Oscillations of a complicated spring block system

In summary, the problem involves a 4kg block attached to a spring (S1) and a rod (OA) of length 4m. The rod is hinged at one end and has another spring (S2) attached at the midpoint. The spring constants for both springs are given as k=10N/m. The goal is to calculate the angular frequency of oscillations for the mass. The forces acting on the block include its weight, the normal force, and the force from spring S1. The forces acting on the rod include the force from spring S2 and the torque due to the weight of the block and the force from spring S1. By setting up the equations of motion and solving for the angular frequency,
Abhishekdas

Homework Statement

A 4kg block M in horizontal plane is attached to a sprig S1 fixed to a light rod OA of length 4m as shown in diagram(refer to attachement). The other end O of the rod is hinged to rotate in the plane about the vertical axis passing through it. A spring S2 is fixed to the mid point B of the rod. If the spring constants of both springs are k=10N/m then calculate the angular frequency of oscillations of the mass.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly i am a little confused about the plane of the rod...If the axis is vertical i am assuming it is in the horizontal plane...Anyway i don't think it has any effect on the sum...

Nw coming to my attempt...I didnt go too far...Correct me wherever i am wrong...

Since in these cases we assume the displacement to be very small i am assuming that the diaplacement of the block and the extensions of the springs to be parallel (ie i am neglecting the curve of the arc)...
Let extensions of :
Spring S1 be x1 and that of spring S2 be x2...and let displacement of block from mean position be x...

Then x= (x1)+2*(x2)...Hope i am correct till this...

What to do after this ? because of the rod i am having difficulty in finding the force on the block...

I feel it should be kx1...But then i don't have any other relation to get x1 or x2...

How to go about furthur? Please help...

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and for sharing your thoughts and progress so far. Let me try to help you with the problem.

Firstly, you are correct in assuming that the plane of the rod is in the horizontal plane. This means that the motion of the block will also be in the horizontal plane.

Now, let's look at the forces acting on the block. We have the weight of the block acting downwards, and the normal force from the surface acting upwards. Since the block is attached to the spring S1, there will be a force from the spring acting on the block in the direction of the displacement (x). This force can be calculated using Hooke's Law, F = -kx, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement.

Now, let's consider the forces acting on the rod. At point B, the spring S2 is attached, which will exert a force on the rod in the direction of the displacement (x2). Similarly, at point A, the rod is hinged and can rotate about the vertical axis. This means that there will be a torque acting on the rod due to the weight of the block and the force from the spring S1. This torque can be calculated using T = F*d, where F is the net force acting on the rod and d is the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force.

Using these forces and torques, we can set up the equations of motion for the system and solve for the angular frequency of oscillations.

I hope this helps you in solving the problem. Let me know if you need any further clarification or assistance.

Related to Oscillations of a complicated spring block system

1. What is an oscillation?

An oscillation is a repetitive back-and-forth motion around a central point or equilibrium position. It can be described by parameters such as amplitude, frequency, and period.

2. What is a complicated spring block system?

A complicated spring block system is a physical system consisting of a spring or multiple springs connected to one or more blocks. The blocks can move in a variety of directions and are subject to the restoring force of the springs.

3. How does the mass of the block affect the oscillations of the system?

The mass of the block affects the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations. A heavier block will have a larger amplitude and a lower frequency, while a lighter block will have a smaller amplitude and a higher frequency.

4. What factors can affect the oscillations of a complicated spring block system?

Several factors can affect the oscillations of a complicated spring block system, including the mass of the blocks, the stiffness of the springs, and the presence of any external forces or damping. The initial conditions, such as the initial displacement and velocity, also play a role in the oscillations.

5. How do you calculate the period of oscillation for a complicated spring block system?

The period of oscillation for a complicated spring block system can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the block, and k is the spring constant. This equation assumes that there is no external force or damping present in the system.