Oscilloscope Quality: ATTEN ADS1102CAL vs OWON SDS7102

In summary, these oscilloscopes are not very good and sometimes break. They are good for work, but not for personal use.
Basher1
Hello people, I am wondering if anyone is familiar with these brands of oscilloscope. I would like to know so I don't end up investing in something that breaks in a 2 months

ATTEN ADS1102CAL 100M Hz 1G Digital Oscilloscope 7" LCD -price $336

OWON 100Mhz Oscilloscope SDS7102 1G/s large 8" -price $467.49

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Basher - these really are the low end of the market - and one or two experiences you may find here probably not too much help ( soo small of a sample set). I have seen the Owons on e-bay so there will be some reviews there, check amazon as well.
I bought a used Fluke Scopemeter - but for my home use I am also looking at these.

However -IMO - most scopes die at the hands of their owners, not due to self-immolation (;-).

Windadct said:
However -IMO - most scopes die at the hands of their owners, not due to self-immolation (;-).

haha i agree. We saw a used tektronix for $350 but no probes, an older model. I would really love an agilent or tektronix scope. However, i am a lowly student that can't afford such extravagence. But I will look to see if i can get some reviews on ebay/amazon. Thank you

While for work, even if it was my money for my business I would pick name brands, but for my personal use, I will be getting a similar unit "off the boat"... I am sure they are fine.

The brand names are getting some pretty good prices - 3-5 x your numbers above though ( http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70230720 ) - there is acually a 4 Ch, 200MHz w 8 Ch digital ( mixed signal) for about $4K - I really can not see too many cases where you would need more then that. I work in power - the probes are actually the expensive parts.

When I read the reviews of the low end models there seemed to be a good number of issues with poorly written ( translated) manuals, software in Chinese - etc. Usually fixable, but a pain.

I would recommend carefully considering the specifications and features of both oscilloscopes before making a decision. It is important to understand your specific needs and budget when choosing equipment for scientific research or experimentation.

In terms of quality, both ATTEN and OWON are reputable brands in the field of oscilloscopes and have been used by many scientists and engineers. However, it is always wise to read reviews and gather feedback from other users to get a better understanding of the reliability and durability of these specific models.

Some factors to consider when comparing these two oscilloscopes may include the frequency range, sampling rate, display size, and price. While the ATTEN ADS1102CAL may have a lower price point, it also has a lower frequency range and smaller display compared to the OWON SDS7102. On the other hand, the OWON model has a higher sampling rate and a larger display, but also comes at a higher price.

Ultimately, the best choice will depend on your specific needs and budget. It may also be helpful to consult with colleagues or experts in the field for their recommendations and experiences with these brands. Investing in a quality oscilloscope is important for accurate and reliable data analysis, so it is important to carefully consider all factors before making a decision.

Related to Oscilloscope Quality: ATTEN ADS1102CAL vs OWON SDS7102

What are the main differences between the ATTEN ADS1102CAL and OWON SDS7102 oscilloscopes?

The ATTEN ADS1102CAL and OWON SDS7102 are both 100MHz digital oscilloscopes with similar features, but there are a few key differences. The ATTEN ADS1102CAL has a higher sample rate of 1GS/s compared to the OWON SDS7102's 500MS/s. The ATTEN also has a larger display screen at 7 inches, while the OWON has a 8-inch screen. Additionally, the ATTEN has a built-in signal generator, while the OWON does not.

Which oscilloscope has better accuracy and precision?

Both the ATTEN ADS1102CAL and OWON SDS7102 have similar accuracy and precision, with a vertical resolution of 8 bits and a time base accuracy of ±50ppm. However, the ATTEN has a higher waveform capture rate, which can result in more accurate and precise measurements in fast-changing signals.

Which oscilloscope has a better user interface?

The user interface of an oscilloscope is a matter of personal preference, but the OWON SDS7102 has a more modern and user-friendly interface compared to the ATTEN ADS1102CAL. The OWON also has a touch screen display, making it easier to navigate and adjust settings.

What types of triggering options do these oscilloscopes have?

Both the ATTEN ADS1102CAL and OWON SDS7102 have a variety of triggering options, including edge, pulse, video, and slope triggers. The OWON also has advanced triggering options such as pattern and runt triggers, which may be useful for more complex signal analysis.

Are there any additional features that one oscilloscope has over the other?

While the ATTEN ADS1102CAL and OWON SDS7102 have similar features, there are a few additional features that one may have over the other. For example, the ATTEN has a built-in frequency counter, while the OWON has a built-in digital voltmeter. Additionally, the OWON has a LAN port for remote access, which the ATTEN does not have.