Oxidation numbers for each element

In summary, the oxidation numbers for each element in the given reaction are Ag2=1, S=0, Al=1, Ag=-1, Al2=-1, S=0. The oxidized reactant is Ag2, which loses electrons, and the reduced reactant is Al, which gains electrons. The sulfur atom maintains an oxidation state of -2 throughout the reaction. The oxidation state of aluminum in the reactant side is +1.
chemjem

Homework Statement

3Ag2 S + 2Al --> 6Ag + Al2 S3
consider the equation for silver tarnishing.
a) state the oxidation number for each element in the reaction.
b)identify the the oxidized reactant and the reduced reactant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ag2=2 S= -2 Al=0 ---> Ag=-2 Al2=0 S=2

Ag2 loses the electron so it is the oxidized reactant.
S gains the electron so it is the reduced reactant.

am i close to having the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really. This isn't really a silver tarnishing reaction. It is the opposite of a silver tarnishing reaction. Tarnishing involves the reaction of zero valent metal to its oxidized form.

Yes, the sulfur atom in silver sulfide is at an oxidation state of -2. Literally everything else you have written is incorrect.

Try again. You are on the right track.

thanks for the reply. chemistry is not my thing... i am trying.

If you try, I'll reply.

Ag2=1 S=0 Al=1 ---> Ag=-1 Al2=-1 S=0

Ag gains the electron so it is reduced
Al loses the electron so it is oxidized

I'll give you a hint: The sulfur (-2) does not change oxidation state during the reaction. It only swaps partners.

What is the oxidation state of aluminum in the reactant side of the equation (...+ 2Al -->)?

Related to Oxidation numbers for each element

1. What are oxidation numbers?

Oxidation numbers are a way to represent the charge of an atom or ion in a compound. It is based on the number of electrons gained or lost by an atom when it forms a bond.

2. How do I determine the oxidation number for an element?

The oxidation number for an element can be determined by following a set of rules. Generally, the oxidation number is equal to the number of valence electrons an atom has minus the number of electrons it has gained or lost in a bond.

3. Can oxidation numbers be negative?

Yes, oxidation numbers can be negative. This indicates that the element has gained electrons in the bond and has a negative charge.

4. What is the significance of oxidation numbers?

Oxidation numbers are important in understanding the chemical properties of elements and compounds. They can also be used to predict the products of a reaction and determine the oxidation state of an element in a compound.

5. How do oxidation numbers change in a redox reaction?

In a redox reaction, oxidation numbers can change as electrons are transferred from one atom to another. The element that loses electrons will have a higher oxidation number, while the element that gains electrons will have a lower oxidation number.