Oscillatory circuit with diode

In summary, the circuit should oscillate with its natural frequency in absence of any external agent, but if a diode is included it will not oscillate for more than one half cycle. The diode causes the energy to dissipate very rapidly.
Rabin upadhaya
The LC circuit should oscillate with its natural frequency in absence of any external agent and the energy is alternatively converted from electrical to magnetic.Suppose that i include a diode in this circuit that acts as a switch.Now the capacitor is completely discharged while diode in on state.
The oscillation stops after one cycle because the diode is not a two way conduction switch.During the previous process the capacitor gets reverse charged.
Can this reverse charging process be useful in any circuit?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rabin upadhaya said:
The LC circuit should oscillate with its natural frequency in absence of any external agent and the energy is alternatively converted from electrical to magnetic.Suppose that i include a diode in this circuit that acts as a switch.Now the capacitor is completely discharged while diode in on state.
The oscillation stops after one cycle because the diode is not a two way conduction switch.During the previous process the capacitor gets reverse charged.
Can this reverse charging process be useful in any circuit?

Welcome to the PF.

Could you please post a circuit diagram? It is hard to understand your question without more information. Thank you.

Sorry i do not have a circuit diagram for this but i consider using any of the oscillator circuit with a diode.

Rabin upadhaya said:
Sorry i do not have a circuit diagram for this but i consider using any of the oscillator circuit with a diode.

draw a diagram in MSPaint or some other graphics prog and post it here
That way we can see clearly what you are trying to work out
As Berkeman said, you are really not supplying enough info for anyone to give you a decent answer

cheers
Dave

I have tried to draw the circuit please check the attachment.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 423
Last edited by a moderator:
That is useful in that it's the basis for many circuits. If you have two of these, but one with the diode reversed, you will be able to generate both positive and negative voltage supplies.

As the load typically draws off charge, the capacitor discharges a bit, and can then be topped up on later cycles.

If you put a diode in the circuit of an LC resonator, it will not 'oscillate' for more than one half cycle. The diode will cause the energy to dissipate very rapidly bu introducing a very low R during its 'on' interval.
PS That diagram you drew is an RC and not an LC circuit. Which did you mean?

This is an LC circuit.

Thank you for your generous help.

Related to Oscillatory circuit with diode

1. What is an oscillatory circuit with diode?

An oscillatory circuit with diode is an electronic circuit that produces an oscillating output voltage or current using a diode as a key component. It is a type of electronic oscillator that generates a continuous, repeating waveform at a specific frequency.

2. How does an oscillatory circuit with diode work?

An oscillatory circuit with diode works by using the properties of the diode to create a feedback loop that amplifies and sustains an oscillating signal. The diode acts as a switch, allowing current to flow in one direction but not the other, and this action is used to produce the oscillations.

3. What is the purpose of a diode in an oscillatory circuit?

The diode in an oscillatory circuit serves as a nonlinear element that helps to shape the oscillating signal. It allows current to flow in one direction while blocking it in the other, creating the necessary feedback loop for sustained oscillations.

4. What are the applications of an oscillatory circuit with diode?

An oscillatory circuit with diode has many applications in electronics, such as in radio frequency (RF) transmitters, voltage-controlled oscillators, and clock circuits. It is also used in electronic musical instruments, signal generators, and other devices that require a stable and precise oscillating signal.

5. How can I design an oscillatory circuit with diode?

The design of an oscillatory circuit with diode requires a thorough understanding of circuit theory and the properties of diodes. It involves choosing the appropriate components, such as resistors and capacitors, and calculating their values based on the desired oscillating frequency. Simulation software can also be used to test and optimize the circuit design before building it.