Outer measure exclusion of zero set question

In summary, the conversation discusses Pugh's argument for why the exclusion of a zero set does not change the Lebesgue outer measure. This is demonstrated by using the fact that $m^*(E)=m^*(E\cup Z)$ and applying it to the set $E\setminus Z$. The question arises about where the term $E\cap Z$ comes from in the second equality, and it is explained that since $Z$ is a zero set, so is $E\cap Z$. Therefore, $m^*(E)=m^*(E\cup (E\cap Z))$ can be applied to $E\setminus Z$ to show that $m^*(E\setminus Z
Tom555
I've just started self-studying measure theory by reading Pugh's Mathematical Analysis. I'm trying to understand his argument for why the exclusion of a zero set does not change the outer measure: $m^*(E\setminus Z)=m^*(E)$:

(Pugh's arugment): Let $Z$ be a zero set, $E\subseteq\mathbb{R}$, and $m^*$ be the Lebesgue outer measure. Since $m^*(E)=m^*(E\cup Z)$, applying this to the set $E\setminus Z$ gives $m^*(E\setminus Z)=m^*((E\setminus Z)\cup(E\cap Z))=m^*(E).$ QED

My question is where does the $E\cap Z$ come from in the second equality above? If you're using $m^*(E)=m^*(E\cup Z)$ and making the substitution $E\to E\setminus Z$, why isn't it $m^*(E\setminus Z)=m^*((E\setminus Z)\cup Z)?$

Also, this is my first post on this site, so I apologize if something isn't formatted correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adam1729 said:
I've just started self-studying measure theory by reading Pugh's Mathematical Analysis. I'm trying to understand his argument for why the exclusion of a zero set does not change the outer measure: $m^*(E\setminus Z)=m^*(E)$:

(Pugh's arugment): Let $Z$ be a zero set, $E\subseteq\mathbb{R}$, and $m^*$ be the Lebesgue outer measure. Since $m^*(E)=m^*(E\cup Z)$, applying this to the set $E\setminus Z$ gives $m^*(E\setminus Z)=m^*((E\setminus Z)\cup(E\cap Z))=m^*(E).$ QED

My question is where does the $E\cap Z$ come from in the second equality above? If you're using $m^*(E)=m^*(E\cup Z)$ and making the substitution $E\to E\setminus Z$, why isn't it $m^*(E\setminus Z)=m^*((E\setminus Z)\cup Z)?$

Also, this is my first post on this site, so I apologize if something isn't formatted correctly.
I think the following is being said: Since $Z$ is a zero set, so is $E\cap Z$. Thus $m^*(A)=m^*(A\cup (E\cap Z))$ for any $A\subseteq \mathbb R$. In particular we can take, $A=E\setminus Z$.

Does this answer your question?

Yes, thank you very much! :)

Related to Outer measure exclusion of zero set question

1. What is the outer measure of a zero set?

The outer measure of a zero set is always equal to zero. This is because a zero set is a set of points that have measure zero, meaning they take up no space or volume.

2. How is the outer measure of a set calculated?

The outer measure of a set is calculated by taking the infimum (greatest lower bound) of the sums of the measures of covering intervals or regions. In other words, it is the smallest possible measure that can cover the set.

3. Why is the zero set excluded from the outer measure?

The zero set is excluded from the outer measure because it has a measure of zero, meaning it takes up no space. Therefore, including it in the calculation would not contribute to the overall measure of a set.

4. Is the outer measure of a set always equal to its inner measure?

No, the outer measure of a set is not always equal to its inner measure. The outer measure is always greater than or equal to the inner measure, as the inner measure only considers the largest possible subset of a set, while the outer measure considers all possible subsets.

5. How is the outer measure affected by the choice of covering intervals or regions?

The outer measure can be affected by the choice of covering intervals or regions. In some cases, a smaller choice of covering intervals or regions may result in a smaller outer measure, while in other cases, a larger choice may result in a smaller outer measure. The optimal choice will depend on the specific set being measured.