Oscillations of a ruler on a cylinder

In summary: The torque equation is easier to work with because it doesn't involve energy.In summary, the ruler oscillates with a period of 2π divided by the oscillation frequency.
benf.stokes

Homework Statement

You have ruler of length L and thickness 2d resting, in equilibrium , on a cylindrical body of radius r. Slightly unbalancing the ruler, and existing attrition between the surfaces prove that the ruler has a oscillatory motion of period:
[tex] T = 2\cdot \pi\cdot \sqrt{\frac{L^2}{12\cdot g\cdot (r-d)}} [/tex]

SemTtulo.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]T=\frac{2\cdot \pi}{\omega}[/tex]

[tex]\tau= F\cdot r\cdot \sin(\varphi)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't wrap my mind about the idea that the ruler won't immediately begin to fall. I can't figure out why the ruler would do a simple harmonic motion in the first place.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi benf.stokes! :smile:
benf.stokes said:
… I can't wrap my mind about the idea that the ruler won't immediately begin to fall. I can't figure out why the ruler would do a simple harmonic motion in the first place.

If the ruler doesn't slip, then when it tilts to the right, its centre of mass will be on the left of the point of contact. :wink:

Hi tiny-tim :smile:. Thanks for the help
I think I figured it out but I have three assumptions I'm not completely happy about and would like you to see if they're valid:

Initially the center of mass of the ruler is at position [tex]y_{c} = R+d[/tex] and after the ruler is displaced the center of mass of the ruler is at

[tex]y_{c'}=R\cdot \varphi\cdot \sin(\varphi)+(R+d)\cdot \cos(\varphi)[/tex]

(I'm not really sure about the: [tex]R\cdot \varphi\cdot \sin(\varphi)[/tex], sometimes I think it should be [tex](R+d)\cdot \varphi\cdot \sin(\varphi)[/tex] but if I do so I don't obtain the correct result any more, is this right?).

The frictional force in this case does no work since it's only role is to prevent slipping (I'm I correct?) and so the total energy of the ruler is conserved. And so:

[tex]m\cdot g\cdot y_{c}= m\cdot g\cdot y_{c'}+\frac{1}{2}\cdot I\cdot \omega^2[/tex]
(This is my last uncertainty: is it ok to not take into account the velocity of the center of mass of the ruler?)

Then and using the small angle approximation :
[tex]\sin(\varphi)\approx \varphi \ and \ \cos(\varphi)\approx\ 1-\frac{\varphi^2}{2}[/tex]

[tex]m\cdot g\cdot (R-d)\cdot \frac{\varphi^2}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\cdot I\cdot (\frac{d\varphi}{dt})^2=0[/tex]

And derivating this expression with respect to time yields:

[tex]m\cdot g\cdot (R-d)\cdot \varphi\cdot \frac{d\varphi}{dt}+I\cdot \frac{d^2\varphi}{dt^2}\cdot \frac{d\varphi}{dt}=0[/tex]

Which after some algebric manipulation yields:

[tex]\frac{m\cdot g\cdot (R-d)}{I}\cdot \varphi + \frac{d^2\varphi}{dt^2}=0[/tex]

Which is the equation for SHM with the desired period.

Note:
[tex]I_{ruler}=\frac{1}{12}\cdot m\cdot l^2[/tex]

Last edited:
benf.stokes said:
Hi tiny-tim.
I think I figured it out but I have three assumptions I'm not completely happy about and would like you to see if they're valid:

Initially the center of mass of the ruler is at position [tex]y_{c} = R+d[/tex] and after the ruler is displaced the center of mass of the ruler is at

[tex]y_{c'}=R\cdot \varphi\cdot \sin(\varphi)+(R+d)\cdot \cos(\varphi)[/tex]
(I'm not really sure about the:
[tex]R\cdot \varphi\cdot \sin(\varphi)[/tex], sometimes I think it should be [tex](R+d)\cdot \varphi\cdot \sin(\varphi)[/tex] but if I do so I don't obtain the correct result any more).

The frictional force in this case does no work since it's only role is to prevent slipping (I'm I correct?) and so the total energy of the ruler is conserved. And so:

[tex]m\cdot g\cdot y_{c}= m\cdot g\cdot y_{c'}+\frac{1}{2}\cdot I\cdot \omega^2[/tex]
(This is my last uncertainty: is it ok to not take into account the velocity of the center of mass of the ruler?)

Then and using the small angle approximation :
[tex]\sin(\varphi)\approx \varphi \ and \ \cos(\varphi)\approx\ 1-\frac{\varphi^2}{2}[/tex]

[tex]m\cdot g\cdot (R-d)\cdot \frac{\varphi^2}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\cdot (\frac{d\varphi}{dt})^2=0[/tex]

The small angle approximation assumes that the ruler's center of mass moves only slightly, so neglecting the KE associated with the center of mass is fine (Though a more rigorous analysis is required to prove this point)

If you want to work around the pitfall of neglecting the KE of the CoM, look at the forces and torques acting on the center of mass of the ruler instead, there the approximations should be a bit more straightforward.

Hi benf.stokes! :smile:

(have a phi: φ :wink:)
benf.stokes said:
(I'm not really sure about the:
[tex]R\cdot \varphi\cdot \sin(\varphi)[/tex], sometimes I think it should be [tex](R+d)\cdot \varphi\cdot \sin(\varphi)[/tex] but if I do so I don't obtain the correct result any more).

it's definitely Rφsinφ, not (R + d)φsinφ, because the distance along the bottom of the ruler is Rφ (because it's rolling).
The frictional force in this case does no work since it's only role is to prevent slipping (I'm I correct?) and so the total energy of the ruler is conserved.

That's absolutely right :smile:, but

why use energy, with its awkward squared terms (and yes, you do need the c.o.m. KE also), when you can use the much simpler torque equation? :wink:

Thanks. I tried to use a simple torque equation first but I just couldn't find an appropriate axis

When you're dealing with rotating bodies, general rule is to use either the centre of mass or the instantaneous centre of rotation …

and in this case the latter will eliminate the unknown reaction force. :wink:

But won't the instantaneous center of rotation introduce a new component in the moment of inertia?

You'll need to use the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia … is that what you meant?

Yes. I tried that approach first but it the parallel axis theorem introduced an additional term I couldn't solve.

Last edited:
Wait, I think I got it:

The moment of inertia about the new axis will be:

[tex]I_{ruler'}=\frac{1}{12}\cdot m\cdot l^2+m\cdot (R\cdot \varphi\cdot \sin(\varphi))^2[/tex]

but since where're using the small angle approximation the second part will be very small compared to the first term?

If this is so the torque equation makes complete sense and yields the desired result

(just finished watching the latest Dr Who :biggrin:)

benf.stokes said:
… since where're using the small angle approximation the second part will be very small compared to the first term?

That's right! :smile:

(except technically you left out an md2, but that will also be very small unless it's a horribly thick ruler :wink:)

Yupi :cool: .Thanks you very much tiny-tim. Very helpful :smile:

Related to Oscillations of a ruler on a cylinder

1. What factors affect the oscillations of a ruler on a cylinder?

The oscillations of a ruler on a cylinder are affected by several factors such as the length and mass of the ruler, the radius and material of the cylinder, and the force applied to the ruler.

2. How does the length of the ruler affect its oscillations on a cylinder?

The longer the ruler, the longer the period of oscillation will be. This is because a longer ruler has a larger moment of inertia, making it harder to rotate and resulting in a slower oscillation.

3. Why does the mass of the ruler matter in its oscillations on a cylinder?

The mass of the ruler affects its moment of inertia, which in turn affects its period of oscillation. A heavier ruler will have a larger moment of inertia and a longer period of oscillation compared to a lighter ruler.

4. How does the radius of the cylinder impact the oscillations of the ruler?

The radius of the cylinder affects the curvature of the surface on which the ruler is oscillating. A larger radius will result in a smoother surface, allowing for longer and more consistent oscillations.

5. Can the force applied to the ruler affect its oscillations on a cylinder?

Yes, the force applied to the ruler can affect its period of oscillation. A larger force will result in a faster oscillation, while a smaller force will result in a slower oscillation.