Can being out of phase with time increase the impact of objects?

In summary, the term "out of phase" refers to wave motion where two waves cancel each other out. It is not typically used to describe time. The idea of controlling the time phase of an object is being researched, but there is no evidence of being able to stop or reverse time. Time is a relationship between changes in objects and their surroundings. If there is no change, time is irrelevant. "Out of phase" can also refer to being slightly ahead or behind in the time stream.
mrmango
I have heard of a term being thrown around called 'being out of phase'.

As I understand this, if you were out of phase with normal time. Say, for instance time for you went faster than others. You would therefore move faster than other objects.

What I cannot understand is, if you would take a ball and throw it, it would move much fast than the 'normal' time. Would this ball (if it did not vapourise) be able to create more damage to other objects, because of its high speed? Or would the ball interact with other objects with the same force as a ball under normal time.

Mr Mango

Physics news on Phys.org
THe term "out of phase" is referring to wave motion. It is the idea that two waves can be traveling in the same medium, and they could meet, but where one is at the high point of the wave, the other is at the low point. The two waves are out of phase and they cancel each other out (but just at that point and for just that moment in time).

I am not aware of "out of phase" being used in the way you have described. But even if you were "out of phase" with normal time, it would not follow, necessarily that the flow of time be faster or slower.

If I can find the article, I will post the url.

I am very new to this sort of area, but interested. If could also be that I have not explained myself correctly.

Thanks for the reply.

To influence and alter the time phase of an object would be to control time itself for that object. Some research and actual exeriments on this can be found in a lab near Manhattan, call "Project Dark Star". They claim to have been able to slow the rate of time of an object (i.e. clocks, plants, etc..), and even increase the rate of time of those objects, in relation to our (outsiders) time rate, but have been unsuccessfull in actually stopping or reversing time, only slowing it down and speeding it up.

Hope this helps.

Having read this thread, I am a little confused. Perhaps you can help:

I thought that "time" is a "relationship" as opposed to a force or other influencing energy. In other words, I have always felt that time only exists if there is a change in the object with respect to a previous state, or, there is a change of the object with relationship to something else.
If nothing changed, internally or externally(I know this is not possible) would not the notion of time be meaningless?

Originally posted by pallidin
If nothing changed, internally or externally(I know this is not possible) would not the notion of time be meaningless?

If an object remained completely unchanged over time, then time would by defenition by irrelevant to it. Of course everything around it would still be changed by time.

On topic: I always thought Out of Phase as being slightly forward or behind in the time stream as the rest of environment. Kind of like a car following behind you on the road. If you were unable to look behind you(as we can't look back in time), you woudn't be able to see that car. It would be Out of Phase so to speak.

1. What is the relationship between speed and time?

The relationship between speed and time is that they are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as speed increases, time decreases, and vice versa. This is described by the formula speed = distance/time.

2. How does acceleration affect the speed and time phase?

Acceleration is directly related to both speed and time. If an object is accelerating, its speed is changing over time. The greater the acceleration, the faster the speed changes. This can be represented by the equation acceleration = change in speed/change in time.

3. Can speed and time phase be manipulated?

Yes, speed and time phase can be manipulated through various factors such as changing the amount of force applied, altering the surface or medium the object is traveling on, or changing the shape or weight of the object. These manipulations can affect the speed and time phase of an object, resulting in changes to its overall motion.

4. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time. Average speed gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous speed provides information about its speed at a specific point in time.

5. How is speed and time phase used in scientific experiments?

Speed and time phase are crucial components in many scientific experiments, especially those involving motion and forces. By measuring an object's speed and time phase, scientists can calculate its acceleration, predict its future motion, and analyze the effects of different variables on its movement. This information can then be used to make accurate predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of objects in motion.