Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Order Topology

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
I've got the following quote from James Munkers book on general topology

The positive integers \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}^+\) form an ordered set with a smallest element .The order topology on \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}^+\) is the discrete topology , for every one-point set is open : if n>1 then the one-open set \(\displaystyle \{n\}= (n-1,n+1) \) is a basis element ; and if n=1 , the one-point set \(\displaystyle \{1\}=[1,2)\) is a basis element .
I can't understand the two marked phrases :confused:

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I've got the following quote from James Munkers book on general topology

The positive integers $\mathbb{Z}^+$ form an ordered set with a smallest element. The order topology on $\mathbb{Z}^+$ is the discrete topology, for every one-point set is open : if $n>1$ then the one-open set $\{n\}=(n−1,n+1)$ is a basis element ; and if $n=1$ , the one-point set $\{1\}=[1,2)$ is a basis element.
I can't understand the two marked phrases :confused:
Well if you have a topological space $X$, then the order topology on $X$ is given by $\tau=\{(a,b):a,b\in X,\,a<b\}$. If we let $X=\mathbb{Z}^+=\{1,2,\ldots\}$, then these open sets in the order topology would be intervals that contain positive integers. Furthermore, we see that we can rewrite each interval as sets of integers: i.e. $(1,5)=\{2,3,4\}$, $(1,2) = \emptyset$, $(10,12)=\{11\}$, $(6,9)=\{7,8\}$, etc. Hence, each interval is a collection of integers, and is furthermore an element from $\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+)$ (the power set of $\mathbb{Z}^+$). So it turns out that $\tau=\{(a,b):a,b\in \mathbb{Z}^+,\,a<b\} =\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+)$, and hence the order topology on $\mathbb{Z}^+$ is the same as the discrete topology on $\mathbb{Z}^+$.

If $n>1$, it should be clear as to why $(n-1,n+1)$ are basis elements for the topology. But none of these particular basis elements can equal $\{1\}$! Since you restricted yourself to positive integers, we can't write $(0,2)=\{1\}$ since $0\notin\mathbb{Z}^+$. However, there must be a way to express $\{1\}$ as some combination of $B_i\in\mathcal{B}_{\tau}$ since $\{1\}\in\tau$. Thus, the only way to have $\{1\}\in\mathcal{B}_\tau$ (and hence in $\tau$) is to include 1 as an endpoint of some interval. Hence, $[1,2)=\{1\}$ does the job. Is this an open set though? Well, yes, since singleton sets are open by default.

I hope this clarifies somethings; I'm still not sure my explanation for the second part is good enough, but I'll think about it more in the next couple hours and update if necessary.

Last edited: