Work and Energy Related Problem

In summary: So in summary, the conversation is about a problem involving calculating the time it takes for an engine to do a certain amount of work and a problem involving finding the minimum power needed to lift a fully loaded elevator at a constant speed. The correct solutions involve multiplying by the acceleration due to gravity, which was initially overlooked by the person asking the questions.
Alethia
Okay, I have this problem that I've been having trouble with. It seems like a simple problem, but I keep getting the wrong answer and I don't know where I'm making the error. Maybe one of you can help me target the problem. =) The problem is as follows:
If an automobile engine delivers 50.0 hp of power, how much time will it take for the engine to do 6.40 x 105 J of work?
Well, firstly I converted the 50.0 hp into watts by multiplying it by 746 (because one hp equals 746 watts). I got 37300 watts. Then using the formula [tex]P=\frac{W}{\Delta t}}[/tex], I plug in 6.40 x 105 J as P(ower) and 6.40 x 105 as W(ork). When I calculated it, I get .058 seconds for t. However, the correct answer is 17.2 seconds. Can anybody tell me where I'm going wrong and waht I need to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
You must be plugging things in wrong. Try again (you have everything right):

ΔT = W/P

Ohhh... haha. Whoops, I was just making a calculation error. Thanks! Okay I get it. I have another question though. In the following problem:
A 1.0 x 103 kg elevator carries a maximum load of 800.0 kg. A constant frictional force of 4.0 x 103 N retards the elevator's motion upward. What minimum power, in kilowatts, must the motor deliver to lift the fully loaded elevator at a constant speed of m/s?
Okay, for this problem, I'm not quite sure how to approach it. Initally, I thought I had to simply use the formula [tex]P=\frac{Fd}{\Delta t}}[/tex] to solve it by pluggin in 4.0 x 103 N as F and 3.00 m as d, and just put in one second for t. However, when I calculated it, it didn't come out to the correct solution so I'm assuming that this approach was not right. How then, would I solve this problem?

You know that P = F(Δd/Δt)

Δd/Δt is equal to velocity, so P can also be expressed

P = Fv

The force the lift motor has to overcome when the lift is fully loaded is

F = (1000 + 800)g + 4000

So

P = (1800g + 4000)v

You didn't put the value of v in your question, but you mentioned that the lift moves 3m in one second, so

P = 3(1800g + 4000)

Originally posted by Alethia
However, when I calculated it, it didn't come out to the correct solution so I'm assuming that this approach was not right. How then, would I solve this problem?
You forgot that the motor has to work against gravity, not just the friction.

What do you mean when you refer to 'g'?

Last edited:
The constant g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Originally posted by AD
The constant g is the acceleration due to gravity.
So then would I have to multiply 1800 by 9.81 m/s2?

Yes.

1. What is the relationship between work and energy?

The relationship between work and energy is that work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. Work is done when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move in the direction of the force. This transfer of energy results in a change in the object's kinetic or potential energy.

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What are the different forms of energy?

The different forms of energy include kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, chemical energy, nuclear energy, and electromagnetic energy. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, potential energy is stored energy, thermal energy is the energy of heat, chemical energy is stored in chemical bonds, nuclear energy is released from the nucleus of an atom, and electromagnetic energy is energy from electromagnetic waves.

4. How is energy conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, energy is conserved, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred from one form to another. This is known as the law of conservation of energy. This law states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant.

5. What is the difference between work and power?

Work and power are both related to energy, but they are different concepts. Work is the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move. Power, on the other hand, is the rate at which work is done. It is the amount of work done per unit of time. The formula for power is P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time.