Outlook (desktop application) problem

• Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Application
In summary: Microsoft account, and they're both signed in to their respective devices, then it would seem that the account is available on each device.
StevieTNZ
TL;DR Summary
Outlook program won't connect to Outlook server
Since Tuesday, my dad's emails have stopped coming through on Outlook (desktop application). No error is given, except 'Trying to connect to server'. A few days ago, it asked my credentials for the Office 365 account which I provided (its an active subscription), only after 10 mins of it relaying those details to Microsoft getting the error message 0x800705b4. I googled it, I've tried repairing Office (both quick and online), yet nothing improves.

Does anyone have a clue at what is going on and how I can fix it? Temporarily my dad is using www.outlook.com.

The stress of trying to sort this out is enormous; its actually become quite a disgrace.

Computer science news on Phys.org
My wife has a hotmail acct and there is an annual charge of $20 for it.

perhaps his account has something similar and the credit card has expired.

Check his email stream for messages from MS for the past two months.

You could also contact the MS hotline number whatever it is for your country.

The same Office 365 account can be used on 5 PCs, (my laptop has it). Mine is functioning fine, though its using Gmail. I usually get charged $16 a month and that went out fine last time. The visa debit card hasn't expired yet.

I think I will ring Microsoft, unless anyone can offer other suggestions - or I might pop on Microsoft's help forum.

EDIT: it no longer asks for my Microsoft credentials (though at the same time as the desktop wanted them, my laptop didn't).

StevieTNZ said:
getting the error message 0x800705b4. I googled it,
There's a lot of rubbish that comes up when googling Microsoft error codes. Did your search turn up this information from MS themselves and did you try the suggested solution? Note that this points towards confilict with anti-virus software, what AV is on the laptop and is it up to date?

StevieTNZ said:
The same Office 365 account can be used on 5 PCs, (my laptop has it).
I don't want to make any assumptions about your licensing arragements, but as I understand Office 365's terms they allow the same Office 365 account to be used on 5 PCs by the same person.

Hotmail is still free. The charge is for new users to be able to use a desktop client like Outlook which comes with Office. Existing users should still be able to access their hotmail accounts using Outlook.

Anyone can still access via the web front end.

pbuk said:
There's a lot of rubbish that comes up when googling Microsoft error codes. Did your search turn up this information from MS themselves and did you try the suggested solution? Note that this points towards confilict with anti-virus software, what AV is on the laptop and is it up to date?
That link refers to Windows Updates.

I don't want to make any assumptions about your licensing arragements, but as I understand Office 365's terms they allow the same Office 365 account to be used on 5 PCs by the same person.
That'd be ludacris.

But in any case, we're not getting that error message anymore - it seems Office 365 knows we have, and has applied to that PC, an active subscription. Its just 'Connecting to server' that is the issue. Usually you can click on that (like when Outlook does a send and receive) but nothing pops up so you have no clue what's going on. After 10 mins you end up closing Outlook and going to outlook.com. As I said, technology = stress, and its becoming quite disgusting.

StevieTNZ said:
That link refers to Windows Updates.
Yes, the error code you quoted appears to be associated with missing updates to Windows Defender.

StevieTNZ said:
That'd be ludacris.
Ludicrous? I have Microsoft 365 on my desktop, laptop, iPad and phone: seems like I have one spare slot at the moment.

pbuk said:
Yes, the error code you quoted appears to be associated with missing updates to Windows Defender.
I guess the error code doesn't need further investigation - it is why Outlook sits on 'Connecting to server' (Outlook) forever.

pbuk said:
Ludicrous? I have Microsoft 365 on my desktop, laptop, iPad and phone: seems like I have one spare slot at the moment.
Yes, in the sense that it is the same user on every five device.

pbuk said:
as I understand Office 365's terms they allow the same Office 365 account to be used on 5 PCs by the same person.
Where "person" = "Microsoft account", right? If that's the case, if two people share the credentials to a single Microsoft account, how can Microsoft tell the difference, especially if they're in the same household and usually have the same or similar IP addresses?

jtbell said:
Where "person" = "Microsoft account", right? If that's the case, if two people share the credentials to a single Microsoft account, how can Microsoft tell the difference, especially if they're in the same household and usually have the same or similar IP addresses?
I can think of a few ways, but that's not the point - if you are using software outside of its license conditions you are not in a position to complain when it doesn't work.

In the UK there is GBP20 a year difference between the single user MS 365 and family (up to 6 users in the same household) subscriptions.

All of this discussion is based on the assumption that it is used by the same person on 5 devices. No definite answer has been provided.

The question about why it won't work on the desktop still goes unanswered. I'll just go elsewhere.

1. Why is my Outlook not opening?

There can be several reasons why your Outlook is not opening, including corrupted files, outdated software, or conflicting add-ins. Try restarting your computer, repairing your Outlook installation, or disabling any recently added add-ins to see if that resolves the issue.

2. How do I fix Outlook when it keeps crashing?

If your Outlook is constantly crashing, try running it in safe mode by holding down the CTRL key while opening the application. This will disable any add-ins that may be causing the issue. You can also try repairing your Outlook installation or updating to the latest version.

3. How do I recover deleted emails in Outlook?

If you have accidentally deleted an email in Outlook, you can check your Deleted Items folder to see if it is still there. If not, you can try recovering it from the Recoverable Items folder. If you have permanently deleted the email, you may be able to retrieve it from a backup or through a third-party data recovery tool.

4. Why is my Outlook not sending or receiving emails?

There are a few things that could be causing this issue, including incorrect server settings, network connection problems, or a full mailbox. Make sure your settings are correct, check your internet connection, and try clearing out some space in your mailbox if it is full.

5. How do I fix Outlook when it is not responding?

If Outlook is not responding, try closing and reopening the program. If that does not work, try restarting your computer, disabling any add-ins, or repairing your Outlook installation. You can also try creating a new Outlook profile or running a repair tool to fix any corrupted files.