Order Parameter in a Gauge Theory, Can we find one in a Gauge Theory(like QCD)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding/defining an order parameter for studying phase transitions in a Gauge Theory, specifically in QCD. It is suggested that the quark and gluon condensate can serve as possible order parameters, which are related to confinement. The use of the Wilson Loop as a criterion for confinement is also mentioned, and it is recommended to switch to a lattice regularization to better understand its role.
pedroall
Hello Community!
I can't find a good answer(if there is) to my question.
When in statistical mechanics we can define the order parameter for to study some phase transition. we need to define a order parameter.
Now, I want to know if we can to define/find some "order parameter" for to study the phase transition in a Gauge Theory, for example, in QCD, which is a Gauge Theory and there we have different phase transition.
Then, a Order Parameter in a Gauge Theory: Can we find/define one in a Gauge Theory(like QCD)?
I hope some comment.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not 100% sure but I am confident that two possible order parameters for QCD are the quark and gluon condensate, i.e. the following expectation values: [itex]\langle 0|q\bar q|0\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\langle 0|F^a_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}_a|0\rangle[/itex]. These expectation values on the vacuum state are usually non-zero and determine, for example, the mass of the pion. The fact that they are non-zero is also closely related to confinement (see for example the MIT bag model). If I remember correctly, at sufficiently high temperature/density the might vanish again, indicating a change from a confined to a deconfined phase (see for example the Quark-Gluon-Plasma).

This is pretty well explained in Yagi book "Quark-Gluon-Plasma: From Big Bang to Little Bang".

I hope this is useful.

Likes pedroall
For pure gauge, one can use the Wilson loop.

Likes pedroall
Einj said:
I am not 100% sure but I am confident that two possible order parameters for QCD are the quark and gluon condensate, i.e. the following expectation values: [itex]\langle 0|q\bar q|0\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\langle 0|F^a_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}_a|0\rangle[/itex]. These expectation values on the vacuum state are usually non-zero and determine, for example, the mass of the pion. The fact that they are non-zero is also closely related to confinement (see for example the MIT bag model). If I remember correctly, at sufficiently high temperature/density the might vanish again, indicating a change from a confined to a deconfined phase (see for example the Quark-Gluon-Plasma).

This is pretty well explained in Yagi book "Quark-Gluon-Plasma: From Big Bang to Little Bang".

I hope this is useful.
Thank you Einj! for your comment, I will review your information and read the recomendation.

jfy4 said:
For pure gauge, one can use the Wilson loop.
How do you say "..use Wilson loop"?. Sorry, but, only I know which the Wilson loop it's a great criterion for confinement. The idea which I know it's a very and basic aplication of Wilson. Can you tell me some example or reference please? thank you!

pedroall said:
How do you say "..use Wilson loop"?. Sorry, but, only I know which the Wilson loop it's a great criterion for confinement. The idea which I know it's a very and basic aplication of Wilson. Can you tell me some example or reference please? thank you!

You want the expectation value of the Wilson Loop, ##\langle W \rangle = \text{Tr}[W e^{iS}]##. Perhaps the best way to work is to switch to a lattice regularization and visualize the Wilson Loop on a 3d lattice and see how it gives information about confinement through its perimeter and area.

Related to Order Parameter in a Gauge Theory, Can we find one in a Gauge Theory(like QCD)?

1. What is an order parameter in a gauge theory?

An order parameter in a gauge theory is a measurable quantity that characterizes the state of the system. In gauge theory, it is used to describe the symmetry breaking in the system and to determine the phase transitions that occur.

2. How is an order parameter related to gauge symmetry?

In gauge theory, an order parameter is related to gauge symmetry because it is used to determine the breaking of gauge symmetry in the system. It can also be used to identify the different phases of the system based on the symmetry breaking patterns.

3. Can an order parameter be found in a gauge theory like QCD?

Yes, an order parameter can be found in gauge theories like QCD (Quantum Chromodynamics). In QCD, the order parameter is related to the spontaneous breaking of chiral symmetry, which is responsible for the mass generation of quarks and the confinement of color charges.

4. How is an order parameter calculated in a gauge theory?

An order parameter in a gauge theory is calculated using mathematical techniques such as perturbative calculations, lattice simulations, and effective field theories. These methods involve solving equations and performing numerical calculations to determine the value of the order parameter.

5. What are the applications of understanding the order parameter in a gauge theory?

Understanding the order parameter in a gauge theory has various applications, including predicting the behavior of systems at different energy scales, studying the phase transitions in quantum chromodynamics, and gaining insights into the fundamental forces of nature. It also has practical applications in fields such as condensed matter physics, where gauge theories are used to describe systems such as superconductors and magnets.