World 'appeasing' climate threat

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Climate
In summary, Lovelock believes that the Kyoto Protocol is a waste of time and that the only way to stop global warming is to use nuclear power. He thinks that the Earth's attempts to restore its equilibrium may eliminate civilization and most humans.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"World 'appeasing' climate threat"

One of the UK's best-known scientists, Professor James Lovelock, says only a catastrophe will prompt the world to tackle the threat of climate change.
He says the global climate treaty, the Kyoto Protocol, is simply an attempt to appease a self-regulating Earth system.

Professor Lovelock thinks the Earth's attempts to restore its equilibrium may eliminate civilisation and most humans. [continued]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3766831.stm

I don't know much about this person and he sounds like a bit of a crackpot to me, but since I don't know I didn't want to judge. For this reason I am posting for your approval or not. Go get him Andre! :biggrin:

Here is a little about Lovelock

Lovelock was born in Letchworth Garden City. He studied chemistry at Manchester University before taking up a Medical Research Council post at the Institute for Medical Research in London.

In 1948 he received a Ph.D. in medicine at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Within the United States he has taught at Yale, Baylor University College of Medicine, and Harvard University.

[edit]
Professional Career
A lifelong inventor, some of his inventions were adopted by NASA in their program of planetary exploration. It was while working for NASA that Lovelock developed the Gaia Hypothesis.

Lovelock is currently president of the Marine Biological Association, was elected a FRS in 1974, and in 1990 was awarded the first Amsterdam Prize for the Environment by the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. An independent scientist, inventor, and author, Lovelock works out of a barn-turned-laboratory in Cornwall.

Lovelock was among the first researchers to sound the alarm about the threat from the greenhouse effect. His opinion is that "Only nuclear power can now halt global warming "[continued]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Lovelock

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Lovelock works out of a barn-turned-laboratory in Cornwall.

This is the part that really scared me since I also work out of a barn-turned-laboratory. :surprise:

Ivan Seeking said:
This is the part that really scared me since I also work out of a barn-turned-laboratory. :surprise:

Unfortunately,I live on an old chickenfarm. I would kill for a barn-turned laboratory. My hunchback, however, doesn't mind the coop's low ceiling.

Njorl

Njorl said:
Unfortunately,I live on an old chickenfarm.

I would kill for an old chickenfarm! That's amazing. :eek:

Well, for starters, James Lovelock is the inventor of http://www.acad.carleton.edu/curricular/GEOL/DaveSTELLA/Daisyworld/gaia.htm and

http://www.acad.carleton.edu/curricular/GEOL/DaveSTELLA/Daisyworld/daisyworld_model.htm , however these very elegant ideas encouters some philosophical objections. It assumes for instance a desired endstate, whilst Nature has no goal. Gaia is a regulated ideal living world in which lifeforms that support this, will be thriving whilst lifeforms that oppose it, will perish. Hence Gaia could have been a "appeasing" bridge between science and religion but neither party seems to be interested in that.

With this background, the article makes perfect sense. Mankind is against Gaia and will be punished by global warming.

Anyway, the problem is that we have not even a beginning clue to what's happening to climate. It may be noticed for instance the warming trend of the preriod 1996-2003 seem to have been reversed. So the "CO2 is global warming" is very premature and it's far more easy to disprove it than to have it confirmed. Yet the over simplification - occam razor level is very appealing. Everybody can understand. So if you tell Lovelock that CO2 = global warming and he thinks you are right, well this is the obvious result.

But remember: a strong slogan (CO2=global warming) will kill 50 years worth of rational thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the main cause of climate change?

The main cause of climate change is the increase in greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide, in the Earth's atmosphere. These gases trap heat and cause the Earth's temperature to rise, resulting in changes to weather patterns, sea levels, and ecosystems.

2. How does climate change impact the environment?

Climate change has a significant impact on the environment, including melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels, ocean acidification, and more frequent and severe natural disasters. It also affects plants and animals, causing changes in migration patterns, habitats, and extinction risks.

3. What are the consequences of not addressing climate change?

The consequences of not addressing climate change are severe and far-reaching. It can lead to the displacement of millions of people due to rising sea levels and extreme weather events. It can also result in food and water shortages, economic instability, and loss of biodiversity.

4. What is being done to mitigate the effects of climate change?

Many countries and organizations are taking steps to mitigate the effects of climate change, such as reducing greenhouse gas emissions, investing in renewable energy sources, and implementing sustainable practices. International agreements, such as the Paris Climate Agreement, also aim to limit global temperature rise and address the issue on a global scale.

5. How can individuals make a difference in fighting climate change?

Individuals can make a difference by reducing their carbon footprint, such as using public transportation, conserving energy, and eating a plant-based diet. They can also support organizations and businesses that prioritize sustainability and advocate for government policies that address climate change. Educating others about the issue and its impact can also create awareness and drive positive change.