Osmolarity Calculations for 5% Glucose, .89% NaCl, and 8% Glucose Solutions

In summary, to calculate the osmolarity of a solution, you need to find the density of the solution and then follow from there.
Nouranoura
You have to show your attempts, this is a forum policy. Also, all homework like questions should go to homework forum.
I don't know how to get the oolarity from just the percentage
See this question:
Calculate the osmolarity of each solutions:
5% glucose solution
.89% NaCl solution
And 8% glucose solution
i=1.9

Physics news on Phys.org
Convert percentages to molarities.

Borek said:
Convert percentages to molarities.
Yeah I know but how do I do that? Is it by using w/v %? How does the NaCl 0.89% become 8.9 g/l? That's the part that I don't get

Approximately: 1 L is 1 kg.

Precisely: take a density table, read the density for a given concentration, calculate mass of 1 L of the solution, follow from there.

Borek said:

Precisely: take a density table, read the density for a given concentration, calculate mass of 1 L of the solution, follow from there.
I do not follow sir how is the density related to the percentage? Please forgive me I may have not understood you. English is not my first language

Borek said:

Precisely: take a density table, read the density for a given concentration, calculate mass of 1 L of the solution, follow from there.[/QUO

Nouranoura said:
how is the density related to the percentage?

This is something that has to be measured. For many compounds there are ready density tables, some of them printed in chemistry handbooks, some of them available on the internet. You need to locate such a table and read the density for a given concentration.

Borek said:
This is something that has to be measured. For many compounds there are ready density tables, some of them printed in chemistry handbooks, some of them available on the internet. You need to locate such a table and read the density for a given concentration.
Excuse me sir I did not ask what density is, I do know what it is but my question was that why would we need the density.You see the main question is part of a sample exam paper there won't be any density tables whatsoever

Related to Osmolarity Calculations for 5% Glucose, .89% NaCl, and 8% Glucose Solutions

1. What is osmolarity and why is it important?

Osmolarity is a measure of the concentration of solutes in a solution. It is important because it affects the movement of water across a semipermeable membrane, which is crucial for maintaining proper cell function and fluid balance in the body.

2. How do you calculate osmolarity?

Osmolarity can be calculated by multiplying the molar concentration of a solute by the number of particles that it dissociates into. This can be represented by the formula: Osmolarity = (molarity of solute) x (number of particles in solution).

3. What is the difference between osmolarity and osmolality?

Osmolarity measures the concentration of solutes in a solution based on the volume of the solution, while osmolality measures the concentration of solutes based on the mass of the solvent. Osmolality is often preferred in clinical settings as it is not affected by changes in temperature or pressure.

4. How does temperature affect osmolarity calculations?

As temperature increases, the volume of a solution also increases, leading to a decrease in osmolarity. This is because the number of particles in the solution remains the same, but the volume changes. To account for this, some calculations may use an adjusted osmolarity formula that takes temperature into consideration.

5. What are some practical applications of osmolarity calculations?

Osmolarity calculations are used in various scientific and medical fields, such as biochemistry, pharmacology, and physiology. They are important for understanding the effects of different solutions on cells and tissues, as well as for determining the appropriate concentrations of drugs and fluids for medical treatments.