OUNT OF POWER IN SOUND WAVESThe Intensity of Sound Waves

In summary, for the first problem, the construction supervisor must walk approximately 78.8 meters west in order for the amplitude of the wave function to drop by a factor of 1.90. For the second problem, the loudspeaker is approximately 121.16 meters away from observer A and 3.84 meters away from observer B. The relationship between intensity and amplitude is not linear, and intensity varies as the square of the amplitude.
Kawrae
>> A jackhammer, operated continuously at a construction site, behaves as a point source of spherical sound waves. A construction supervisor stands 52.0 m due north of this sound source and begins to walk due west. How far does she have to walk in order for the amplitude of the wave function to drop by a factor of 1.90?

I'm not really sure how to set this problem up. The only thing I have so far is that 1/1.90 Amplitude1 = Amplitude2...

>> A loudspeaker is placed between two observers who are 125 m apart, along the line connecting them. If one observer (observer A) records a sound level of 70 dB and the other (observer B) records a sound level of 100 dB, how far is the speaker from each observer?

Again, I'm not sure how to start this. I'm fairly certain I have to use intensity levels, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second problem i would get both intensities then use

[tex] I_{1}r_{1}^2 = I_{2}r_{2}^2 [/tex]

[tex] r_{1} + r_{2} = 125 [/tex]

Last edited:
Kawrae said:
>> A jackhammer, operated continuously at a construction site, behaves as a point source of spherical sound waves. A construction supervisor stands 52.0 m due north of this sound source and begins to walk due west. How far does she have to walk in order for the amplitude of the wave function to drop by a factor of 1.90?
This is just an application of the 1/s^2 rule for sound intensity and a little trigonometry.You also have to know the relationship between amplitude and intensity (hint: it is not linear). How far from the source does the supervisor have to be to have the intensity drop to that level (ie. the intensity where amplitude is 1/1.9 of the original)?

Am

Kawrae said:
>> A loudspeaker is placed between two observers who are 125 m apart, along the line connecting them. If one observer (observer A) records a sound level of 70 dB and the other (observer B) records a sound level of 100 dB, how far is the speaker from each observer?

Okay, I think I have this set up right now but the algebra is tripping me up. I found the intensity of observer A to be 1.0x10^-5 and the intensity of observer B to be .01. Then I used the formulas I(a)r(a)^2=I(b)r(b)^2 and r(a)+r(b)=125.

So then plugging things in, I get r(a)+((I(b)r(b)^2)/(I(a)))^1/2 = 125. This should be the easy step, but I don't know how to solve for r(a). When I try it I get an answer of around 2700m... which can't be right since the two observers are only 125 meters apart to begin with!

What do you mean?

i got good answers, check your algebra.

[tex] r_{1}= \sqrt{\frac{I_{2}}{I_{1}}} r_{2} [/tex]

Substituing

[tex] r_{2} + \sqrt{\frac{I_{2}}{I_{1}}} r_{2} = 125[/tex]

[tex] r_{2} = \frac{125}{1+\sqrt{\frac{I_{2}}{I_{1}}}}[/tex]

Solutions

[tex] r_{1} = 121.16 m [/tex]

[tex] r_{2} = 3.84 m [/tex]

Andrew Mason said:
This is just an application of the 1/s^2 rule for sound intensity and a little trigonometry.You also have to know the relationship between amplitude and intensity (hint: it is not linear). How far from the source does the supervisor have to be to have the intensity drop to that level (ie. the intensity where amplitude is 1/1.9 of the original)?

Am

Okay I've gotten all the problems for this homework except this one about the jackhammer. I'm still not sure how to set this up... I know intensity is equal to power over amplitude?

Kawrae said:
Okay I've gotten all the problems for this homework except this one about the jackhammer. I'm still not sure how to set this up... I know intensity is equal to power over amplitude?
No. Intensity = Power/Area (eg. units of watts/m^2). Intensity varies as the square of the amplitude.

AM

Related to OUNT OF POWER IN SOUND WAVESThe Intensity of Sound Waves

1. What is the difference between a transverse and longitudinal sound wave?

A transverse sound wave is a type of wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave's motion. This type of wave is commonly found in solids and can also occur in liquids and gases. On the other hand, a longitudinal sound wave is a type of wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave's motion. This type of wave is commonly found in gases and liquids and can also occur in solids.

2. How do sound waves travel through different mediums?

Sound waves travel through different mediums by causing particles in the medium to vibrate. In solids, the particles are closely packed, allowing sound waves to travel quickly. In liquids, the particles are further apart, causing sound waves to travel at a slower speed. In gases, the particles are even further apart, resulting in the slowest speed of sound.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and pitch in sound waves?

Frequency and pitch are directly related in sound waves. The higher the frequency of a sound wave, the higher the pitch will be perceived by the human ear. This is because higher frequency waves have shorter wavelengths, producing a higher number of waves per second, which the brain interprets as a higher pitch.

4. How do sound waves interact with each other?

When two sound waves meet, they can either interfere constructively or destructively. If the waves have the same frequency and are in phase (peaks and troughs align), they will interfere constructively, resulting in a louder sound. If the waves have different frequencies or are out of phase, they will interfere destructively, resulting in a quieter sound.

5. How do sound waves travel through different temperatures?

Sound waves travel faster through warmer mediums and slower through cooler mediums. This is because the particles in a warmer medium have more energy, allowing them to vibrate more quickly and transmit sound waves faster. In cooler mediums, the particles have less energy and vibrate more slowly, resulting in a slower speed of sound.