Outlook of the plasma physics & fusion field?

In summary, the field of plasma physics seems to be doing well, but there is potential for it to do even better due to the many projects being proposed, such as ITER.
ballistikk
This is definitely the field I'm most interested in. Does the outlook look good for the field? I would think that with much of the country more than open for energy alternatives, this field would be one with a bright future, but I don't hear much about fusion research in mainstream.

Physics news on Phys.org
This was a topic of discussion within our plasma group. There was a consensus that with projects like ITER (Internation Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor) being proposed the work prospects for us up and coming physicists are good. They are wanting to employ the next generation of people that will run and maintain such fusion reactors. yay!

I am assuming you are from the US...which is good since you have a decent stake in ITER. However for us down-under the government is not spending anything or expressing interest into ITER which means we will be paying out of our proverbial backsides once fusion energy comes online.

The reason why fusion research has not been heard about in the mainstream is a result of the many (unsubtantiated) promises that were made in previous decades that said we'd have fusion power within x amount of years which didn't happen. However as far as I have been informed by plasma physicist at the moment, the prediction is for ITER to at least provide a 10-fold return in energy once it is operational. So the basic premise of ITER is to sort out the design of fusion reactors for energy production. Basically the future looks good but you can't predict the politics of the day which is why it seems like fusion research never goes anywhere.

From a student fascinated by fusion.
James

Carrying on the theme that I have tried to impress on many people here, try not to restrict yourself to a particular application of the subject matter that may inhibit your "employability".

While fusion and fusion reactors are certainly big areas of application for plasma physics, these are not the only ones. Most people, especially students just starting out, do not realize that another area in which plasma physics is widely applied is in accelerator/beam physics. In particular, the plasma wakefield accelerator scheme combines both accelerator beam physics with plasma physics to create what could possibily the next high-gradient acceleration mechanism.

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/grp/arb/e164/

This is where expanding one's horizon may be beneficial. What you learn and study, although it is for a particular application, can actually be quite general and have significant relevance in other fields that you may not know even existed.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Carrying on the theme that I have tried to impress on many people here, try not to restrict yourself to a particular application of the subject matter that may inhibit your "employability".

While fusion and fusion reactors are certainly big areas of application for plasma physics, these are not the only ones. Most people, especially students just starting out, do not realize that another area in which plasma physics is widely applied is in accelerator/beam physics. In particular, the plasma wakefield accelerator scheme combines both accelerator beam physics with plasma physics to create what could possibily the next high-gradient acceleration mechanism.

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/grp/arb/e164/

This is where expanding one's horizon may be beneficial. What you learn and study, although it is for a particular application, can actually be quite general and have significant relevance in other fields that you may not know even existed.

Zz.

I'm seeing what you're talking about more and more. Although my main interest is plasma physics pertaining to fusion research, I've also become interested in the study of non-linear dynamics and how while studying it with respect to plasma physics I could also be getting a valuable education as far as maybe something in finance or medicine if the opportunity arrises.

Related to Outlook of the plasma physics & fusion field?

1. What is plasma physics and its significance in fusion research?

Plasma physics is the study of matter in its ionized state, also known as plasma. It is significant in fusion research because plasma is the state of matter where nuclear fusion reactions occur, making it crucial in understanding and controlling fusion reactions.

2. What are the current challenges in the plasma physics and fusion field?

Some of the current challenges in the field include achieving and sustaining high enough temperatures and densities for fusion reactions to occur, confining the plasma for a sufficient amount of time, and developing efficient methods for extracting energy from the fusion reactions.

3. How is plasma created and controlled in fusion experiments?

Plasma is created by heating a gas to extremely high temperatures, causing the atoms to ionize and form a plasma state. It is then contained and controlled using powerful magnetic fields to prevent it from coming into contact with the walls of the fusion chamber.

4. What are the potential benefits of achieving successful fusion reactions?

If fusion reactions can be successfully harnessed, it could provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy, as the fuel used is abundant and produces no greenhouse gas emissions or long-lived radioactive waste.

5. What are some current research and development efforts in the plasma physics and fusion field?

There are ongoing efforts to improve the performance of fusion reactors, develop new materials that can withstand the extreme conditions of fusion reactions, and explore alternative fusion concepts such as magnetized target fusion and inertial confinement fusion.