Original Schrodinger Equation Article in English

In summary: This is a great summary! In summary, the equation is used to calculate the energy of a particle. The equation is K + V = E. The equation is a wave-mechanical statement that the sum of the kinetic and potential energies is just equal to the total energy.
new_986
Hi every one ..
Could anyone provide me a link of original schrodinger equation article in english?? I'll really approciate that

Physics news on Phys.org
this the original schrodinger equation
E = K + V
this equation in opertar
-((h/2π)2/2m)(∂2Ψ(x,t)/∂x2)+V(x,t)Ψ(x,t) = j(h/2π)(∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t)

A description of each variable:

h - Planck's Constant - Usually (h/2π) is called hbar, and has a value of 0.6582*10-15 eV·s
m -mass of the particle being examined.
Ψ - The wave function. This is what is usually being computed using Schroedinger's Equation.
V - This is the potential energy of the described particle.
j - The imaginary number, being equal to √-1.
x - Position
t - Time
thank

would this article form wikipedia do?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger_equation?wasRedirected=true

The original papers were in german, but he did publish an article in english in the same year

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v28/i6/p1049_1

it's available http://www.wepapers.com/Papers/3042/An_Undulatory_Theory_of_the_Mechanics_of_Atoms_and_Molecules_-_Schrodinger and along with many other historical documents here

a discussion of the paper: http://eview.anu.edu.au/cross-sections/vol5/pdf/08.pdf

Thanks dear Badel

No Mr. Deric Boyle it doesn't work Thanks

Dear Mr. unusualname the first link you gave may it work to me but it's not free and i need a free one if it available and thanks

new_986 said:
Dear Mr. unusualname the first link you gave may it work to me but it's not free and i need a free one if it available and thanks

follow the second or third link in my post, one has a flash viewer but the other has a list of papers and you just need to scroll down

Thanks dear

Even looking through journal databases available through my university I had a lot of trouble finding Schrödinger's original papers. I got this recently:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0821835246/?tag=pfamazon01-20
It's a collection of his original papers and several lectures where he explains his reasoning in developing his equaton and derives the energy levels of several problems as well as perturbation theory. It's a fantastic read. Interestingly, the 1926 papers he incorrectly asserts that the wavefunction is to be interpreted as a charge distribution (the last paper, from 1927, defers to Born's correct probability interpretation). He also does not write down the complete time-dependent equation until the 4th paper when he requires it for time-dependent perturbation threory.

Last edited by a moderator:
new986 actually it depends on what project you are working or what research you are doing.So please give us some details :-)

king vitamin said:
Even looking through journal databases available through my university I had a lot of trouble finding Schrödinger's original papers. I got this recently:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0821835246/?tag=pfamazon01-20
It's a collection of his original papers and several lectures where he explains his reasoning in developing his equaton and derives the energy levels of several problems as well as perturbation theory. It's a fantastic read. Interestingly, the 1926 papers he incorrectly asserts that the wavefunction is to be interpreted as a charge distribution (the last paper, from 1927, defers to Born's correct probability interpretation). He also does not write down the complete time-dependent equation until the 4th paper when he requires it for time-dependent perturbation threory.

That's a nice collection with all the papers translated to english. Schrödinger was fluent in english due to english grandmother so the papers are very readable. The (hard to find) four lectures from 1928 given at the Royal Institution are available at this archive site:

http://www.archive.org/details/fourlecturesonwa00schr

king vitamin said:
Schrödinger's original papers. [...] the 1926 papers he incorrectly asserts that the wavefunction is to be interpreted as a charge distribution (the last paper, from 1927, defers to Born's correct probability interpretation).

For a single charged particle, the interpretation of the squared modulus of the wave function as the mean charge density is derivable from the Born interpretation. Thus his assertion was not incorrect.

The interpretation as a charge density breaks down only for multiparticle states (where, unlike charge density, the squared modulus of the wave function lives in 3N-dimensional space) and for neutral particles.

badel hyder said:
this the original schrodinger equation
E = K + V
this equation in opertar
-((h/2π)2/2m)(∂2Ψ(x,t)/∂x2)+V(x,t)Ψ(x,t) = j(h/2π)(∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t)

A description of each variable:

h - Planck's Constant - Usually (h/2π) is called hbar, and has a value of 0.6582*10-15 eV·s
m -mass of the particle being examined.
Ψ - The wave function. This is what is usually being computed using Schroedinger's Equation.
V - This is the potential energy of the described particle.
j - The imaginary number, being equal to √-1.
x - Position
t - Time
thank

Some questions guys.

The clearest description of the equation and its use for beginners is in Schumm book "Deep Down Things". The equation is

-h^2/8pi^2m (d^2/dx^2) [PSI(x)] + V(x) PSI(x) = E PSI(x) which is K + V = E. Why is this energy different from the above? Anyway. The author explained:

"Thus, the Schroedinger equation is just the wave-mechanical statement that the sum of the kinetic and potential energies at any given point is just equal to the total energy - the Schroedinger equation is simply the quantum-mechanical formulation of the energy conservation. From this quantum-mechanical version of energy conservation arises the full set of constraints that prescribe the possible quantum mechanical wave mechanics of the object."

Question. Supposed external energy is added to the system such that the electron is rise to the next orbital releasing photon. Can QM still be used to model it or does one need Quantum Field Theory? How about additional external energy that increase say the molecular rotational or translational speed, is QM still used here or QFT? If QM is no longer used, does it mean that whenever new external energy is added to the system. QM is no longer valid or do you just add the new energy to the kinetic energy component of the Schroedinger equations??

Deric Boyle said:
new986 actually it depends on what project you are working or what research you are doing.So please give us some details :-)

Im doing calculations for ZnS using DFT which is one of ab initio methods but i want write starting from many-electron schrodinger equation, so i need the original paper to use as reference,, thanks

new_986 said:
Im doing calculations for ZnS using DFT which is one of ab initio methods but i want write starting from many-electron schrodinger equation, so i need the original paper to use as reference,, thanks

What are you writing, a thesis? I've read quite a number of those (and written some) that have to do with DFT, but I've never seen one that started quite that far back.
Seems like unnecessary work, frankly. After simply stating the Schrödinger equation and possibly the Born-Oppenheimer approximation so you have the electronic S.E.,
I'd suggest starting with Hartree-Fock and Kohn-Sham theory, or thereabouts.

You might want to try to find https://www.amazon.com/dp/981022771X/?tag=pfamazon01-20. It's a reprint of some of the most important papers in the field, the ones not in English (such as the original Born-Oppenheimer paper) are translated.

alxm said:
What are you writing, a thesis? I've read quite a number of those (and written some) that have to do with DFT, but I've never seen one that started quite that far back.
Seems like unnecessary work, frankly. After simply stating the Schrödinger equation and possibly the Born-Oppenheimer approximation so you have the electronic S.E.,
I'd suggest starting with Hartree-Fock and Kohn-Sham theory, or thereabouts.

You might want to try to find https://www.amazon.com/dp/981022771X/?tag=pfamazon01-20. It's a reprint of some of the most important papers in the field, the ones not in English (such as the original Born-Oppenheimer paper) are translated.

yes I am writting my thesis,,, i want to write a general introduction about ab initio methods (and descripe a solutions of schrodinger equation) as a starting point of the thesis...thank you for the book

Related to Original Schrodinger Equation Article in English

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given system. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular location at a given time.

2. Who is Erwin Schrodinger?

Erwin Schrodinger was an Austrian physicist who developed the Schrodinger equation in 1926. He is considered one of the founders of quantum mechanics and made significant contributions to the field.

3. What is the significance of the original Schrodinger equation article in English?

The original Schrodinger equation article in English was published in 1926 and is significant because it was the first publication of the equation. It helped lay the foundation for quantum mechanics and has been a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. How is the Schrodinger equation used in scientific research?

The Schrodinger equation is used in a variety of scientific research, particularly in the fields of quantum mechanics and theoretical physics. It is used to study the behavior of quantum particles and has applications in areas such as quantum computing and nuclear physics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Schrodinger equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Schrodinger equation. It does not take into account the effects of relativity and gravity, and it is not applicable to systems with very high energies or velocities. In such cases, more advanced equations, such as the Dirac equation, are used.