Other (wave) state still there after collapse?

In summary, the conversation discusses the quantum eraser experiment and the implications it has on the concept of information and time in the quantum world. The ability to erase the "which-way" information of entangled photons leads to the restoration of their wave-state, suggesting that the information was never truly erased but only suppressed. The conversation also brings up the idea of complementary concepts in quantum mechanics, such as interference and which-way information, as well as position and momentum. There is a discussion on whether the delayed choice experiment can be achieved for massive particles like electrons, which could shed more light on the concept of information and time in the quantum world.
San K
since erasure of which-way can "restore" the entangled photons back to the "wave-state"

can we conclude that the information (of the wave state stays) even during collapse?or let me explain via double slit

if we get which-way...we can expect disappearance of interference pattern

however if we erase which-way we can expect appearance of interference pattern...

now if we again get which-way...we can put the photon back in the "which-way path"

thus we have to choice to ability to keep switching the photon between "which-way path" to

"no-which-way" path...it we retain the ablity to change the photon path and "striking position" on the detector (anytime prior to strike/detection)this would seem to suggest that the photon carriers both path (blob, int pattern) info (wave/no-wave forces) at all times...

in other words (and this is just imaginary since we don't know exactly what happens)

we can move/shift the photon's path...such that it would fall inside the fringes (int pattern) or make a blob (which-way)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could say that something fundmantal and some inherent information about the system is being sent back in time. Is this the quantum eraser experiment by any chance? The transactional interpretation has a lot to say on it, and Wheelers Delayed Choice experiment also shows how the present state can alter the past by observations we make today.

Goldstone1 said:
You could say that something fundmantal and some inherent information about the system is being sent back in time. Is this the quantum eraser experiment by any chance? The transactional interpretation has a lot to say on it, and Wheelers Delayed Choice experiment also shows how the present state can alter the past by observations we make today.

1. One interpretation could be (as you said above) - ability to go back in time
2. another one could be (the photon always kept/carried the information, of all paths...)

I am looking at both

1. Double slit without entanglement/DCQE...just a single photon...in this case we have to imagine/assume that a way to erase which-way info has been developed (without use of entanglement)

2. Double slit with entanglement/DCQE

Yes, you can say something instrinsic information remains, even after transactions. It would ultimately make us understand how the universe not only knows what path it will take, but it ''remembers'' it's own environment. But then the universe is something quite different to a particle like a photon... but it gives you an idea, information can always be retained in QM. Information never disappears.

Goldstone1 said:
Yes, you can say something instrinsic information remains, even after transactions. It would ultimately make us understand how the universe not only knows what path it will take, but it ''remembers'' it's own environment. But then the universe is something quite different to a particle like a photon... but it gives you an idea, information can always be retained in QM. Information never disappears.

yes...good post goldstone ... information is never "really" erased perhaps only suppressed/embedded...however we can get only one of them at a time (int or no-int pattern) ...and the choice remains with us...till the moment the photon strikes/registers on the detector...

(side note: we do have the choice of getting mixture too...for example partial int and partial which-way)

int and no-int are complementary
position and momentum are complementary
two sides of the same coin...

perhaps they are the same thing...however in different...states/dimensions?

Last edited:
Really, you should think of there being a context which includes a variety of points in time. Essentially the initial state and the final state. What happens in between is not "real" and will lead to paradox.

DrChinese said:
Really, you should think of there being a context which includes a variety of points in time. Essentially the initial state and the final state. What happens in between is not "real" and will lead to paradox.

A paradox? That's quite a stern analysis of the situation, but I don't think it's correct. Thinking about events ''in between'' is like searching for a theory where information travels faster than light somehow. Maybe information can tunnel under the conditions of an experiment, and travel vast distances? That to me isn't a paradox, and only relies on some modifications of how to apply field theory to relativity.

What I would say is that there is not even any reason to discuss the separation of the particles, and there is no instantaneous interaction because they where connected before that as well. There is no exchange of information, just events happening according to some determinism within the theory.

Goldstone1 said:
... Wheelers Delayed Choice experiment also shows how the present state can alter the past by observations we make today.

Actually, the delayed choice doesn't unambiguously show that .. what it shows is that the results of an experiment on photons depends on the entire context of the experiment between the source and detector. How you interpret the results depends somewhat on your interpretation, but there is an analysis in terms of standard QM that doesn't require or imply any sort of retrocausality.

An interesting side-point is whether or not the delayed choice can be experimentally achieved for a single electron, as it was for a single photon in 2007 by Aspect. I am interested in this because, as I understand it, massive particles like electrons "experience time" in a fundamentally different way than photons, which apparently can be said not to experience the passage of time at all (I am not familiar with the details of the theory). Anyway, I see no fundamental reason (admittedly I only took a few minutes to think about it) why delayed choice should not work for massive particles, for example in an appropriately designed SG-based atom interferometer. Wouldn't this address the question of whether information "travels back in time" a little more directly? Or would it still be open to the same interpretational ambiguity as the photon experiment? I think it is the latter, but I can't decide if I agree with myself about that ...

SpectraCat said:
Actually, the delayed choice doesn't unambiguously show that .. what it shows is that the results of an experiment on photons depends on the entire context of the experiment between the source and detector. How you interpret the results depends somewhat on your interpretation, but there is an analysis in terms of standard QM that doesn't require or imply any sort of retrocausality.

An interesting side-point is whether or not the delayed choice can be experimentally achieved for a single electron, as it was for a single photon in 2007 by Aspect. I am interested in this because, as I understand it, massive particles like electrons "experience time" in a fundamentally different way than photons, which apparently can be said not to experience the passage of time at all (I am not familiar with the details of the theory). Anyway, I see no fundamental reason (admittedly I only took a few minutes to think about it) why delayed choice should not work for massive particles, for example in an appropriately designed SG-based atom interferometer. Wouldn't this address the question of whether information "travels back in time" a little more directly? Or would it still be open to the same interpretational ambiguity as the photon experiment? I think it is the latter, but I can't decide if I agree with myself about that ...

Well, decide for yourself the photon-thought experiment. A real object existing in our past cone taking all possible paths, it isn't until it hits a detector in present time, does it's wave function collapse, and a single history is made. In all fairness, to me this says a weak measurement was made and created a past a real event!

DrChinese said:

great thought, well put.

however if we make a measurement in-between, does that then become the starting/end point?

San K said:
great thought, well put.

however if we make a measurement in-between, does that then become the starting/end point?

Why should it? Isn't the middle something different to the end result? And likewise, is not the beginnning a separation of ''it'' and an ''end''?

San K said:
great thought, well put.

A measurement in the middle (say B) will change the context. In other words: If we have a context consisting of starting point A and end point C, then the context is AC. What happens at B is considered counterfactual and is not definite if we have no way of ascertaining the outcome at B. On the other hand, if we can in principle know the outcome, the context is now AB. So we have AB & BC. Which is different than AC alone.

Related to Other (wave) state still there after collapse?

1. What is the "other (wave) state" referred to in this concept?

The "other (wave) state" is a term used in quantum mechanics to describe the possible states of a system before it is observed or measured. It refers to the superposition of all possible outcomes or states that the system could be in.

2. What is the "collapse" referred to in this concept?

The "collapse" refers to the act of observing or measuring a system, which causes it to take on a definite state or outcome. This is also known as wave function collapse or collapse of the quantum state.

3. How is the "other (wave) state" still present after collapse?

According to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, the "other (wave) state" still exists after collapse, but it is no longer accessible or observable. This is because the act of measurement causes the system to take on a definite state, and the other possible states become unobservable.

4. Why is the concept of "other (wave) state still there after collapse" important in quantum mechanics?

This concept is important because it helps explain the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. It shows that before observation, a system can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and it is only through measurement that a definite state is determined. It also highlights the limitations of our understanding and observation of the quantum world.

5. How does the concept of "other (wave) state still there after collapse" relate to Schrödinger's cat thought experiment?

Schrödinger's cat thought experiment is often used to illustrate the concept of the "other (wave) state" and collapse in quantum mechanics. In this experiment, a cat is placed in a box with a vial of poison that will be released based on the decay of a radioactive substance. According to quantum mechanics, before the box is opened and the cat is observed, it exists in a superposition of both alive and dead states. The act of opening the box and observing the cat causes the "collapse" of the wave function and determines the cat's definite state. This highlights the idea of the "other (wave) state" still existing even after collapse.