Original 1963 The Haunting on TCM tonight

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, "The Haunting" will be on TCM tonight at 7pm CST/8PM EST. The original 1963 horror thriller is a classic and is nothing to do with the crappy remake. The cast is excellent and the direction superb. This is horror at the peak of perfection--it is in your mind. The only thing better is to read the book by Ms. Jackson on a dark night when you are all alone, and "far from town."
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Original 1963 "The Haunting" on TCM tonight!

OMG!, the original 1963 horror thriller "The Haunting" will be on TCM, Turner Classic Movies, tonight at 7pm CST/8PM EST.

This is a classic, nothing to do with the crappy remake.

Don't miss it.

It is a "psychological" thriller, it's what you don't see that frightens you, and it will frighten you.

There is no blood, there is no slashing, today this would be rated "G." But, this is the scariest movie, ever. Every time I watch this masterpiece (and I have watched it over 50 times), I see or hear something new.

The density of the black and white is incredible. The camera angles and reflection shots are unsettling. The score is appropriately terrifying, from the ringing of tiny bells to the cannon ball rocking down the hall.

The cast is excellent. The direction superb. This is horror at the peak of perfection--it is in your mind. The only thing better is to read the book by Ms. Jackson on a dark night when you are all alone, and "far from town." As Stephen King said about Shirley Jackson, "She never had to shout." Mr. Wise is to be credited with bringing her whispers to the screen.

Rent this for Halloween. Or, own it forever. I still have trouble getting to sleep after I watch this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/

The scarriest part for me has always been when Claire Bloom and Julie Harris are in the bedroom together and the sounds start.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Wow, that was so good! They do not make movies like that anymore, such a shame.

Last edited:

Oh no! Totally missed it!

Hmm, this gives me an idea.

AJKing said:
Oh no! Totally missed it!

Hmm, this gives me an idea.
YOU MISSED IT! I made popcorn for you, and mulled cider, and caramel apples. :cry:

After all we meant to each other. :cry:

Evo said:
I made popcorn for you,

:eek:

Evo said:
and mulled cider,

:eek::eek:!

Evo said:
and caramel apples.

:eek::eek::eek:!

Evo said:
After all we meant to each other.

:bugeye: ... BY THE NINE, SOMEONE GET ME TO A TIME MACHINE

I don't know why movies of today aren't as creepy or scary like those of the past. More artistically driven?

Related to Original 1963 The Haunting on TCM tonight

What is "Original 1963 The Haunting"?

"Original 1963 The Haunting" is a horror film directed by Robert Wise and based on the novel "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson. It was released in 1963 and is considered a classic in the horror genre.

When was "Original 1963 The Haunting" released?

"Original 1963 The Haunting" was released on September 18, 1963.

Who directed "Original 1963 The Haunting"?

"Original 1963 The Haunting" was directed by Robert Wise, who also directed other notable films such as "West Side Story" and "The Sound of Music."

Is "Original 1963 The Haunting" based on a book?

Yes, "Original 1963 The Haunting" is based on the novel "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson. The novel has been adapted into several film and television versions, with the 1963 film being the first adaptation.

Why is "Original 1963 The Haunting" considered a classic?

"Original 1963 The Haunting" is considered a classic because of its masterful direction, unsettling atmosphere, and psychological horror elements. It has also been praised for its use of suggestion and ambiguity, rather than relying on graphic violence or jump scares.