Ostensible Contradiction b/w Continuity & Cartan's Magic Formula

In summary, the continuity equation states that the integral of the J:=\rho+dt\wedge j 3-form on the boundary of any 4-dimensional cube is 0. If we apply Cartan's magic formula to J and the vector field v:=\partial_t, we get that L_vJ=\iota_vdJ+d(\iota_vJ)=d(\iota_vJ)=dj.
mma
Continuity equation is

[itex]dj+\partial_t\rho_t=0[/itex]​

where [itex]j[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex] are a time-dependent 2-form and a time-dependent 3-form on the 3-dimensional space [itex]M[/itex] respectively. (see e.g. A gentle introduction to
the foundations of classical electrodynamics
(2.5))

If we use differential forms on the 4-dimensional space-time [itex]\mathbb R\times M[/itex] instead of time-dependent forms on [itex]M[/itex], than the continuity equation tells that the integral of the [itex]J:=\rho+dt\wedge j[/itex] 3-form on the boundary of any 4-dimensional cube is 0, hence [itex]dJ=0[/itex].

If we apply Cartan's magic formula to [itex]J[/itex] and the vector field [itex]v:=\partial_t[/itex] then we get:

[itex]L_vJ=\iota_vdJ+d(\iota_vJ)=d(\iota_vJ)=dj[/itex]​

On the other hand, [itex]L_vJ=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\tilde\rho_t[/itex]

where [itex]\tilde\rho_t=\varphi_t^*\rho[/itex], where [itex]\varphi[/itex] is the flow of [itex]v(=\partial_t)[/itex], i.e. [itex]\tilde\rho_t[/itex] is the same time-dependent 3-form [itex]\rho_t[/itex] on [itex]\{0\}\times M\simeq M[/itex] as appear in the starting continuity equation.

Consequenty, from Cartan's magic formula we get [itex]\partial_t\rho_t=dj[/itex], i.e.

[itex]dj-\partial_t\rho_t=0[/itex]​

So, there is a sign difference between this equation an the continuity equation. Were is the error?

Physics news on Phys.org

I think the problem is the definition of J! If I compute dJ, I get

[tex]dJ=d_{sp}\rho+dt\wedge\partial_t\rho - dt\wedge d_{sp}j[/tex]

where d_{sp} means the exterior differential wrt spatial coordinates only. Now, [itex]d_{sp}\rho=0[/itex] since rho is a 3-form on a 3-manifold, and so we see that dJ=0 iff [itex]\partial_t\rho - d_{sp}j = 0[/itex] which is not the conservation equation. On the other hand, with [itex]J:= -\rho +dt\wedge j[/itex] we do get dJ=0, and your little playing around with Cartan's formula gives [tex]dj+\partial_t\rho=0[/tex] at the end.

Oh, yes, this solves the problem. I think that I got lost beause the four current vector in Physics is defined with +rho, but now I recognised that it means a - sign when I turn it to differential form because of the - sign in the Minkowski metric.

Thank you very much, Quasar!

Related to Ostensible Contradiction b/w Continuity & Cartan's Magic Formula

1. What is the "Ostensible Contradiction" between continuity and Cartan's Magic Formula?

The ostensible contradiction refers to the apparent mismatch between the continuity equation in fluid dynamics and Cartan's Magic Formula in differential geometry. The continuity equation states that the rate of change of mass in a fluid is equal to the divergence of the fluid velocity, while Cartan's Magic Formula states that the exterior derivative of a differential form is equal to the Lie derivative of that form along the vector field generating the form. These two equations may seem contradictory, but they are actually describing different aspects of the same physical system.

2. How can two seemingly different equations, continuity and Cartan's Magic Formula, describe the same physical system?

The continuity equation and Cartan's Magic Formula are different mathematical representations of the same underlying physical phenomenon. The continuity equation describes the conservation of mass in a fluid, while Cartan's Magic Formula describes the transport of differential forms along a vector field. In fluid dynamics, the velocity field determines the transport of mass, which is captured by both equations.

3. Can the apparent contradiction between continuity and Cartan's Magic Formula be resolved?

Yes, the apparent contradiction can be resolved by understanding the relationship between the two equations. The continuity equation can be derived from Cartan's Magic Formula by considering the exterior derivative of a differential form representing the density of a fluid. This shows that the two equations are not contradictory, but rather complementary.

4. Are there any real-world applications of Cartan's Magic Formula in fluid dynamics?

Yes, Cartan's Magic Formula has several applications in fluid dynamics, such as in the study of turbulence and vorticity. It is also used in the derivation of the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids. Additionally, Cartan's Magic Formula is a fundamental tool in the study of differential geometry, which has numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering.

5. How does understanding Cartan's Magic Formula contribute to a deeper understanding of fluid dynamics?

Understanding Cartan's Magic Formula allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying mathematical structure of fluid dynamics. It shows how seemingly different equations can be connected and how different physical phenomena can be described by the same mathematical framework. Additionally, Cartan's Magic Formula provides a powerful tool for analyzing and solving complex problems in fluid dynamics.