Oscillation frequency of electrons in atoms (Bohr model)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force and frequency of a hydrogen atom using equations involving the constants e0, r, and the mass of the atom. The individual tried plugging in values for these variables and came up with a very large number for the force and frequency. They also questioned whether they should be using units in terms of meters or nanometers and whether the mass value they used was correct. They expressed the need to be sure of their answer before submitting it.
Brianrofl

Homework Statement

Here is a picture: http://puu.sh/bZtAu/82bdc201bc.png

Homework Equations

For force,

F = (Ze^2)/4 * pi * e0 * R^3) * r

f = sqrt(k/m) * 1/2pi

Where e0 = vacuum permeability, 8.854 x 10^-12m
and r = radius of hydrogen atom, 5.3 x 10^-11m

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried just plugging in values,

For the first one, Ze = 1, right? Edit: I had an epiphany. Is e the constant (1.6 x 10^-19)? If so that makes a lot more sense. I tried it, still got the wrong answer though.

So:

1/(4pi(8.854x10^-12)(.053x10^-9)^3) * (5.3 x 10^-11) = A very large number F.

Then, I use that value of F to plug into the second equation,

f = sqrt(F/m) * 1/(2pi) and I get an extremely large number. Note that for m I use 9.31 x 10^-31 kg -- is that right, or should I be using .511MeV/c^2?

Should I be using units in terms of meters or nanometers?

What kind of numbers should I be looking for? Will the frequency be extremely large? I don't have many tries left so I'd like to be sure my answer is right before submitting again. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I understand a bit more now -- I know what z and Z stand for, and to plug 1.44 for e^2/4pi.

Related to Oscillation frequency of electrons in atoms (Bohr model)

1. What is the Bohr model and how does it explain oscillation frequency of electrons in atoms?

The Bohr model is a simplified representation of the structure of an atom, proposed by Danish scientist Niels Bohr in 1913. It proposes that electrons orbit the nucleus in fixed energy levels or shells, and can only move between these energy levels by absorbing or emitting specific amounts of energy. This explains the oscillation frequency of electrons in atoms, as the frequency is determined by the energy difference between the levels.

2. How is the oscillation frequency of electrons related to the energy of an atom?

The oscillation frequency of electrons is directly related to the energy of an atom. As mentioned in the previous answer, the frequency is determined by the energy difference between the electron's energy levels. Therefore, the higher the energy of the atom, the higher the frequency of oscillation of its electrons.

3. Can the oscillation frequency of electrons in an atom be changed?

Yes, the oscillation frequency of electrons in an atom can be changed. This can be achieved by either adding or removing energy from the atom, causing the electrons to move to different energy levels and thus changing their oscillation frequency.

4. How does the oscillation frequency of electrons affect the properties of an atom?

The oscillation frequency of electrons plays a crucial role in determining the properties of an atom. It determines the atom's energy, which in turn affects its chemical reactivity, stability, and other physical properties. Additionally, the frequency of oscillation also determines the wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation emitted or absorbed by the atom.

5. Is the Bohr model still relevant in modern atomic theory?

The Bohr model is considered a simplified version of atomic theory and has been superseded by more advanced models such as the quantum mechanical model. However, it is still relevant in understanding the basic concepts of atomic structure, and its principles are still used in certain applications, such as predicting the spectral lines of atoms.