Organic Chemistry Geometric Isomers Lab

In summary, the experiment involved converting dimethyl maleate into dimethyl fumerate using 1 M Bromine in dimethylchlorine, a hot water bath, and light. The resulting substance was then recrystallized and its melting point was determined. One of the post-lab questions was whether the reverse reaction was possible, starting with dimethyl fumerate and obtaining dimethyl maleate. It was determined that due to the stability of dimethyl fumerate in its trans-isomer form, it is unlikely that the reverse reaction would yield a significant amount of dimethyl maleate.
ohgeecsea

Homework Statement

The experiment was changing dimethyl maleate into dimethyl fumerate, with the intent of being analogous to changing maleic acid into fumeric acid. In the experiment, we added 1 M Bromine in dimethylchlorine to our dimethyl fumerate, put the mixture in a hot water bath and next to a light for 10 minutes, then recrystallzied, filtered and got the melting point of the new substance.

I'm having trouble with one of the post-lab questions: Could you start with dimethyl fumerate, do the same reaction (and under experimental conditions where dimethyl maleate could be recovered) and get dimethyl maleate?

Homework Equations

I can't find the reaction anywhere online and I don't know how to type it out, but basically what happens is that Bromine with a free radical reacts with one of the double-bonded carbons to break the double bond and allow for rotation. Once rotation occurs, Bromine breaks free and a double bond is formed again. Thus producing the geometric isomer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking it's NOT possible to do the reverse direction. Dimethyl fumerate is the trans-isomer, and is therefore more stable. In equilibrium with a single bond, most of the molecules are going to be in trans. Therefore I think if you redid the experiment in the reverse direction, you might get some yield but not a respectable amount.

I'm not really sure and don't have a whole lot of confidence in this answer, so I just wanted to bounce the idea off of someone else, see if it makes sense to them. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good to me.

Your reasoning is correct. It is not possible to reverse the reaction and obtain dimethyl maleate from dimethyl fumerate. As you mentioned, dimethyl fumerate is the more stable geometric isomer and in equilibrium, most of the molecules will exist in this form. Reversing the reaction would require breaking the single bond and reforming the double bond, which would not be favorable under these conditions. Additionally, the experimental conditions used in the lab may not be sufficient to reverse the reaction and recover dimethyl maleate.

Related to Organic Chemistry Geometric Isomers Lab

1. What is the purpose of a geometric isomers lab in organic chemistry?

The purpose of a geometric isomers lab in organic chemistry is to study the different arrangements of atoms in a molecule, specifically in terms of their spatial orientation. This can help determine the physical and chemical properties of different isomers and their potential applications in various industries.

2. How are geometric isomers different from structural isomers?

Geometric isomers differ from structural isomers in that they have the same chemical formula and connectivity of atoms, but differ in the arrangement of these atoms in space. Structural isomers, on the other hand, have different chemical formulas and/or connectivity of atoms.

3. What techniques are commonly used in a geometric isomers lab?

Some common techniques used in a geometric isomers lab are nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, infrared (IR) spectroscopy, and chromatography. These techniques can help determine the structure and composition of different isomers.

4. How do geometric isomers affect the properties of a molecule?

The arrangement of atoms in a molecule can greatly affect its physical and chemical properties. For example, geometric isomers may have different melting and boiling points, solubility, and reactivity due to their different spatial orientations.

5. What are some real-world applications of geometric isomers?

Geometric isomers have various applications in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and fragrance, and materials science. For instance, different isomers of a drug molecule can have varying efficacy and side effects, while geometric isomers of a fragrance compound can have different scents.