I have.Voting for PF in SciAm's Top 50 Science Websites?Have you voted yet?

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around voting for PF to be in Scientific American's Top 50 Science Websites. Many members of the forum have voted and some have even encouraged others to vote. There was also a discussion about the comparison between forum content and canned content on other websites. Overall, the consensus was that PF has a lot of valuable and informative content, making it worth voting for.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Have you voted for PF to be in Scientific American's Top 50 Science Websites?

I have.

Cast yer vote here: editors@sciam.com

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah... done.

sure did, and emailed all my friends and family to vote too

Yep, I voted!

galaphile

Yep!

well i don't know what to write ...
if they watch my messege they will make PF down (you know my weak english)

Originally posted by MSI
well i don't know what to write ...
if they watch my messege they will make PF down (you know my weak english)

I voted a while back. When do they announce the winners?

Originally posted by Tom
Have you voted for PF to be in Scientific American's Top 50 Science Websites?

I have.

Cast yer vote here: editors@sciam.com

Let's see --- Tom's logic notes, Tom's QFT --- worth following; and, what else?

Honest vote? No.

Room for improvement? Yes.

Gettin' there? Yes.

Bystander, name 50 Science Websites that are better than PP anf PF.

Thanks to everyone who have voted!

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
Bystander, name 50 Science Websites that are better than PP anf PF.

Thanks to everyone who have voted!

50?! Aw, c'mon, Greg --- SciAm lists only 5 in each category. The point I was making is that comparing canned content sites (SciAm's list) to fora, bulletin boards, usenet groups, etc. is very much like comparing apples to oranges --- the signal:noise aspects are entirely different.

There's good stuff shows up on PF: Siv's post on "(The) Sagan Baloney Detection Kit;" Tom's logic notes; Tom's QFT thread; ta-da, ta-da, ta-da. Where do I spend my time? On PF. Where do I go for solid information? Yahoo or Google. Compare the content of "How do bullets fly?" http://www.nennstiel-ruprecht.de/bullfly/ to that of the PF thread "Spin stabilized." Forum vs. canned content. Free-for-all vs. "formal" presentations.

I wouldn't get too involved in a SciAm PR game --- what you've got going has its own potential to become something entirely different from the things they've noticed and are trying to rate.

1. Why is it important to vote?

Voting is important because it allows citizens to have a say in who governs them and makes decisions on their behalf. It is a fundamental right and responsibility in a democratic society.

2. How do I know if I am registered to vote?

You can check your voter registration status online through your state's election website or by contacting your local election office. You can also check with your state's Department of Motor Vehicles or other government agencies.

3. Can I vote if I am out of the country or living abroad?

It depends on your state's laws. Some states allow citizens living abroad to vote through absentee ballots, while others require them to be physically present in the state to vote. It's important to check with your state's election website for specific guidelines.

4. Can I still vote if I have a disability?

Yes, every polling place is required to be accessible for individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to physically go to a polling place, you can request an absentee ballot or have someone assist you at the polling place.

5. What should I do if I encounter issues while voting?

If you have any issues while voting, such as being turned away at the polling place or experiencing voter intimidation, you can report it to your state's election officials or the Election Protection hotline. It's important to speak up and ensure that your vote is counted.