Oscillations in an LRC Circuit

In summary, the oscillation frequency of the circuit is 8490 Hz, it will take 3.5 seconds for the amplitude to decay to 10% of its original value, and the damping factor is ##\frac{R}{2L}##.
Yosty22

Homework Statement

(image attached)

For the circuit of Fig.30.17 in the textbook, let C = 13.0nF , L = 27.0mH , and R = 80.0Ω .

A). Calculate the oscillation frequency of the circuit once the capacitor has been charged and the switch has been connected to point a

B). How long will it take for the amplitude of the oscillation to decay to 10.0% of its original value?

C). What value of R would result in a critically damped circuit?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get part A and part C, but I am having a really hard time with B. For A, i got 8490 Hz and for C i got 2880 Ohms. I was able to understand those very well, but I cannot figure out B at all. I have no idea how to relate any of this information to the amplitude.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• Circuit Diagram.jpg
    Circuit Diagram.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,143
Physics news on Phys.org
Investigate the Q of the circuit, and what Q represents.

I'm not sure, but I am still lost. My professor told me the equation

i=I_0e^-((R/L)t)

could be useful, but I cannot see how at all. I am really lost on this.

Yosty22 said:
I'm not sure, but I am still lost. My professor told me the equation

i=I_0e^-((R/L)t)

could be useful, but I cannot see how at all. I am really lost on this.

Yes, that equation could help as it describes the decay of the maximum current in the oscillations due to energy dissipation in the resistance. It's the "envelope" of the sinusoidal current waveform.

I was thinking of using the Q of the circuit to find the number of cycles until the energy loss brought the amplitude down to the desired level. But if you can make use of the given equation, go for it!
But I think you'll find that the damping factor should be ##\frac{R}{2L}##.

If you look in your text, or notes, you should find the solution for the underdamped case to be a sinusoid multiplied by a decaying exponential...

The formula for [itex]i(t)[/itex] is valid for [itex]L=0[/itex] only. Here you need to derive the differential equation for the Circuit from Kirchhoff's Laws and then solve for it. As already said, this means to analyze how [itex]Q[/itex] on one capacitor plate behaves with time.

vanhees71 said:
The formula for [itex]i(t)[/itex] is valid for [itex]L=0[/itex] only. Here you need to derive the differential equation for the Circuit from Kirchhoff's Laws and then solve for it. As already said, this means to analyze how [itex]Q[/itex] on one capacitor plate behaves with time.

If i(t) is interpreted as the envelope of the decaying sinusoidal current, then it should apply. Note that Io here is not the actual current at t=0 which, due to the presence of the inductor, will be zero. It's a current magnitude that you'd find if the initial energy was all in the inductor rather than in the capacitor.

If you solve the differential equation for this underdamped case it will have the form:
$$I(t) = I_o e^{-\alpha t} sin(ω_d t)$$
where ##I_o## and ##\alpha## depend upon the component values. It's that leading exponential term and constant that define the envelope. I suspect that this was the OP's professor's intention when suggesting that equation.

Related to Oscillations in an LRC Circuit

1. What is an LRC circuit?

An LRC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains three components: an inductor (L), a resistor (R), and a capacitor (C). The components are connected in a loop or series, and the circuit is used to generate oscillations or alternating current.

2. What causes oscillations in an LRC circuit?

Oscillations in an LRC circuit are caused by the interaction between the inductor, resistor, and capacitor. The inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, while the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field. The resistor dissipates energy in the form of heat. When the energy is transferred back and forth between the inductor and capacitor, it creates oscillations.

3. How do the values of L, R, and C affect the oscillations?

The values of L, R, and C can affect the frequency, amplitude, and damping of the oscillations. A larger inductance (L) or capacitance (C) will result in a lower frequency and a slower rate of energy transfer. A larger resistance (R) will result in a faster rate of energy dissipation, leading to a shorter oscillation period and a smaller amplitude.

4. What is resonance in an LRC circuit?

Resonance in an LRC circuit occurs when the frequency of the oscillations matches the circuit's natural frequency. This results in a buildup of energy and a sustained oscillation at a constant amplitude. Resonance is important in many applications such as radio receivers and musical instruments.

5. How can the oscillations in an LRC circuit be damped?

Oscillations in an LRC circuit can be damped by increasing the resistance (R) in the circuit. This allows for more energy to be dissipated, resulting in a shorter oscillation period and a smaller amplitude. Damping is important in preventing unwanted oscillations and maintaining stability in electronic circuits.