oxidation?

One potential byproduct is the formation of a carboxylic acid with fewer carbon atoms, such as adipic acid (C6H10O4) or succinic acid (C4H6O4). In addition, if the reaction conditions are not carefully controlled, over-oxidation may occur, resulting in the formation of carbon dioxide gas and potentially other unwanted byproducts.

5. What are some applications of hexane-1,6 dioic acid in industry or research?

Hexane-1,6 dioic acid has several applications in both industry and research. It can be used as a precursor for the production of nylon-6,6, a common synthetic polymer. It also has potential uses in the production of biodegradable plastics and as a corrosion inhibitor. In research, this compound is used as a building block for the synthesis of new compounds with potential pharmaceutical or material applications.