Order parameter, correlation function and length

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking clarification on the relation between certain concepts and asking for an intuitive explanation. They also pose a question about Newton's second law and why things fall down instead of up. Another person suggests that they should believe in established physical principles and get more sleep.
TheDestroyer
Hello people,

I don't understand the relation between those concepts, I tried to read what's written in wikipedia about them but no use.

Can someone please elaborate more about the relation between them in some intuitive manner?

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Come on physicists! show me your powers :)! Please, I really need to understand this :'(.

Very well, I have an easier question though, since there is not a single comment!

Here is the question...

What's Newton's second law? and why do things fall down not up?

Think hard guys! it's not that easy :P

why don't things fall up? if you will answer on it you will answer on your second question...

You should start to believe in any general physical principles which were established by experimental way (or theoretical if it was proof by experiments or predicted of course)... and if you doubt one's own eyes you should sleep more...Denis

The order parameter, correlation function, and length are all important concepts used in statistical mechanics and condensed matter physics to describe the behavior of systems at the microscopic level.

The order parameter is a measure of the degree of organization or symmetry in a system. It can describe a phase transition, where the system changes from one state to another, such as from a liquid to a solid. The order parameter can also be used to describe the properties of a material, such as its magnetic or electrical properties.

The correlation function is a mathematical function that describes the relationship between two points in a system. It measures how the properties of one point are related to the properties of another point. In condensed matter physics, the correlation function is often used to study the behavior of particles in a material and how they interact with each other.

The length scale refers to the distance over which a physical property or behavior is observed. For example, in a magnetic material, the length scale can describe the distance over which magnetic interactions between particles occur. In statistical mechanics, the length scale is often used to describe the size of a system or the distance between particles.

The relation between these concepts is that the order parameter and correlation function are both related to the length scale of a system. As the length scale changes, the order parameter and correlation function can also change, indicating a change in the behavior or properties of the system. For example, as a material is heated, the length scale may increase, causing changes in the order parameter and correlation function, which can indicate a phase transition or change in the material's properties.

I hope this helps clarify the relationship between these concepts. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Related to Order parameter, correlation function and length

What is an order parameter?

An order parameter is a measure of the degree of order or organization in a system. It can be a physical quantity, such as the magnetization of a material, or an abstract concept, such as the alignment of molecules in a liquid crystal.

What is a correlation function?

A correlation function is a mathematical tool used to quantify the relationship between two variables in a system. It measures the degree of correlation or dependence between the variables and can provide information about the underlying physical processes at work.

What is the importance of order parameter and correlation function in statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, order parameter and correlation function are important concepts for understanding the behavior of complex systems. They can be used to describe phase transitions, critical phenomena, and other collective behaviors in systems with many interacting particles.

How are order parameter and correlation function related?

Order parameter and correlation function are closely related, as the correlation function can be used to calculate the order parameter in a system. The order parameter is often defined in terms of the correlation function, and changes in the correlation function can indicate changes in the order of the system.

What is the length scale associated with order parameter and correlation function?

The length scale associated with order parameter and correlation function is known as the correlation length. It represents the distance over which correlations between particles in a system decay, and it can provide information about the size and organization of structures within the system.