Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Overall Feedback (soft)

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
Even if the visitor signs up, we need him/her to be active. We don't just want to increase the number of registered users, but we need more active users. :)
Indeed.

I think one thing that a lot of people take for granted is how much you can learn from helping others. Especially online as you often need to be very correct and clear as to how you explain something, which forces you to revise old concepts and often come to understand things of the past from different angles.

One also gets a lot of exposure to a variety of fields in math, regardless of weather you understand something or not, it's healthy to explore concepts that you haven't been formally exposed to before.

What i'm getting at here is... somehow popularize this fact as a learning tool to lovers of math.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Speaking from my own experience, I find pop-up "Register Now!!" dialog boxes annoying when I visit a site. I am thinking, "Let me browse first, and if I decide I want to register, I see the prominent registration button."

We do have more subtle things in place to encourage registration...one such example is when a guest tries to post a new thread or reply to an existing one, the posting buttons load the registration page. :D

Prakhar

MHB Ambassador
MHB Ambassador
Mar 18, 2015
Just to reduce the top-occupied area, can we rewrite "MATH HELP BOARDS" in one line, and just remove the ".COM"? And towards the right, let us just hide the notifications, settings and log out button with a drop-down arrow. And if there is a notification, our username gets that number in power. For example, 3 notifications means Prakhar $^3$ , but the size of that power can be increased and it can be brightened too.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
I'd like to mention something here too.

One reason we may not show up when someone searcher for a math problem is the following: When searching for a problem in, say groups, if I search "[dollar]G/Z(G)[dollar] is cyclic then [dollar]G[dollar] is abelain", the first hit is Math StackExchange. MHB will not get any hits since we are discouraged from using LaTeX in the title of a thread. To ask the same question without using TeX would mean writing "If G module its center is cyclic then G is abelian", and this would get awfully long as the topics become more complicated and require more notation in order to exonomically express them.

Secondly, I have always felt that MHB is a slow site. I thought that may be my internet connection is slow.

Lastly, I would like to mention that a little something will die in me if this community should die. I want to see this forum flourish and become the mafia of math help in the next 5 years.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Just to reduce the top-occupied area, can we rewrite "MATH HELP BOARDS" in one line, and just remove the ".COM"?
The header is a series of images that have been designed to overlay one another and to allow room for the page to be narrowed to the minimum width with everything still fitting. Note the blank space on the chalkboard between the math expressions and the "login" element on the right...this is what allows for the page to be narrowed and for our small screen style to function correctly.

If we change the image that holds "MATH HELP BOARDS.COM" into a shorter wider image, then this will be broken. Shortening the header would essentially require a complete redesign.

However, in the past there has been discussion among the senior staff regarding the height of the header and concerns stated about how much room it occupies. :D

And towards the right, let us just hide the notifications, settings and log out button with a drop-down arrow. And if there is a notification, our username gets that number in power. For example, 3 notifications means Prakhar $^3$ , but the size of that power can be increased and it can be brightened too.
I would say on most vBulletin 4.2.x sites, those links are contained in a horizontally oriented element that is at the very top of the page, above the logo. I'm not sure that hiding these links would be a good idea, since users familiar with vBulletin expect to see these links visible at the top of the page. And with the current logo, they fit nicely where they are. :D

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I'd like to mention something here too.

One reason we may not show up when someone searcher for a math problem is the following: When searching for a problem in, say groups, if I search "[dollar]G/Z(G)[dollar] is cyclic then [dollar]G[dollar] is abelain", the first hit is Math StackExchange. MHB will not get any hits since we are discouraged from using LaTeX in the title of a thread. To ask the same question without using TeX would mean writing "If G module its center is cyclic then G is abelian", and this would get awfully long as the topics become more complicated and require more notation in order to exonomically express them.

Secondly, I have always felt that MHB is a slow site. I thought that may be my internet connection is slow.

Lastly, I would like to mention that a little something will die in me if this community should die. I want to see this forum flourish and become the mafia of math help in the next 5 years.
The problem with $\LaTeX$ in thread titles is that it can hinder intra-site searches, makes editing thread titles much more difficult for our moderating staff as the title is converted into a mountain of HTML via MathJax's scripts, and will slow the rendering of the forumhome and forumdisplay templates.

Jameson is checking with his host to see if anything can be done to improve the speed of the site in more locations. Does the entire site seem slow, or just certain pages?

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Jameson is checking with his host to see if anything can be done to improve the speed of the site in more locations. Does the entire site seem slow, or just certain pages?
When trying to submit my answer to some question, it takes unreasonably long to finally submit.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
On my Android phone the site tends to be a bit sluggish, which can be expected I guess.
Sometimes it's really bad when trying to submit a response, so that I'm left wondering if something is wrong, and my response is gone, or if it is just really slow.

What does draw my attention in particular, is that all formulas are rendered immediately at first, although not in good quality, and then they get replaced with different spacing and improved quality, which takes forever (on a page with many formulas).
In the meantime the page keeps jumping up and down, making it impossible to read or do anything until all formulas have been rendered.

Greg

Perseverance
Staff member
Feb 5, 2013
Well, I suppose I am one of the lucky ones - the site is almost always quick. I suppose that might have to do with my geographic location being close to the centroid of North America. ;)

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
Well, I suppose I am one of the lucky ones - the site is almost always quick. I suppose that might have to do with my geographic location being close to the centroid of North America. ;)
You Americans and your lack of ping problems ;)

mathlearn

Jul 24, 2016
Yep... Even for someone who hasn't put any effort it, it's somewhat disgruntling.

Wow.. I hadn't tried this. Same for me in Australia. Searching "Math Help" gets MHB as the third hit on Google. And typing "Math forum" i can't find MHB within the first 20 pages :(.

How many mathematicians does it take to popularize a forum? xD
Look what I found. Change of a word makes a lot of difference. :)

View attachment 5911

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
Look what I found. I guess It Depends from time to time.
Yes typing 'help' as keyword works. But remove 'help' and try some other combination of math and forum.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks to all for the feedback about slow loading times. I've signed us up for a service that should cache our pages around the world and help speed up traffic for everyone. Please do let me know if you notice a difference. It should take about 24 hours to fully take effect. :)

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
Thanks to all for the feedback about slow loading times. I've signed us up for a service that should cache our pages around the world and help speed up traffic for everyone. Please do let me know if you notice a difference. It should take about 24 hours to fully take effect. :)
Just wanted to follow this up and say that whatever has been changed seems to have worked :). I don't get any slow loading times or weird stuff anymore. Thanks again MHB team!

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
Slow again :(.

Not sure what's changed, but the symptoms are exactly the same as before.

Greg Bernhardt

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2012
Slow again :(.

Not sure what's changed, but the symptoms are exactly the same as before.
In your OS command prompt run tracert mathhelpboards.com and post the results.

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks. I'll try this tomorrow!
We've just added some more RAM to the site which should help with server processing and I've changed some setting on CloudFlare which should help with caching. CloudFlare has servers all over the world that send you our website based on which server is closet to you. We also have another tweak or two in the works. So please run the traceroute like dethfire suggested and add up the times you see, plus hang on for a couple days. It might speed up. :)

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
We've just added some more RAM to the site which should help with server processing and I've changed some setting on CloudFlare which should help with caching. CloudFlare has servers all over the world that send you our website based on which server is closet to you. We also have another tweak or two in the works. So please run the traceroute like dethfire suggested and add up the times you see, plus hang on for a couple days. It might speed up. :)
No no. The speed is fine now :). But every now and then it seems to drop down.

< 1ms for the tracert results :p.