Oscillatory motion? Does this spring have to do with oscillatory motio

In summary: If you want to measure the time of oscillatory motion, you need to pull the weight hanging on the spring to set it into motion. You need a stopwatch to measure the time of a few periods. The weight moves up and down, the time period is the time elapsed between two subsequent highest or (lowest) positions. Measure at least 5 periods.
boii
Hi, i started to learn oscillatory motion today, and my teacher didn't teach us very well...and he told us that we were to conduct a oscillatory motion lab. So, me and a couple of other friends conducted a spring not moving that was hanged vertically and just calculated the displacement of the spring every time we added weights on it. we then used the formula of F = -KX, to find the spring constant. And i was wondering if this still counted as a oscillatory motion? I would say no since it's not moving, but my teacher seems legitimately enough to believe it counts as a oscillatory motion lab. I don't see how i can describe how this spring has a connection to oscillatory motion. So do you think it has a connection to oscillatory motion?

My data were

Mass (g)
1. 50
2. 60
3. 70
4. 80
5. 90
6. 100

Distance the spring stretched (cm)
1. 9.5
2. 10.4
3. 11.6
4. 12.5
5. 13.8
6. 14.5

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That experiment was about spring force, to show that the force exerted by a stretched spring, is proportional to the change of length of the spring. And it can be shown that such force involves oscillatory motion. Just pull a bit the mass hanging at the end of the spring and it will do oscillation about the previous equilibrium point.

ehild

Also, the frequency of the oscillation can be calculated from the formula $$f=\frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}},$$ where k is the spring constant and m is the attached mass.

ehild said:
That experiment was about spring force, to show that the force exerted by a stretched spring, is proportional to the change of length of the spring. And it can be shown that such force involves oscillatory motion. Just pull a bit the mass hanging at the end of the spring and it will do oscillation about the previous equilibrium point.

ehild

So if I don't pull it and let it hanging it doesn't count as oscillatory motion?

When the spring and the mass hanged onto it are steady, it is not oscillatory motion. It is not motion at all.

ehild

ehild said:
When the spring and the mass hanged onto it are steady, it is not oscillatory motion. It is not motion at all.

ehild

So if I was to redo my lab. And I would have to pull the spring how would I measure the time?

Pull the weight hanging on the spring to set it into motion. You need a stopwatch to measure the time of a few periods. The weight moves up and down, the time period is the time elapsed between two subsequent highest or (lowest) positions. Measure at least 5 periods.

ehild

Related to Oscillatory motion? Does this spring have to do with oscillatory motio

1. What is oscillatory motion?

Oscillatory motion is a type of motion in which an object moves back and forth repeatedly around a central point or equilibrium position.

2. What are some examples of oscillatory motion?

Some common examples of oscillatory motion include a pendulum swinging, a mass-spring system, and a vibrating guitar string.

3. How does the spring affect oscillatory motion?

A spring can play a crucial role in oscillatory motion by providing a restoring force that brings the object back to its equilibrium position after it has been displaced. This force allows the object to continue oscillating back and forth.

4. Can oscillatory motion be described mathematically?

Yes, oscillatory motion can be described using mathematical equations such as the simple harmonic motion equation, which relates the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object in oscillatory motion.

5. What factors affect the frequency of oscillatory motion?

The frequency of oscillatory motion is affected by factors such as the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude of the oscillations. The frequency can also be altered by changing the length of the pendulum or the tension in the string.