Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Orthogonal projection

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Hello MHB,
I have hard to prove that AD, I did put on pic the formula for AD and my progress is at bottom.

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Re: orthogonal projection

What is $\vec{u} \cdot \vec{v}$? I object to the notation $\cos(AC)$. You take the cosine of an angle, not the length of a side. Of which angle are you taking the cosine?

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013

What is $\vec{u} \cdot \vec{v}$? I object to the notation $\cos(AC)$. You take the cosine of an angle, not the length of a side. Of which angle are you taking the cosine?
ops i meant \(\displaystyle \cos\theta*AC\) Is my post unclear what I ask for?

Regards,

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

ops i meant \(\displaystyle \cos\theta*AC\) Is my post unclear what I ask for?

Regards,
No, the post is not unclear. I agree that what you're trying to prove is actually true. I was asking a Socratic question. You should write $AC \, \cos(\theta)$, so that's it's crystal clear what is inside the argument of the cosine, and what is not.

So, let me repeat the question: can you write out what $\vec{u} \cdot \vec{v}$ is?

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013

No, the post is not unclear. I agree that what you're trying to prove is actually true. I was asking a Socratic question. You should write $AC \, \cos(\theta)$, so that's it's crystal clear what is inside the argument of the cosine, and what is not.

So, let me repeat the question: can you write out what $\vec{u} \cdot \vec{v}$ is?
\(\displaystyle u*v=|u||v|\cos\theta\)

Regards,

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

\(\displaystyle u*v=|u||v|\cos\theta\)

Regards,
Right. So why don't you use that to simplify the RHS, and see if you get the LHS? Then what could you do?

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013

Right. So why don't you use that to simplify the RHS, and see if you get the LHS? Then what could you do?
Hmm... One quest, could I get to that formula without knowing RHS ( I was more planing to learn how to get to that formula insted of 'memorize' it in exam)

Regards,

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Ah, I see. Well, here's how I would approach it. Start with a vector in the correct direction, $\vec{u}$. Normalize it by dividing by its length: $\vec{u}/|u|$. Now I have a unit vector (that is, a vector of length $1$), in the direction that I want. The goal is to compute $AD$, and multiply my unit vector by this length $AD$. Now, we know that
$$AD=AC \, \cos( \theta).$$
You'd like to write the RHS using the dot product. So, add in whatever is missing. Can you see how to finish?

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013

Ah, I see. Well, here's how I would approach it. Start with a vector in the correct direction, $\vec{u}$. Normalize it by dividing by its length: $\vec{u}/|u|$. Now I have a unit vector (that is, a vector of length $1$), in the direction that I want. The goal is to compute $AD$, and multiply my unit vector by this length $AD$. Now, we know that
$$AD=AC \, \cos( \theta).$$
You'd like to write the RHS using the dot product. So, add in whatever is missing. Can you see how to finish?
those normalize formula I don't understand how we get it but I understand what it is. I understand exemple \(\displaystyle 1=\gamma u\) then \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{u}= \gamma\) that is so far I understand about but how do they do after?

so I got:
\(\displaystyle \frac{|v|cos\theta}{|u|}*u\) then multiplicate both side with |u| and use dot product to write the top as u*v?
is this correct?

Regards

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

those normalize formula I don't understand how we get it but I understand what it is. I understand exemple \(\displaystyle 1=\gamma u\) then \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{u}= \gamma\) that is so far I understand about but how do they do after?

so I got:
\(\displaystyle \frac{|v|cos\theta}{|u|}*u\) then multiplicate both side with |u| and use dot product to write the top as u*v?
is this correct?

Regards
Basically correct, although I wouldn't multiply both sides by $|u|$, but I would multiply the top and bottom by $|u|$. Then you're done.

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013

Basically correct, although I wouldn't multiply both sides by $|u|$, but I would multiply the top and bottom by $|u|$. Then you're done.
Thanks for the help and taking your time! Now I see how you got that formula :) Heh i meant top and bottom (Cool)

Regards,