Oscillating Magnetic Field Heating up blood

In summary: At 10uT [ten microTesla], (which is less than Earth's magnetic field), I doubt it will have any measurable heating effect ... At 10uT [ten microTesla], (which is less than Earth's magnetic field), I doubt it will have any measurable heating effect ...
VVS
Hi,

I want to measure the effect of oscillating magnetic fields on oxidative stress in erythrocytes.
I will use frequencies ranging from 0Hz (i.e DC) up to 1MHz the field strength will be 10uT.
But I am not sure if I can do this. Wouldn't the oscillating magnetic field heat up the sample?
Or does that only happen with waves in the Microwave region?
How can I calculate the rise in temperature?

thanks
VVS

Physics news on Phys.org
VVS said:
... the field strength will be 10uT... Wouldn't the oscillating magnetic field heat up the sample?

At 10uT [ten microTesla], (which is less than Earth's magnetic field), I doubt it will have any measurable heating effect ...

nih.gov said:
Magnetohydrodynamics of blood flow ...
10-T magnetic field changes the vascular pressure in a model of the human vasculature by less than 0.2%.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2255234

Heat in the electromagnets themselves (due to the current passing through them) could be transferred to the blood though.The electric fields necessary to effect RBCs have to be large too ... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13222
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8294130

Last edited:
VVS said:
I want to measure the effect of oscillating magnetic fields on oxidative stress in erythrocytes.
I will use frequencies ranging from 0Hz (i.e DC) up to 1MHz the field strength will be 10uT.
But I am not sure if I can do this. Wouldn't the oscillating magnetic field heat up the sample?
Or does that only happen with waves in the Microwave region?
How can I calculate the rise in temperature?
There will definitely be heating, although at the low frequencies you are using it should not be too much. However, I would recommend that you control the temperature of your samples so that they all have identical temperature. Otherwise you will be measuring thermal stress in combination with oxidative stress. If you control the temperature then calculating it will be irrelevant.

B0b-A said:
At 10uT [ten microTesla], (which is less than Earth's magnetic field), I doubt it will have any measurable heating effect ...
10 uT is within the range of field strength generated by modern RF coils in MRI. They definitely produce measurable heating. The heating effect is more related to the frequency than the field strength. Specifically, the heating is roughly proportional to the square of the frequency, so at these low frequencies it should be low.

Thanks for everybody's answers. I already calculated the power dissipated by the resistance of the coil and the corresponding heat created. This is negligible. However after your answers I will have to calculate the heat created by the magnetic and the induced electric field. For that I guess I will have to use the Poynting Vector. Are oscillating magnetic fields and electric fields in inductors electromagnetic waves?
Thanks again

DaleSpam said:
10 uT is within the range of field strength generated by modern RF coils in MRI. They definitely produce measurable heating. The heating effect is more related to the frequency than the field strength. Specifically, the heating is roughly proportional to the square of the frequency, so at these low frequencies it should be low.

no that's VERY tiny compared to a MRI unit :)

from wiki and other places ...
MRI requires a magnetic field that is both strong and uniform. The field strength of the magnet is measured in tesla – and while the majority of systems operate at 1.5T, commercial systems are available between 0.2T–7T.

cheers
Dave

The main magnetic field strength is on the order of 1 T. The RF field strength is on the order of 10 uT. They are different fields.

yes but we are not talking about RF field strength :wink:

it was the magnetic field strength that was being asked about

davenn said:
yes but we are not talking about RF field strength :wink:

it was the magnetic field strength that was being asked about
Yes, we are talking about the RF field strength. The RF field in a MRI system is an oscillating magnetic field (see the title of the thread). The OP is not discussing the main magnetic field strength which does not oscillate. The main field is completely irrelevant to the discussion here.

Even though it is large, the main magnetic field does not cause any significant heating because it does not oscillate. Even though it is small, the RF magnetic field does cause significant heating precisely because it oscillates. The SAR (the measure of heating) is a significant safety concern for the RF system, not the main field. The danger of the main field is due to projectiles and other ferromagnetic forces, not heating.

In a MRI system a typical RF pulse causes a 180° precession in 1 ms. The gyromagnetic ratio for hydrogen is 42.58 MHz/T. That works out to 11.7 uT for that typical RF pulse. If you look at the FDA guidelines and the vendor safety sheets you can see that all of the SAR constraints are related to that ~10 uT RF magnetic field, not the ~3 T main magnetic field.

With all due respect, davenn, I do research and design of new MRI systems and techniques for a living.

Last edited:

Related to Oscillating Magnetic Field Heating up blood

1. How does oscillating magnetic field heating work?

Oscillating magnetic field heating is a process in which a magnetic field rapidly changes direction, causing molecules in a substance (such as blood) to vibrate and generate heat. This heat is produced through friction between the molecules and can increase the temperature of the substance.

2. Is oscillating magnetic field heating safe for the body?

Oscillating magnetic field heating has been extensively studied and has been found to be safe for the body. The magnetic fields used in this process are non-ionizing, meaning they do not have enough energy to damage cells or DNA. However, caution should be taken when using high-powered magnetic fields, as they can potentially cause harm.

3. What are the potential medical applications of oscillating magnetic field heating?

Oscillating magnetic field heating has a wide range of potential medical applications, including treating cancer by heating and destroying tumor cells, aiding in drug delivery by increasing blood flow to the targeted area, and promoting tissue repair by stimulating the body's natural healing processes.

4. Can oscillating magnetic field heating be used to treat deep tissue injuries?

Yes, oscillating magnetic field heating can penetrate deep into tissues, making it an effective treatment for deep tissue injuries. The heat generated can increase blood flow to the injured area, promoting healing and reducing pain and inflammation.

5. Are there any risks associated with using oscillating magnetic field heating?

As with any medical treatment, there are some risks associated with using oscillating magnetic field heating. These include potential burns or skin irritation if the treatment is not used properly, as well as the risk of interfering with electronic medical devices such as pacemakers. It is important to consult with a medical professional before using this treatment.