Orthogonality condition for Airy functions

In summary, the Airy functions, which are solutions to the differential equation y''-xy=0, can be considered orthogonal over a given interval. Their orthogonality condition can be expressed as \int_a^b x y_1(x) y_2(x)\,dx, where a and b are zeroes of the Airy functions or their derivatives. However, x = 0 is not a zero. This information is useful for calculating the orthogonality relation of the wavefunction for a particle trapped in a quantum well with infinite walls and gravity.
skujesco2014
Hi, all. I'll be brief. Can Airy functions [those who solve the differential equation y''-xy=0] be considered orthogonal over some interval? If so, what is their orthogonality condition? Given that the Airy functions have a representation in terms of Bessel functions, I would be inclined to think that the answer is yes; however, is there a compact form for their orthogonality condition? I've looked everywhere without success. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
skujesco2014 said:
Hi, all. I'll be brief. Can Airy functions [those who solve the differential equation y''-xy=0] be considered orthogonal over some interval? If so, what is their orthogonality condition? Given that the Airy functions have a representation in terms of Bessel functions, I would be inclined to think that the answer is yes; however, is there a compact form for their orthogonality condition? I've looked everywhere without success. Thanks.

I think you want to look at [tex]
y'' = \lambda x y,[/tex] whose solutions are Airy functions of [itex]r = \lambda^{1/3}x[/itex], and the eigenfunctions will be orthogonal with respect to [tex]
\int_a^b x y_1(x) y_2(x)\,dx.
[/tex] where [itex]\lambda^{1/3}a[/itex] and [itex]\lambda^{1/3}b[/itex] should be zeroes of Airy functions or their derivatives. Unhelpfully [itex]x = 0[/itex] is not a such a zero.

Thanks a lot. I'll look it up. I'm working in the problem of a particle trapped in quantum well with infinite walls at x=0 and x=H>0 within which we have gravity, i.e., V = mgy, but I need the orthogonality relation of the wavefunction for a further calculation.

Related to Orthogonality condition for Airy functions

1. What is the orthogonality condition for Airy functions?

The orthogonality condition for Airy functions states that the integral of the product of two Airy functions, with different arguments, over a certain interval is equal to zero. This interval is typically from negative infinity to positive infinity.

2. How is the orthogonality condition for Airy functions used in scientific research?

The orthogonality condition for Airy functions is used in many areas of scientific research, such as in quantum mechanics, optics, and fluid dynamics. It allows for the mathematical representation of physical phenomena and can be used to solve differential equations and boundary value problems.

3. Can the orthogonality condition for Airy functions be generalized to other types of functions?

Yes, the orthogonality condition for Airy functions can be generalized to other types of functions, such as Bessel functions and Legendre polynomials. These functions also have specific orthogonality conditions that are used in various fields of science and engineering.

4. What is the significance of the orthogonality condition for Airy functions in mathematical analysis?

The orthogonality condition for Airy functions is significant in mathematical analysis because it allows for the decomposition of a function into a series of simpler functions. This can aid in solving complex equations and understanding the behavior of certain phenomena.

5. Are there any practical applications of the orthogonality condition for Airy functions?

Yes, there are many practical applications of the orthogonality condition for Airy functions. For example, it is used in the study of diffraction patterns, the calculation of optical properties of materials, and the analysis of fluid flow in porous media.