Origin of the First Cell & Career Paths in Biomolecular Computing

In summary: The zones would gradually move away from each other, as the replicators within each specialized for different things, and they would eventually die off.So basically, the first cell might not have had anything resembling DNA or RNA, and it probably didn't need them. Instead, it probably replicated using some kind of molecule that hooked onto other molecules and copied itself.
cam875
can an educated person give me an explanation on how the first cell came to be? I mean how simple can a cell really be? and I thought of something, once a cell assembles why does it need DNA, as long as the current enzymes are not destroyed it does not need blueprints on how to create them again now does it? or am I thinking about it the wrong way, is DNA used to construct the cell initially at the beginning of its creation. Sorry for all the questions, answer what you no i just got excited and had a lot of questions lol.

also i am just wondering, I am someone who is very interested in getting into creating computer hardware out of biological molecules. I think it would be a cool job since its a new field that is still in its prelimenary stages. What would a good Bachelors degree be for getting into that? i was thinking biochemistry? any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Biology news on Phys.org
The simplist cell had no organelles at all, probably used some more primitive form of modern DNA, or RNA-- Some sort of Nucleic Acid-- and probably was supported by water as opposed to cytoplasm.

What probably happened was lipid structures floating around in the ocean absorbed other chemicals floating around with them, such as nucleotides, which could organize into strands-- Possibly divide, or split, which would split the structure as well.

That's probably not very accurate, though.

When a cell splits, everything is split between the two cells, so that would include those enzymes.

As for the last part, I have no idea.

Okay, MY specultion:
WAY before we had anything that could be called cells, we had molecular replicators
These MIGHT have some relation to modern RNA or DNA, but most likely not.

Once they were floating about, OTHER "parasitic" replicators would find a niche, namely to latch onto the parent replicator of a different molecular form, and replicate themselves, using the first as a template
(something like amino acid sequences latching onto RNA, now carefully regulated in the ribosomal process).

Thus, the primordial chemical soup would cluster into competing zones, within each zone a variety of replicating molecules would commonly be found together, because their co-existence was replicatively benificial to all of them.

Related to Origin of the First Cell & Career Paths in Biomolecular Computing

1. What is the current leading theory for the origin of the first cell?

The leading theory for the origin of the first cell is the RNA world hypothesis. This theory suggests that the first self-replicating molecules were RNA molecules, which could both store genetic information and catalyze chemical reactions. Over time, these RNA molecules evolved into the first cells.

2. How do biomolecular computers work?

Biomolecular computers use biological molecules, such as DNA or enzymes, to perform computational tasks. These molecules can be programmed to carry out specific reactions, allowing them to perform calculations and store information. They can also interact with each other to create complex systems, similar to traditional computers.

3. What are the potential applications of biomolecular computing?

Biomolecular computing has the potential to revolutionize fields such as medicine, environmental science, and data storage. Some possible applications include creating nanorobots to target and treat diseases, developing more efficient methods for converting renewable energy, and using DNA as a data storage medium.

4. What educational background is needed for a career in biomolecular computing?

A career in biomolecular computing typically requires a strong background in both biology and computer science. Many professionals in this field have degrees in biochemistry, molecular biology, or related fields, as well as experience in programming and data analysis.

5. What job opportunities are available in the field of biomolecular computing?

There are a variety of job opportunities available in the field of biomolecular computing, including research positions in academia, government, and industry. Some potential job titles include bioinformatics analyst, computational biologist, and biomolecular engineer. Additionally, there are opportunities for entrepreneurs to start their own companies in this rapidly growing field.