Osterwalder-Schrader theorem and non-relativistic QM

• A
  • Thread starter king vitamin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm Theorem
In summary: Euclidean path integral can be analytically continued to a valid relativistic Hermitian quantum field theory, provided that the field theory has reflection positivity and time-translation invariance.
king vitamin
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have recently learned a bit about the Osterwalder-Schrader theorem. From my understanding, this tells you when a Euclidean path integral can be analytically continued to a valid relativistic Hermitian quantum field theory (one needs reflection positivity etc.).

I am curious about corresponding results for non-relativistic theories. Let's say I have a Euclidean field theory where there isn't full rotational symmetry; if a definite example is needed, let's say I want it to Wick-rotate to a Galilean-invariant theory. Is there a corresponding theorem for what properties are needed in the Euclidean theory for the Wick rotation (which is used all the time) to guarantees a valid Hermitian quantum field theory?

I don't have an extremely strong background in the mathematics behind AQFT. I did find this statement of the OS theorem by Urs Schreiber (who I know posts here), which gives rotational invariance as an assumption. So my question boils down to whether this assumption can be relaxed.

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
By a Wick rotation one obtains from the symmetry group ##ISO(4)## of the Euclidean path integral one with symmetry group ##ISO(1,3)##, which is the Poincare group and not the Galilei group. To get the latter you'd need to perform a contraction instead of a Wick rotation.

Likes dextercioby
In order to reconstruct a quantum theory from a path integral, you just need reflection positivity (in order to get the Hilbert space) and (imaginary) time-translation invariance, in order to reconstruct the (imaginary) time-evolution operators. If time is continuous and the time evolution is strongly continuous, you can reconstruct the Hamiltonian, which generates ordinary unitary time-evolution. All the other baggage in the OS axioms just ensures that the corresponding quantum theory is a Wightman quantum field theory, but if you don't care about that, then the subset of the axioms that I stated, is enough.

Likes king vitamin, atyy and dextercioby
A. Neumaier said:
By a Wick rotation one obtains from the symmetry group ##ISO(4)## of the Euclidean path integral one with symmetry group ##ISO(1,3)##, which is the Poincare group and not the Galilei group. To get the latter you'd need to perform a contraction instead of a Wick rotation.

I don't follow you here. I am asking about Euclidean-signature theories which do not have ##ISO(4)## symmetry and their relation to quantum theories which do not have ##ISO(1,3)## symmetry. There is certainly a Wick rotation involved, as seen in any textbook. I assume by "contraction" you're referring to the Inönü-Wigner method for getting the Galilei group from the Poincaré? Since I'm not interested in Poincaré invariance I do not understand this comment either.

rubi said:
In order to reconstruct a quantum theory from a path integral, you just need reflection positivity (in order to get the Hilbert space) and (imaginary) time-translation invariance, in order to reconstruct the (imaginary) time-evolution operators. If time is continuous and the time evolution is strongly continuous, you can reconstruct the Hamiltonian, which generates ordinary unitary time-evolution. All the other baggage in the OS axioms just ensures that the corresponding quantum theory is a Wightman quantum field theory, but if you don't care about that, then the subset of the axioms that I stated, is enough.

This is really helpful, thanks. To repeat what I think I have understood of your post: if I want to apply the path integral to a quantum system with a finite Hilbert space (e.g. it is not a continuum field theory), I can formulate it in terms of a Euclidean path integral where the Euclidean theory requires reflection positivity and imaginary time-translation invariance. The other assumptions of the statement of OS are only needed if I want to guarantee that the corresponding theory is also a "Wightman QFT."

Unfortunately I'm not really familiar with what a Wightman QFT is; I'm looking at the Scholarpedia article now. It seems that it is specifically a Poincaré invariant QFT. I am largely interested in field theories within condensed matter/stat mech where we do not worry much in the passage from a finite lattice to the continuum limit, so I'm not too worried these extra issues provided the finite-dimensional case holds. My question mostly stemmed from thinking of mappings between theories of classical and quantum critical phenomena.

Likes atyy
king vitamin said:
I am asking about Euclidean-signature theories which do not have ISO(4) symmetry and their relation to quantum theories which do not have ISO(1,3) symmetry. There is certainly a Wick rotation involved, as seen in any textbook. I assume by "contraction" you're referring to the Inönü-Wigner method for getting the Galilei group from the Poincaré?
One can get the Galilei group both from ISO(4) and from ISO(1,3) by Inönü-Wigner contraction.

If the field theory you start with has no big symmetry group such as ISO(4) then Wick rotation also produces a theory with little symmetry only - not with the Galilei group.

king vitamin said:
if I want to apply the path integral to a quantum system with a finite Hilbert space (e.g. it is not a continuum field theory)
In this case you cannot get the Galilei-invariant theory you had asked for. It needs fields defined on 3 space variables.

A. Neumaier said:
If the field theory you start with has no big symmetry group such as ISO(4) then Wick rotation also produces a theory with little symmetry only - not with the Galilei group.

But there are certainly Euclidean field theories which Wick rotate to Galilean invariant quantum field theories. I still don't see the point of starting with ##ISO(4)## symmetry. In any case, as I said in my first post, the Galilean symmetry was only mentioned if a definite example is needed.

Let's forget the Galilei group. Assume I start with a continuum Euclidean field theory with full translation invariance along one of the dimensions, and no assumptions about the symmetry along/between the others. I now choose the translation-invariant direction as my "imaginary time" direction which will be Wick rotated. I'm curious about what assumptions are needed for the Wick rotated theory to be a valid QFT.

My understanding from rubi's post is that there is some extra baggage in the OS theorem needed for us to get a "Wightman QFT", and while I don't think I really care about this for the applications I'm currently considering, I am curious how important the assumption of spacetime symmetry is.

A. Neumaier said:
In this case you cannot get the Galilei-invariant theory you had asked for. It needs fields defined on 3 space variables.

Yes, that much is obvious (perhaps you missed the context of the sentence you've quoted?).

king vitamin said:
Assume I start with a continuum Euclidean field theory with full translation invariance along one of the dimensions, and no assumptions about the symmetry along/between the others. I now choose the translation-invariant direction as my "imaginary time" direction which will be Wick rotated. I'm curious about what assumptions are needed for the Wick rotated theory to be a valid QFT.
You get a valid quantum theory but it has no symmetries apart from time translation symmetry. The relevant piece of theory is the Feynman-Kac formula. Whether the result is a valid QFT depends on your definition of the latter. (There is no standard definition in the nonrelativistic case.)

Related to Osterwalder-Schrader theorem and non-relativistic QM

1. What is the Osterwalder-Schrader theorem?

The Osterwalder-Schrader theorem is a mathematical theorem that establishes a rigorous link between the Euclidean and Minkowski formulations of quantum field theory. It states that the correlation functions of a Euclidean quantum field theory can be analytically continued to Minkowski space-time, as long as the theory satisfies certain conditions.

2. What is non-relativistic quantum mechanics?

Non-relativistic quantum mechanics is a mathematical framework that describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the probabilistic nature of particles and their interactions with each other.

3. How does the Osterwalder-Schrader theorem relate to non-relativistic QM?

The Osterwalder-Schrader theorem is important in non-relativistic quantum mechanics because it allows for the analytical continuation of correlation functions from Euclidean space to Minkowski space. This allows for the calculation of physical observables, such as scattering amplitudes, in non-relativistic quantum systems.

4. What are the conditions for the Osterwalder-Schrader theorem to hold?

The Osterwalder-Schrader theorem holds if the Euclidean quantum field theory satisfies the following conditions: a positive-definite Euclidean action, a finite correlation length, a unique vacuum state, and a finite energy gap between the vacuum state and the first excited state.

5. How is the Osterwalder-Schrader theorem used in physics?

The Osterwalder-Schrader theorem is used in physics to connect the mathematical framework of Euclidean quantum field theory to the physical observables of Minkowski quantum field theory. This is particularly useful in non-relativistic quantum systems, where it allows for the calculation of physical quantities that would otherwise be difficult to obtain using traditional methods.