Force of friction in circular motion

In summary, the conversation is about finding the coefficient of friction needed to prevent a car from skidding on a banked curve with a radius of 80.0 m. The formula tan(theta)=v^2/Rg is mentioned, but it may not apply to the problem. The suggested approach is to think about the geometry of the situation and draw a diagram of the forces, including the normal force, gravitational force, and friction. The goal is to resolve the forces into their vertical and horizontal components so that the sum of the vertical forces is zero and the sum of the horizontal forces equals the centripetal force needed to keep the car on the curve. Knowing the angle of the curve, theta, will help with this process.
kbrowne29
I'm having trouble with the following problem:
If a curve of radius 80.0 m is perfectly banked for a car moving 70.0 km/hr, what must be the coefficient of friction in order to prevent skidding when the car is moving at 90.0 km/hr.

OK, I know that I need to find the angle of the "perfectly banked" curve first, and I am able to do this. However, what do I do with this angle? It seems that there are too many unknowns.
I know that tan(theta)=v^2/Rg, where r is the radius of the circle. But I'm not sure where to go from here. I would really appreciate any help with this problem. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
damn it i misread the question. sorry.

I don't know about that formula you mentioned -- it may or may not apply to this problem, & I suspect not.

Anyway, applying a formula is not the way to attack a problem. Think about the geometry of the situation, & then draw a diagram of the forces. You have three: the normal force acting perpendicular to the banked surface, the gravitational force acting vertically down, and friction acting on an angle downward and towards the center of curvature (parallel to the road surface).

You want to resolve the normal force and the friction into their vertical and horizontal components, so the sum of the vertical forces (the gravity plus the vertical components of the normal and frictional forces) is zero, and the sum of the horizontal components of the frictional and normal forces equals the centripetal force needed to keep the car moving along that curve. Knowing "theta" allows you to do that.

Start with the drawing. Then do the trig.

1. What is the force of friction in circular motion?

The force of friction in circular motion is the resistance that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and slide or roll against each other. In circular motion, this force acts in the opposite direction of the motion and is caused by the interaction between the surfaces.

2. How is the force of friction related to circular motion?

The force of friction is directly related to circular motion as it is responsible for slowing down or stopping the circular motion. Without friction, the object would continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed.

3. What factors affect the force of friction in circular motion?

The force of friction in circular motion is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the speed of the circular motion. Rougher surfaces, higher force, and higher speed result in a greater force of friction.

4. How can the force of friction in circular motion be reduced?

The force of friction in circular motion can be reduced by using lubricants or by choosing surfaces with lower coefficients of friction. Additionally, reducing the force or speed of the circular motion can also decrease the force of friction.

5. Is the force of friction always present in circular motion?

Yes, the force of friction is always present in circular motion as long as there are surfaces in contact. However, it can be minimized or eliminated by using techniques such as lubrication or reducing the force or speed of the motion.